Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#31New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:17:20
@PerfectDreamX Said

I believe it does contribute to it but ok, maybe you're reading the wrong s***

hmm, a little google might help.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-08/acs-swn081007.php

I think I've had diabetes long enough to know. I was nine years old, nobody else in my family has it and we all follow the same diet. Yeah, my diet
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#32New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:18:23
@HiImDan Said

I think I've had diabetes long enough to know. I was nine years old, nobody else in my family has it and we all follow the same diet. Yeah, my diet

Diet isn't the only cause. It's a contributing factor. It's not required, either.

No offense, but having diabetes doesn't make you an expert on its causes or pathology.
spaceboy01 On January 19, 2009

, Florida
#33New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:26:08
@jonnythan Said

The body processes HFCS just fine.

You're suggesting that our bodies can process corn syrup with genetically altered enzymes that, in whole, is made from genetically modified corn? Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Pun very much intended. HFCS is NOT a natural ingredient.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#34New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:28:40
@jonnythan Said

Diet isn't the only cause. It's a contributing factor. It's not required, either.

That's what I'm saying, the cause of type 1, 1.5 and gestational have nothing to do with diet. Type 2 SOMETIMES does, but not everyone who has type two has it on account of diet, it can be caused by shock. And as far as "having it doesn't make you an expert" is concerned, I studied nutrition in college among other things. I've also listened to dieticians and doctors most of my life. I don't claim to be an "expert" but I know a few things.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#35New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:29:50
@spaceboy01 Said

You're suggesting that our bodies can process corn syrup with genetically altered enzymes that, in whole, is made from genetically modified corn? Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Pun very much intended. HFCS is NOT a natural ingredient.

HFCS does not have "genetically altered enzymes."

HFCS is not made from genetically modified corn. Well, some of it may be these days, but generally not.

HFCS is, indeed, natural. It's processed, yes, but entirely natural. It's basically made by having enzymes process corn starch into glucose and then using more enzymes to convert the glucose to fructose.
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#36New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:31:30
@HiImDan Said

have you really read what doctors or scientist have said?

and no one said this was your cause. The cause could be something simple as high blood pressure, it varies. Also I said it contributes or increases the chances, look I'm not an expert on this s*** but I think you need to read up on this more before you start taking shots.

<~~ right back at ya buddy
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#37New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:33:15
@HiImDan Said

That's what I'm saying, the cause of type 1, 1.5 and gestational have nothing to do with diet. Type 2 SOMETIMES does, but not everyone who has type two has it on account of diet, it can be caused by shock. And as far as "having it doesn't make you an expert" is concerned, I studied nutrition in college among other things. I've also listened to dieticians and doctors most of my life. I don't claim to be an "expert" but I know a few things.

The vast majority of diabetes cases are type 2.

Diet and obesity are, indeed, "causes" of diabetes type 2.
spaceboy01 On January 19, 2009

, Florida
#38New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 04:54:02
@jonnythan Said

HFCS does not have "genetically altered enzymes."

HFCS is not made from genetically modified corn. Well, some of it may be these days, but generally not.

HFCS is, indeed, natural. It's processed, yes, but entirely natural. It's basically made by having enzymes process corn starch into glucose and then using more enzymes to convert the glucose to fructose.

From which source do you base your information? HFCS is so unnatural it is f***ing ridiculous. The process by which it is made is unnatural and so are the enzymes used to make it.

"Two of the enzymes used, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable. Enzymes are large proteins and through genetic modification specific amino acids in the enzymes are changed or replaced so the enzyme's "backbone" won't break down or unfold. This allows the industry to get the enzymes to higher temperatures before they become unstable. According to Dr. Field, all fructose must be metabolized in the liver. The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic." HFCS contains more fructose than sugar and this fructose is more immediately available because it is not bound up in sucrose. Unfortunately HFCS is used in many products aimed at children."

https://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/honey.html

https://www.celsias.com/article/high-fructose-corn-syrup-not-so-natural-after-all/
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#39New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:06:38
High Fructose Corn Syrup should be avoided if possible. It makes perfect sense that someone that is naturally prone to anxiety attacks could be set off by eating something that is absorbed by the body so quickly. I'm sure HFCS isn't the only food product that contributes to your anxiety attacks, but by avoiding foods that contain it, you are eating healthier and more naturally. I am sure this makes you feel more balanced and healthier overall.

Personally, I don't need to search all over the internet to prove or disprove this theory. It's called common sense; if you have a brain that is naturally hyper active, adding substances that enhance brain activity are going to make it worse. My motto is if it is made by man, avoid it if you can.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#40New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:12:43
@spaceboy01 Said

From which source do you base your information? HFCS is so unnatural it is f***ing ridiculous. The process by which it is made is unnatural and so are the enzymes used to make it.

"Two of the enzymes used, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable. Enzymes are large proteins and through genetic modification specific amino acids in the enzymes are changed or replaced so the enzyme's "backbone" won't break down or unfold. This allows the industry to get the enzymes to higher temperatures before they become unstable. According to Dr. Field, all fructose must be metabolized in the liver. The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic." HFCS contains more fructose than sugar and this fructose is more immediately available because it is not bound up in sucrose. Unfortunately HFCS is used in many products aimed at children."

Enzymes are very natural. Your body is chock full of thousands of types of enzymes. They're proteins.

All enzymes do is catalyze or force chemical reactions. Enzymes are used to do all kinds of food processing - enzymes help form yogurt out of milk, and no one is saying that yogurt is unnatural because it is created with the help of enzymes.

HFCS is just corn starch that has had the starch molecules broken down and formed into glucose and fructose molecules. That's all. There are no exotic checmicals in it. It's just fructose - the same stuff you find in, say, apples.

Most of the enzymes used in the production of HFCS are found in the human body to begin with - they are the same enzymes that break down the complex starch polysaccharides into monosaccharides to begin with.

Actual high fructose corn syrup is made up almost entirely of glucose and fructose molecules - both simple sugars that are naturally occurring in many food items.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#41New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:14:52
I cut it out of my diet about 2 years ago. Not completely but as much as I can. It is good cause it makes me make a lot of my food from scratch. I buy bakery bread and cheese and meat. natural peanut butter. I don't drink soda. Anyways food is so much better tasting with out it. I had a sandwich the other week at someones house. it was wonder bread and skippy peanut butter. It was so sweet I didn't like it at all. they put corn syrup in the bread and the peanut butter yuck. So i recommend cutting it out just for better food and eaisy way to cut calories but still eat what you want.
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#42New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:15:23
@jonnythan Said

Sounds like unverified health nut crazy talk.

HFCS is not exactly good for you, but it's not awful either. The problem with it is that it's in everything and people tend to consume hundreds of grams of it every day. This massive intake of pure, refined sugar really messes with the glycemic cycle and can over time contribute heavily to obesity and diabetes.

I thought people had just watched that episode of Boston Legal.
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#43New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:19:23
https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Regulation/HFCS-is-not-natural-says-FDA

cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#44New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:21:24
I learned in my nutrition class that you can have 30% of your calories come from sugar. it is not the sugar its the excess calories and HFCS makes it really easy to have so many excess calories.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#45New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 05:22:32
Eh, technicalities based on the origin of the enzyme molecules used during the production process. They're basically saying some HFCS can be called "natural" but some can't, even though the end products are chemically identical.

They didn't even make any sort of ruling on the use of the term natural. Apparently the FDA does not have any sort of restrictions or regulations concerning the use of the term.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs