Society & Lifestyles

from good people to bad group

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:14:12
What happens to people when you talk to them as individuals and they seem like they are OK. Or you know people at work that are family people and work hard to help provide from their family and when you do talk to them they seem like an OK Joe.

Then you get that person in a group, sometimes that person changes and he goes from Good Joe to a*****e in a New York minute.

I think the samething happens when you go from larger to larger organization. People stop thinking for themselves and they go along with I don't know, but they cease to be an individual and I wonder if that is why you can have a good people headed by a Bad governement.

just something that was on my mind.
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#2New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:17:05
it's called group psychology

Deleted

#3New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:18:22
It's something that I have observed from time to time but I really don't understand it.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#4New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:19:11
Totally, there was a whole thing about this on tv once, with Thrill Kill kids. Teenagers, who seperatly wouldn't hurt a fly, but got together, and killed people. You have something there, it's an phenominon that experts are looking into.
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#5New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:20:21
ever been to a rock n roll concert?

gun's n roses is a good example

Deleted

#6New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:22:06
Bruce SpringSteen 1984
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#7New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 02:23:20
same thing different flavor

saw bruce in 1975

hardly anyone was there
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#8New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 03:18:28
Perhaps when people get into larger groups, it's not simply that they decide to do bad things as a group. Meaning, maybe people do not only "go with the flow" when with a mob of people.

Could people genuinely want to be bad and only have the confidence when in a large group of people? With a large number of people, blame can be spread pretty thinly, so if the group gets caught, the consequences will seem not quite as harsh as when alone. Also, group psychology can be used to describe the behavior.

I am sure that sometimes people do participate in things only because of the group, but could there not also be people who do bad things only with a group because that is the only way they can do those things? The group could give confidence to a person, enough so for a person to finally overcome any fears and do whatever the person is feeling inside.
digidave On May 24, 2007

Townsville, Australia
#9New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 04:01:59
@shaggyjebus Said
Perhaps when people get into larger groups, it's not simply that they decide to do bad things as a group. Meaning, maybe people do not only "go with the flow" when with a mob of people.

Could people genuinely want to be bad and only have the confidence when in a large group of people? With a large number of people, blame can be spread pretty thinly, so if the group gets caught, the consequences will seem not quite as harsh as when alone. Also, group psychology can be used to describe the behavior.

I am sure that sometimes people do participate in things only because of the group, but could there not also be people who do bad things only with a group because that is the only way they can do those things? The group could give confidence to a person, enough so for a person to finally overcome any fears and do whatever the person is feeling inside.

this group mentality is also often used to justify/explain some pretty vile behaviours - used to hear this story about a violent assault in the street in New York where dozens of people stood around and did nothing to help - "well if he's not helping, why shoould I?" - it;s that shared resposibility/culpability thing that in actual fact absolves us of responsibility - if we're in a large group we don't have to take individual responsibility for our actions or accept full responsibility for the act - scary really, the idea that folks would seek this type of situation in order to slake their bloodlust (or whatever)

inclusion is a powerful thing - there are many people who would do some extraordinary things to get it
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#10New Post! Sep 19, 2006 @ 04:13:30
once you are aware of the flow of group psychology (down the drain)

it gives you some power over it

recognition is the most difficult first step

once you see, you can choose to act rationally (help out)

rather than get caught up in a bad situation
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs