The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Believers of reincarnation. Are we in Heaven and just slumming in Hell?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#2New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 13:52:01
I'll let you know when I get there,if I go there
ybom On June 04, 2010

#3New Post! Oct 24, 2008 @ 17:09:50
On one hand the human body and soul has unknown potentials. On the other hand we are repressed by society, daily.

I suggest determining based on those first and then move on to the more complex issues.
AgentSmith On December 25, 2008

#4New Post! Oct 25, 2008 @ 15:57:25
In my humble opinion I think that the accumulated knowledge of human existence decidedly negates the existence of a super being. Intelligent design as a defense in God's existence is unacceptable because it is retrospective. God existed with greater conviction before it ever found its way in the minds of desperate holy men fearful of the irreverent decimation of their beliefs.
Imagine how a scientist would feel if tomorrow, there was proof that matter was not made of quarks, electrons, etc?
Look around and we are governed by one universal law-the law of cause and effect. It is a self-evident and all pervasive rule which decides every event in this universe.
Is it therefore, unreasonable to extrapolate an already known law into other realms of human experience? I think it is not BUT that is not justification enough. Nevertheless, accepting it we begin to understand that re-incarnation is a necessary conclusion of this law. It is absolutely necessary for every action to yield some effect! This is the buddhist doctrine of "karma".
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 25, 2008 @ 15:59:43
Thinkers think nd doers do. Just get out and live life and just maybe on the wasy try to do some GOOD.

#6New Post! Oct 25, 2008 @ 16:20:11
Good and bad are relative terms.
Some do "good" because it makes them feel good. The reward for the self is much greater. It is actually a selfish act.
Scientifically, social existence over millenia have primed our psyche to be co-operative. There is an evolutionary advantage in being good. The stark reality is evident when a member is weak or sick. All social animals despise such elements in their ranks because of the burden. Humanity too has shown, throughout history, its true nature-after all aren't all "philosophies" borne from the atrocities and injustices of history?!
It has been, through philosophy that humanity has had the courage and the ability to suppress and deny these animalistic instincts. Philosophy is a productive enterprise and has aided the maturation of man's social existence. It is now possible to see the sick and the weak protected by healers and the state NOT banished into exile on lonely islands or subject to exploitation and extermination.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#7New Post! Oct 25, 2008 @ 16:52:10
@greatestiam Said

Let us debate the question, are philosophy and or religion and souls improving?

Regards
DL

I do not know what improvements can be made to the soul, if it exists.
As to philosophy, I am not sure that there is much original philosphical thought. Any time that I have felt that I have had an original thought, a little research shows that someone else has had the same and has already shared it with the world.
As a species I think that humans can and have improved, that being evident in our expanding social conscience.
greatestiam On November 26, 2008

Ottawa,
#8New Post! Oct 30, 2008 @ 14:24:49
@AgentSmith Said

Good and bad are relative terms.
Some do "good" because it makes them feel good. The reward for the self is much greater. It is actually a selfish act.
Scientifically, social existence over millenia have primed our psyche to be co-operative. There is an evolutionary advantage in being good. The stark reality is evident when a member is weak or sick. All social animals despise such elements in their ranks because of the burden. Humanity too has shown, throughout history, its true nature-after all aren't all "philosophies" borne from the atrocities and injustices of history?!
It has been, through philosophy that humanity has had the courage and the ability to suppress and deny these animalistic instincts. Philosophy is a productive enterprise and has aided the maturation of man's social existence. It is now possible to see the sick and the weak protected by healers and the state NOT banished into exile on lonely islands or subject to exploitation and extermination.

"Some do "good" because it makes them feel good. The reward for the self is much greater"

Not if the good act is to feed a starving - soon to die - child.
Pleasure in giving is taken, yes but the child will take pleasure from life much longer than the pleasure for the donor.

Regards
DL

#10New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 04:47:47
@greatestiam Said

"Some do "good" because it makes them feel good. The reward for the self is much greater"

Not if the good act is to feed a starving - soon to die - child.
Pleasure in giving is taken, yes but the child will take pleasure from life much longer than the pleasure for the donor.

Regards
DL

Point taken but feeding starving babies is routine in a social way of life. Take for example, to bring in sharp contrast, ants and termites. One of their major activities is foraging and then feeding the growing larvae in their nest. They readily and "selflessly sacrifice" themselves on a regular basis.
It is an evolutionary mechanism that gives social animals an edge of over solitary ones. To nourish and nurture a baby is just a grander way of looking at a species trying to preserve itself from extinction.
Another problem is...to continue to argue moral issues brings us, invariably, to a point where we have to "measure" it so that we convince ourself that one alternative is more "good" than the other.
The mathematics of morality is always vague.

#11New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 04:53:12
General Montgomery, Patton, etc. are all mass murderers who planned the cold-blooded murder of millions of Germans and most consider them Heroes of the Free World!
Hitler oversaw the massacre of a million Jews but what he did pales in comparison to the nuclear devastation in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.
The mathematics of morality is vague.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs