The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Random:
Is it true?

What stupid things have you been told and believed?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 22:59:41
I used to be far too gullible but even after wising up in the last few years I got duped a couple of years ago! After telling my other half how my Dad used to tease my Mum by making her believe weird stuff like the existence of 'cheese frogs' he (my other half) tried it on me, it's a long story but basically whilst looking through an OK magazine at a celebrity wedding there was pictures of ponies dressed as unicorns, with horns stuck to their head and everything. I commented on how cruel that was and he spent a good while trying to convince me they were actually real and acted in complete disbelief that I didn't know this! Eventually when I challenged him to say where they lived and why I haven't heard of them, he told me they lived in the mountains of Saudi Arabia and are native to there so aren't seen elsewhere, for about 2 seconds I actually started to believe him, until he burst out laughing

I have loads of stories like that that will probably come back to me but that is one of the most embarrassing I always remember

What's yours?

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:04:18
Oh I knew I'd start remembering more...when I was younger and we'd go to an Indian Restaurant my Dad used to tell me the round bits in Bombay Mix were elephants eyes
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:05:14
Hm.. I'll think of one soon.

Once at school someone told me friend she had a rat on her head. She freaked out and started screaming "GET IT OFF!!"

even though of course there was no rat. Amusing, to say the least.. she's the most gullible person I've ever known.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#4New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:07:59
That my uncle was Steve McQueen.

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:11:18
@Wellard Said

That my uncle was Steve McQueen.

I bet you were gutted when you found out it wasn't true.

Someone in uni convinced us their uncle was John Hannah, I was so jealous as it was around the time of The Mummy films and I loved him in those... thank god he was just a lying d***! The person who convinced us, not John Hannah!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#6New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:49:21
My hubby, when I first met him, used to tell me all KINDS of crap, that gullible me believed. lol
He'd say it with such sincerity! Am too embarrassed to list most; but one was, that marshmallows were actually made using soap scum. He went through this whole long winded explanation, and I came out from not believing to totally believing He is really good at this sort of thing...Until I bought a bag and checked the ingredients. (didn't have a computer back then )
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#7New Post! Feb 08, 2011 @ 23:57:07
That golden hamsters got their color because the breeder pissed on them all and the babies. Dad told me.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#8New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 00:01:48
@Grasshopper Said

That golden hamsters got their color because the breeder pissed on them all and the babies. Dad told me.

My brother used to tell me that about Mountain Dew soda; that it was pee that gave it it's color. I cried, and would never drink it again.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 01:56:18
My step Dad has a sister called Victoria and when he was still just dating my Mum told me his sister was actually Posh Spice...and that he knew David Beckham. I REALLY believed him - I knew she had a brother, and I LOVED the Spice Girls, and ManU. I almost cried when he eventually told me he had made it up

Also, we told a friend that barnacles on the bottom of ships are just the ones who escape the barnacle farm...the rest are made into...something, I can't actually remember, but it must have been somewhat plausible, cause he believed us
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#10New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 02:08:47
That I was intelligent!

I believed it all the way.....
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#11New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 02:24:20
When I was little, my dad told me brown eggs were wholewheat and white were regular eggs. Brown cows made chocolate milk, white cows gave white milk and the black and white cows were in charge of the cheese.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#12New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 03:06:41
On vacation one summer, when I was 12 and my sister was 9. We stopped at a diner. There was a Jackalope mounted on the wall. My sister and I were so awestruck that we believed the story about this Jackalope from the waitress.

Our parents went along with with the waitress was telling us, so we never doubted any of it.

About 30min or so after leaving the diner, my sister and I finally realized it was all made up.

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 09, 2011 @ 08:29:06
Loving these stories, keep em comin!!
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Mar 02, 2011 @ 19:49:42
I was with some colleagues in a pub, having a quiet after work drink one evening a couple of years ago. My friend was talking about a guy we all know, who everybody nicknames "Spocky" on account of his... erm... ears.

Another guy standing nearby came over to us, saying he couldn't help overhearing and was interested in Spocky, being as how he was an avid Star Trek fan. My colleagues reeled this guy completely in, weaving an incredulous story, completely off the cuff, that "Spocky" was actually the Secretary of the Devon and Cornwall Star Trek Association and was in the process of organising a covention which was going to be attended by William Shatner, no less.

I had to keep quiet.... If I'd said anything, I'd have given the game away completely. They really reeled this dude in and had him believeing them completely. He asked how he could get in touch with Spocky, so they gave this guy Spocky's work phone number.

He drunk up and left, giving us the "Live Long and Prosper" signal. He was so happy, I didn't have the heart to break the spell.

The next time we saw Spocky he had a right strop on... complaining about some idiot who kept phoning him at work wanting to go to a Star Trek convention or something and he couldn't get rid of the bloke......

I said nothing. It was for the best.

davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Mar 02, 2011 @ 20:07:06

My Dad convinced me as a kid that HMS Belfast was a cardboard and paper mache model...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs