The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Fellow believers. You say you are saved and non-believers go to hell. Well, ----

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 · >>
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#121New Post! Sep 09, 2013 @ 21:32:57
And this whole thing about "Hell" - I don't believe that most Christians feel at ease or liberty to express indifference with the concept:

GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#122New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 16:49:05
I agree. In fact, I think they show their true stripes and the fact that they love to hate so much that they show that they embrace the concept of purposeless torture in hell.

They will change church in fact if their preacher tells them the truth about hell.

That is quite a disgusting trait that Christianity propagates.

Regards
DL
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#124New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 17:23:55
@JR_Sanford Said

Whoa, doesn't "God" Love all his children? After all didn't "God" create all of this?

J.R.

Not all are God's children. Until we accept him as a Father, we are simply His creation.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#125New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 17:40:41
@GreatestIam2 Said

I agree. In fact, I think they show their true stripes and the fact that they love to hate so much that they show that they embrace the concept of purposeless torture in hell.

They will change church in fact if their preacher tells them the truth about hell.

That is quite a disgusting trait that Christianity propagates.

Regards
DL

So you say. So you think. Interesting that you're harking on people for being human.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#126New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 21:09:09
@someone_else_again Said

Not all are God's children. Until we accept him as a Father, we are simply His creation.

So not a father as an earthly father is?

I think the point is important i.e. that we are indeed ALL children of God. If such is not the fundamental reality then we must end with a salvation of works, however subtle such a "works" may seem.

"Salvation" - as I see it - is a realization of that which eternally IS, NOT the result of a choice that determines whether we are "saved" or not.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Here is the Pure Land Buddhist perspective, speaking of the teaching of Shinran, one of the "founding fathers" of Pure land Buddhism......

According to Shinran, salvation is entirely a matter of the Vow* (Grace). It does not hang on events and conditions of time and space, or the imposition of man and society. Salvation cannot rest on chance factors. Shinran makes it clear that the reality of Grace requires nothing from the side of man, including the act of faith, as the causal basis for birth in the Pure Land. Otherwise the emphasis on the Vow (Grace) would be devoid of meaning and significance. Our residual karmic bondage may influence the point in our experience when we become aware of Amida's compassion, but it is not a factor in determining whether or not we actually receive that compassion.

We are suggesting that from the standpoint of Grace (the Vow) all are equally saved even now, despite the presence or absence of the experience of faith itself. The reason for this is that salvation depends on Grace and not on any finite condition.

Someone may ask then what is the point of being religious, if we are saved in any case? This is an important question. However, it reflects the virtually universal notion that religion is a means to an end. We get the benefit of salvation from being religious. For Shinran, however, religion becomes the way to express gratitude for the compassion that supports all our life. It is not a tool for ego advancement or gaining benefits.

The point of being religious for Shinran is that when we come to have faith in the Original Vow (Grace) and live in its light, we truly become free to live a full and meaningful existence in this life.

Shinran's perspective permits a person to see deeply into their life to detect the springs of compassion which sustains it; it allows them to participate and associate with all types of people despite their unattractiveness or difficulty because they understand the potentiality that works in their very being. In perceiving the compassion that embraces all life, the person of faith can themselves become an expression of that compassion touching the lives of others.

All just offered in the interests of Inter-Faith dialogue.

Ottawa, Canada
#127New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 22:57:43
@someone_else_again Said

So you don't care about those who believe it exists, you're just addressing those who want non-believers to go to Hell?

I'm just trying to pinpoint who you're talking to.

Love is a verb. It is not something that you feel, it is something that you do. I think it would utterly sicken me to do so, but by the Grace of God, I could.

Your kids are something

You do not feel love!

How terrible for you.

As to your inquiry on this "Believers who believe in a hell for those not of their ilk."

Those who believe in hell, the immoral construct being sold by Christianity that is to hold our evil souls. They remain Christian even with that immoral construct as a part of their theology.

Not recognizing the immorality of such a construct,indicates that their morals have been compromised by their religion. They follow more of a Satan than a God.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#128New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:00:29
@someone_else_again Said

Yet he hated Esau in the womb before he could do good or evil.

Strange that he can hate the unborn but cannot love them.

Regards
DL
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#129New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 22:59:51
@GreatestIam2 Said

You do not feel love!

How terrible for you.

Interesting interpretation of what I said. But no, I don't feel "love," I feel "loveD." You don't feel verbs.

The feeling that many ascribe to love is not actually love.

@GreatestIam2 Said

As to your inquiry on this "Believers who believe in a hell for those not of their ilk."

Those who believe in hell, the immoral construct being sold by Christianity that is to hold our evil souls. They remain Christian even with that immoral construct as a part of their theology.

Not recognizing the immorality of such a construct,indicates that their morals have been compromised by their religion. They follow more of a Satan than a God.

Regards
DL

Oh.. I see where you're going with this. I disagree but won't argue because it's a waste of both of our time.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#130New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:00:22
@GreatestIam2 Said

Yet he hated Esau in the womb before he could do good or evil.

Strange that he can hate the unborn but cannot love them.

Regards
DL

Where did I say anything like that?

Ottawa, Canada
#131New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:03:31
@someone_else_again Said

So you say. So you think. Interesting that you're harking on people for being human.

We are all human but it takes religion to make humans so evil that they would not see the immorality of creating such an immoral construct.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
Voltaire

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#132New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:11:11
@someone_else_again Said

Interesting interpretation of what I said. But no, I don't feel "love," I feel "loveD." You don't feel verbs.

The feeling that many ascribe to love is not actually love.

Oh.. I see where you're going with this. I disagree but won't argue because it's a waste of both of our time.

@someone_else_again Said

Where did I say anything like that?

Post 126.

Regards
DL
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#133New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:22:59
@someone_else_again Said

From the OT

The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#134New Post! Sep 10, 2013 @ 23:24:50
@GreatestIam2 Said

You do not feel love!

How terrible for you.

dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#135New Post! Sep 11, 2013 @ 08:05:24
@dookie Said

So not a father as an earthly father is?

I think the point is important i.e. that we are indeed ALL children of God. If such is not the fundamental reality then we must end with a salvation of works, however subtle such a "works" may seem.

"Salvation" - as I see it - is a realization of that which eternally IS, NOT the result of a choice that determines whether we are "saved" or not.

Namu Amida Butsu!

Here is the Pure Land Buddhist perspective, speaking of the teaching of Shinran, one of the "founding fathers" of Pure land Buddhism......

According to Shinran, salvation is entirely a matter of the Vow* (Grace). It does not hang on events and conditions of time and space, or the imposition of man and society. Salvation cannot rest on chance factors. Shinran makes it clear that the reality of Grace requires nothing from the side of man, including the act of faith, as the causal basis for birth in the Pure Land. Otherwise the emphasis on the Vow (Grace) would be devoid of meaning and significance. Our residual karmic bondage may influence the point in our experience when we become aware of Amida's compassion, but it is not a factor in determining whether or not we actually receive that compassion.

We are suggesting that from the standpoint of Grace (the Vow) all are equally saved even now, despite the presence or absence of the experience of faith itself. The reason for this is that salvation depends on Grace and not on any finite condition.

Someone may ask then what is the point of being religious, if we are saved in any case? This is an important question. However, it reflects the virtually universal notion that religion is a means to an end. We get the benefit of salvation from being religious. For Shinran, however, religion becomes the way to express gratitude for the compassion that supports all our life. It is not a tool for ego advancement or gaining benefits.

The point of being religious for Shinran is that when we come to have faith in the Original Vow (Grace) and live in its light, we truly become free to live a full and meaningful existence in this life.

Shinran's perspective permits a person to see deeply into their life to detect the springs of compassion which sustains it; it allows them to participate and associate with all types of people despite their unattractiveness or difficulty because they understand the potentiality that works in their very being. In perceiving the compassion that embraces all life, the person of faith can themselves become an expression of that compassion touching the lives of others.

All just offered in the interests of Inter-Faith dialogue.

Just to add in relation to the above and because of a few points raised by others in the last few posts.........About our love in relation to institutionalised religion, irrespective of whether love is a verb, a noun or anything inbetween.

Not seeking to dumb down but as often others say they do not understand a word I post ( ), one can see Institutionalised religion as claiming something along the lines of "If you say the word "phonutisalition" before you die you will be saved." Thus "love"
- or rather "true" love - becomes for that religion inevitable associated with seeking to get others to say the word - otherwise it would not be true love. The point of loving another purely for their own sake is lost.

One can see this played out in the Inquisition. The logic is perfect. Only by believing a certain theology can one be saved. Any other belief is of no use. Therefore those who do not have the orthodox belief are doomed to eternal torment. Therefore to burn them is a loving option. Why? Simply because 1) they will burn eternally anyway so what difference does a few more minutes make? 2) If left alive and able to live with others they could corrupt them and thus cause their damnation, and 3) the possibility that when, in feeling the flames, they come to see the error of their ways, they just might "repent" and thus enjoy an eternity of joy rather than torment.

As I see it- and others are obviously free to think otherwise - the only reason we no longer have any form of Inquisitional situation is twofold....One, no religion (or denomination) really has the power to impose itself as it once was able to, and two, at heart, most people don't really believe in it anymore with such certainty and ardour.

But the real point - at least as I see it - is that those who claim that "true" Christians would never act in the ways that they HAVE INDEED ACTED throughout history are missing the point entirely. Quite frankly, to just quote a few verses from the Bible that tell us to "love one another" and because of this to claim that such acts perpetrated in the past were sub-christian is a misguided claim.

If a creed claims that to be saved one must say the magic word, then TRUE love is to get others to say the word.

Anyway, my apologies. Perhaps I now have too much time on my hands.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs