RIP Ronnie Corbett

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 13:28:46
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35934024

He’s gone to that great TV studio in the sky, making them laugh there.
He was comic god, one half of one of the most popular duo in British TV for decades.
He could do it all, stand up, shaggy-dog stories, singing, dancing, comic characters...he could mimic anyone in UK society, from truck drivers, to lawyers to the aristocracy. He and his partner Barker were comic gold.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 15:41:10
Awwww what a shame. I must admit he wasn't my favourite entertainer of all time... in my opinion Ronnie Barker was the funnier and more talented of the duo..... but he was a lovely person and never stopped working to entertain people. He will be sadly missed.

Some of the one-liners that I liked:

"All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my right hand."

"This is a message for seven honeymoon couples in a hotel in Peebles: Breakfast was served three days ago."

"It was revealed in a government survey published today that the prime minister is doing the work of two men, Laurel and Hardy."

"This week I was asked to do a very important after-dinner speech. I said: "Do you want me to be funny?" They said: "No, just be yourself."

So, it's good night from me, and good night from him.

Goodnight, Ronnie.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 16:00:12
i have seen ronnie over the years. i like his humor, but first saw him maybe on ' the benny hill show '. he is a funny man to watch on tv. i have been trying remember where i seen other things ronnie has done over years.

i am of a fan of ronnie, it have seen so many things in the past. i didn't recognizes the name, when the topic was posted. when i saw ronnie's face, i knew who he was in minute.

rest in peace, ronnie!
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:16:49
@twilitezone911 Said

i have seen ronnie over the years. i like his humor, but first saw him maybe on ' the benny hill show '. he is a funny man to watch on tv. i have been trying remember where i seen other things ronnie has done over years.

i am of a fan of ronnie, it have seen so many things in the past. i didn't recognizes the name, when the topic was posted. when i saw ronnie's face, i knew who he was in minute.

rest in peace, ronnie!

He was best known for his double act with Ronnie Barker. Not surprisingly they were known as The Two Ronnies. The show was a Saturday evening hit on the BBC for many years.

They produced one of the funniest sketches ever with the brilliant "Four candles" skit. It's worth seven minutes of anybody's time.

shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:26:14
A very funny bloke who could pull off a wide range of accents (as a side note he was born and raised in Edinburgh).

Seemed like a pretty self effacing sort of bloke. I remember him in "Extras". Lovely little cameo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selected tweets:

Nicola Sturgeon, leader of the SNP: “Sad to hear about Ronnie Corbett’s death. I loved the Two Ronnies and feel lucky to have grown up in those years. Great comic & a proud Scot.”

Sir Michael Parkinson : “He was a very easy man to love. He was a perfect companion. He was bright. He could tell good stories. He was funny.”

Sir Bruce Forsyth : “I have lost a close and very dear friend and we have all lost one of the greatest comedians and entertainers this country has known.”

Steve Coogan : “Ronnie Corbett is the last of the BBC’s magic quartet of Morecambe and Wise and the Two Ronnies. The end of an era of comedy loved by the whole nation regardless of age, creed or class.”

Michael Palin : “Ronnie had a great sense of silliness, which I responded to greatly. He could do the serious stuff as well but there was a lovely sort of mischief, his eyes twinkled.”

Ricky Gervais : “RIP the lovely, funny legend Ronnie Corbett. It was an absolute honour & joy to have known him.”

Rob Brydon : “So saddened that Ronnie Corbett has passed away. A truly great comedian, a great man and a great friend. He was one of the special ones. RIP.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man from Dagenham has named his son TGF 308F. He said he may not be rich but when he eventually leaves his son his Ford Mondeo, at least he’ll have his own personalised number plate.”

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#6New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:28:27

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Mar 31, 2016 @ 17:32:18
@Jennifer1984 Said

He was best known for his double act with Ronnie Barker. Not surprisingly they were known as The Two Ronnies. The show was a Saturday evening hit on the BBC for many years.

They produced one of the funniest sketches ever with the brilliant "Four candles" skit. It's worth seven minutes of anybody's time.

when a teenager watching these bbc english comedy shows in 70's.

it take awhile understand the humor across the ocean. it is accent and sound of the words to relate as an american to understand wildest and things, i would would grow up in england to get the most of humor in this skit.

it is nice that two comedians talk slow enough to understand what we said. some kits have in the past. the dialog is so fast, it hard to understand what they are said.

what i got out of the skit, i thought it was funny.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#8New Post! Apr 01, 2016 @ 02:24:46

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#9New Post! Apr 01, 2016 @ 03:15:38
A few from the other Ronnie...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#10New Post! Apr 01, 2016 @ 03:44:13

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)