Homosexuality

Police Target Homophobic Abuse In Portsmouth

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 16, 2012 @ 06:44:19
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/05/15/portsmouth-police-crack-down-on-homophobic-abuse-from-passing-cars/

Glad to see something is being done about this form of hate crime at last.

This kind of thing used to happen to me and Amanda when we were at university in Pompey.... and we graduated in 2005..!!

Hampshire Constabulary have taken their time to get to grips with this, but better late than never, I suppose.

I remember one night, when a car drove down the pedestrianised Commercial Road, to target gay men coming out of Martha's Bar. The driver stopped, several men got out and one threw a bottle towards us. Thankfully it missed.

The problem is though, that most of the abuse comes from Navy personnel who get roaring drunk and think this is fun, knowing that even if they get picked up by the police, they will be handed over to the Naval Provost who will just take them back to the Naval Base and let them go.

Call me Little Miss Conspiracy Theorist if you will, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were no arrests on the night of the police operation because somehow, word got around the navy beforehand, that it was going to take place and they lay low on that night.

Do I mistrust the police..? Hardly. I'm married to a copper...!! But the LGBT community in general has a lack of confidence in the police service which needs to be addressed. I think this article says a lot...

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/04/18/comment-the-gay-community-the-police-and-the-question-of-trust/

I am highly aware of the figures shown on the table, that relate to Devon and Cornwall. Very telling.

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 16, 2012 @ 08:02:35
@anciensunited Said

well, maybe if hordes of homo`s didnt wait by the ship in hope as she comes in... yeah, it does happen.

Hordes of homos waiting for ships to come in...? Yeah, right. Have you seen the state of British sailors...?

Portsmouths gay men are fed up, not hard up.

PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#3New Post! May 17, 2012 @ 21:32:44
...Lesbian and Gay Liaison Officers ?

" The problem is though, that most of the abuse comes from Navy personnel who get roaring drunk and think this is fun, knowing that even if they get picked up by the police, they will be handed over to the Naval Provost who will just take them back to the Naval Base and let them go. "

So what ?
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 18, 2012 @ 10:20:23
@PTF Said

...Lesbian and Gay Liaison Officers ?

" The problem is though, that most of the abuse comes from Navy personnel who get roaring drunk and think this is fun, knowing that even if they get picked up by the police, they will be handed over to the Naval Provost who will just take them back to the Naval Base and let them go. "

So what ?

So to date, the police have been failing in their duty to:

Uphold public order

Mantain the Queen's Peace

Protect citizens from abusive / antisocial behaviour

Failing in their duty to prosecute crime.

Perhaps this may be the norm where you come from, but we take a dim view of such things in the civilised world.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs