Cats, and drinking water

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#1New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:45:38
I came across the link below, (and find it quite helpful) whilst searching for something at the webmd..

They say here, that cats, don't like to drink water...and that dry cat food should be avoided, as cats get most of their water through their food, (dating back to their days in the wild or something such as that)..

Now, MY cats LOVE water, and drink every chance they get, wheter they get it from their bowl, or preferably from a running faucet, - which they never miss their chance for whenever they hear the tap running, and that is quite often!
Further, they LOVE their dry cat food, preferring it over all else, even attempts at table food!

So, I'm wondering, are my cats unusual? Or does what they say relate to the majority of cats?

https://pets.webmd.com/
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:48:25
I think canned food gives cats gas and stinky poop. Even the good brands. Or at least it does mine They get dry food and water.
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#3New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:49:54
I have 2 cats that drink water like you are saying and 2 that only drink when they need it. My vet has told me the same about the wet food, but to be honest i free feed and they only like the wet as a treat. One good thing is the dry is good for there teeth!
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#4New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:50:01
Well I hear tuna kills cats, probably best to avoid that.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:50:43
Oh yeah for the teeth dry food is the best! Harper had horrid teeth before I got him. I don't want to go thru that with a cat!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:52:55
What you think your cats "love" is immaterial. You have no idea what they "love" or don't love. They drink the water because they're thirsty and they need it.

The web site is absolutely correct. Drinking large amounts of water, as is required by cats who eat dry food, is unnatural.

Dry food is simply poor nutrition for cats. It's not good for them. And it's no better for their teeth. That's some silly old myth.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:53:48
@Pete Said

Yeah, I hear it's bad for them too. I was quite surpised..
luckily, the few times I tried to give mine tuna as a treat, (before learning of this), they turned their noses up at it!
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:54:33
@Pete Said

My cat eats tuna.
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#9New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:55:58
@jonnythan Said

What you think your cats "love" is immaterial. You have no idea what they "love" or don't love. They drink the water because they're thirsty and they need it.

The web site is absolutely correct. Drinking large amounts of water, as is required by cats who eat dry food, is unnatural.

Dry food is simply poor nutrition for cats. It's not good for them. And it's no better for their teeth. That's some silly old myth.

A silly myth that ever vet i have gone to has said. Hmmm
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:57:06
Just FYI, Pete's post is a joke. It's a reference to a former poster who said flat-out that tuna kills cats dead, usually in less than a day. It's one of the more famous events in TFS lore.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#11New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:57:48
@jonnythan Said

Okay, I've never sat down and asked my cats what they love or don't love, true. But the fact that they won't/or will only eat certain things is a pretty good indicator I think of what they like.

I'm not arguing what the webmd is saying..just asking people what their experiences are with their cats.
(I have tried to give my cats wet food, and tried many different brands, but they will not, but rarely eat it..
What am I to do in this situation? I can't force it upon them.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:58:46
@jonnythan Said

Just FYI, Pete's post is a joke. It's a reference to a former poster who said flat-out that tuna kills cats dead, usually in less than a day. It's one of the more famous events in TFS lore.

That may be, but according to that link, it's true.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:58:47
@xTeddyx Said

A silly myth that ever vet i have gone to has said. Hmmm

Vets, in general, know nothing or next to nothing about feline nutrition. It's not something they really teach in veterinary school.

The little they do know comes almost exclusively from the food manufacturers themselves, primarily Hill's and Nutro. Both of these companies make dry cat foods, so it's no surprise they in general don't have much critical to say about dry cat foods.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#14New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:59:45
@jonnythan Said

Oh.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! May 12, 2010 @ 16:59:56
@sTreetAngeL Said

Okay, I've never sat down and asked my cats what they love or don't love, true. But the fact that they won't/or will only eat certain things is a pretty good indicator I think of what they like.

I'm not arguing what the webmd is saying..just asking people what their experiences are with their cats.
(I have tried to give my cats wet food, and tried many different brands, but they will not, but rarely eat it..
What am I to do in this situation? I can't force it upon them.

Feed them whatever you want to feed them. No one is telling you to do any differently.

It's especially hard to change the eating habits of adult cats, as they are very picky eaters and generally have fairly delicate digestive systems.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs