Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#1New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 15:58:25
Is there a line between the two?

I know two extremely Introverted people, everything seems to be them, them, them. Also they don't seem aware of the world, they are just stuck in their own heads and appear totally ignorant of everyone/everything else.

When Im talking to people, I'm normally that out my own head space, I basically don't exist. If I think/analyse what Im saying in conversation I will just freeze up.

Yet with the difference between intro and extro types (energy source and cognitive focus) is there actually a difference between extreme introversion and selfishness.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 16:03:39
Introversion can be due to many things... some might...

Shyness
Autism
Agoraphobia
Atychiphobia
etc.

One can be selfish and not introverted in the slightest...in fact some of the most selfish people are probably very extroverted.

Banned

#3New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 16:06:42
@chaski Said

Shyness
Autism
Agoraphobia
Atychiphobia
etc.

They have nothing to do with Introversion. They are traits that can affect both Introverts and Extroverts.

If an Introvert isn't aware that they are an Introvert and thinks they are one of the above and tries to be an extro, then they will not be happy with life.

Banned

#4New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 16:08:16
@chaski Said

One can be selfish and not introverted in the slightest...in fact some of the most selfish people are probably very extroverted.

Yeah I know that. I wasn't asking if everyone can be selfish. Theres a specific reason Im comparing selfishness to Extreme Introversion.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 16:49:40

Should we be what we are?

someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#6New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 19:11:22
@Hypnotica Said

There is a difference. I'm not sure it can be narrowed down to "a line."

@Hypnotica Said

I know two extremely Introverted people, everything seems to be them, them, them. Also they don't seem aware of the world, they are just stuck in their own heads and appear totally ignorant of everyone/everything else.

When Im talking to people, I'm normally that out my own head space, I basically don't exist. If I think/analyse what Im saying in conversation I will just freeze up.

Yet with the difference between intro and extro types (energy source and cognitive focus)

And the rest of this is just coincidence so...

@Hypnotica Said

is there actually a difference between extreme introversion and selfishness.

Yes.

#7New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 19:18:25
@Hypnotica Said

Yet with the difference between intro and extro types (energy source and cognitive focus) is there actually a difference between extreme introversion and selfishness.

Most people have two aspects to their nature.

One aspect (extroversion) is directed towards the outer world of people, and things. The other aspect (introversion) is directed inward to the inner world of ideas, and imagination.

These two aspects of personality are opposite but complementary.

Most people have a preference for either the outer or the inner world (either the extroversion or introversion) and this preference plays the dominant role in their behavior patterns.

Your key word is extreme. Few people are completely introverted or extroverted and such people find it difficult to function. I suppose that it could be considered pathology.

I think a balance would be ideal.

Banned

#8New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 19:40:37
@Erimitus Said

Your key word is extreme. Few people are completely introverted or extroverted and such people find it difficult to function. I suppose that it could be considered pathology.

I put that word in for a reason. Its the extreme Introverts that I am talking about. Its like they are not aware of the outer world. I only know 2 people who are like this. But the first one, I actually thought was a selfish arrogant c**t to be honest. Now I understand about Intro and Extro, yeah it does make sense.

But do these people not realise that it is their OTT focus on their inner world (whatever that phrase actually means, I would love an answer to that), that drives people away. Then from what I have seen they complain and get miserable because of their own focus.

Sure I understand everyones favourite topic is themselves. But that dosnt mean be ME ME ME.

But like Carl Jung said

Quote:
There is no such thing as a pure introvert or extrovert. Such a person would be in the lunatic asylum
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#9New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 21:07:08
I guess that would depend on how you mean 'extreme introvert' in this instance. From the sound of your friends they might indeed be introverts but there also seems to be a narcissistic element involved as well.

I know I'm an introvert and in that I'm very 'selfish' about my time, preferring to spend my down time away from the crowds to do my own thing. But its not selfish to the point of thinking that my own needs, wants or thoughts are any more 'important' than anyone else's. I'm very aware of other peoples feelings although maybe not so much as to what they are doing from day to day. I don't really care to much about the day to day trivial's, day to day is just what you have to do, but I do care if there is some emotional or mental stresses going on. If so then I would give my time to them to listen and help if possible. I'm empathetic to the emotional content.

To my way of thinking 'selfish' is a lack of empathy to others needs or feelings. Trivializing them in context to their own personal interests.

Introversion being an avoidance of large, social groupings because they are very draining, mentally and emotionally. Time alone then being a way to recharge.

Introversion does not make one unsympathetic to others feelings or needs though their expression of such might be lacking at times. Selfish just doesn't really care.

So yes, in answer to your questioning, I do think there is a difference between the two.

#10New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 22:06:42
@Octavarium Said

I guess that would depend on how you mean 'extreme introvert' in this instance. From the sound of your friends they might indeed be introverts but there also seems to be a narcissistic element involved as well.

I know I'm an introvert and in that I'm very 'selfish' about my time, preferring to spend my down time away from the crowds to do my own thing. But its not selfish to the point of thinking that my own needs, wants or thoughts are any more 'important' than anyone else's. I'm very aware of other peoples feelings although maybe not so much as to what they are doing from day to day. I don't really care to much about the day to day trivial's, day to day is just what you have to do, but I do care if there is some emotional or mental stresses going on. If so then I would give my time to them to listen and help if possible. I'm empathetic to the emotional content.

To my way of thinking 'selfish' is a lack of empathy to others needs or feelings. Trivializing them in context to their own personal interests.

Introversion being an avoidance of large, social groupings because they are very draining, mentally and emotionally. Time alone then being a way to recharge.

Introversion does not make one unsympathetic to others feelings or needs though their expression of such might be lacking at times. Selfish just doesn't really care.

So yes, in answer to your questioning, I do think there is a difference between the two.

That is how I understand it too. An introvert may be selfish (egocentric) or altruistic, and so can an extrovert.

Most people, I suspect, are selfish to some degree.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 22:11:05
Introverts, whom I've come in contact with, simply are not 'out there' because they don't have anything substantial to add to anything that's already been implemented. I don't mean this in a bad way either - they tend to understand the saying 'Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools speak because....'

Aside from not being creatively energetic when it comes to conversation another choice for keeping to one's self (ie; Lone Wolf) would be to avoid gathering moss before one has managed to financially fortify themselves.

Mark Zuckerberg may never have gotten as far as he did if he had left doors open to a social life allowing many in whom may have screwed him up from the starting line.

#12New Post! Jun 12, 2014 @ 22:25:15
@Electric_Banana Said

Introverts, whom I've come in contact with, simply are not 'out there' because they don't have anything substantial to add to anything that's already been implemented. I don't mean this in a bad way either - they tend to understand the saying 'Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools speak because....'

Aside from not being creatively energetic when it comes to conversation another choice for keeping to one's self (ie; Lone Wolf) would be to avoid gathering moss before one has managed to financially fortify themselves.

Mark Zuckerberg may never have gotten as far as he did if he had left doors open to a social life allowing many in whom may have screwed him up from the starting line.

I do not see introversion or extroversion as either good or bad. personality is the result of nature and nurture. We are dealt a hand and we play the cards we end up with.

alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#13New Post! Jun 13, 2014 @ 01:10:18
I think it is selfish to expect a person to play an extroverted role for the sake of entertaining you.

I tend to be highly introverted, and highly selfless. I know plenty of very extroverted people that I consider to be selfish.

Introversion and extroversion refer to how a person recharges, how they process new information, etc.

Selfishness vs. altruism is focused on whose needs you value.

Two completely different elements in my mind.

Banned

#14New Post! Jun 13, 2014 @ 08:00:41
@alk1975 Said

I think it is selfish to expect a person to play an extroverted role for the sake of entertaining you.

I tend to be highly introverted, and highly selfless. I know plenty of very extroverted people that I consider to be selfish.

Introversion and extroversion refer to how a person recharges, how they process new information, etc.

Selfishness vs. altruism is focused on whose needs you value.

Two completely different elements in my mind.

Personally I wouldn't class conversation as entertaining someone. Its conversation.

That said, I know about the extro/intro recharging NOW. So where as I cant get my head around how being alone allows someone to recharge their emotional state, I understand that that's just the way it is.

Back when I wasn't aware, and I thought that intro just meant shy and extro meant noisy (totally wrong I know, you can get shy extroverts, shock, horror), I had a friend who I now know to be an intro, when he wasn't paying any attention to stuff around him and appeared in his head, I thought he was just not interested in what we were doing and had no enthusiasm what so ever. And when he went to a social gathering and needed a couple of days to recharge, I thought he was being anti-social. That said I know about this stuff now.

If only they had taught basic things like the difference between intro and extro at school instead of stuff like history.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jun 13, 2014 @ 16:26:22
@Hypnotica Said

If only they had taught basic things like the difference between intro and extro at school instead of stuff like history.

History does tend to piss off a lot of people and we're still not certain yet whether or not it's all fabricated.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs