The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Religion

"God has Stated that Fasting is for Him and He Himself is its reward." RAMADHAN.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
salamsourceofpeace On December 08, 2016

, British Indian Ocean Territo
#1New Post! Jul 17, 2013 @ 18:56:55
Peace be on you…..There are some hardships common to all humanity. In spiritual dimension, Fasting is a kind of worship, which is associated with hardship to seek pleasure of God and enhance spirituality. Fastings were of various forms in different religions, depending on the need of hour. For example, if there were people who were inclined to eat meat more than eating vegetables, meat was prohibited in their Fasting to bring balance in their character. Various food affect humans.

Fasting is present in Hindus. Though owing to many sects, a standard code of practice is difficult to find. Various days have been appointed for Fasting. Cooked food is not eaten. Water and fruits are allowed.

In Jews, Prophet Moses Fasted for forty days. Elijah ate one meal in forty days. Esther announced her special Fast for three days and nights. Daniel’s partial Fast was for three weeks…..Now some Fast for 24 hours on the Day of Attonement.

Jesus stayed in wilderness for 40 days without food. He mentioned almsgiving, prayer and Fasting in his sermon of Mount. Now some Christians do not eat meat in their Fasting but they can eat vegetables. Some Fast for three days.

Budha started his search for truth with a severe form of Fasting.

Zoroaster asked his followers for Fasting.

According to Holy Quran, all previous Truths have been incorporated in its teachings. The Fasting is one of these. The fundamental is mentioned as:
‘O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you apply Taqwa.’[chapter 2 : verse 184]
Taqwa is a word, which encompasses acheviement of all goodness and avoidance of all evil. Generally it is translated as ‘righteousness’. The very purpose of Holy Quran has been mentioned as:

‘This is the perfect Book; there is no doubt in it; (it is) guidance for those who exercise Taqwa.’ [chapter2:verse 3]

Thus, the purpose of Fasting is same as of Holy Quran i.e. Taqwa. Divine wisdom started to deliver revelation of Holy Quran in the month of Ramadhan.

The Fasting in Holy Quran is clearly explained [ch2: v184—188]. It is from frist thread of dawn [subah sadiq] to sunset. Sick and travelers should not Fast, they can complete latter. Those who are unable to Fast can pay expiation as feeding the poor. During Fasting day, conjugal relations are not allowed. Focus on remembrance of God with practicing righteousness is the central theme of Ramadhan:

‘And when My servant ask thee about Me, (say): I am near. I answer the prayer of the supplicant when he prays to Me. So they should hearken to Me and believe in Me, that they may follow the right way.’ [Holy Quran, chapter2 : verse 187]

In these foretold-latter days, when orthodox Muslims have declined in various aspects thanks to mainly due to their corrupt clergies, one weakness which have found it way in them is that there are many who are very particular in Fasting but they do not pray five obligatory daily prayers throughout the year, which is the primary requirement.

The Khalifah of Promised Reformer of faith for latter days warns in his detailed sermon about blessings of fastings, warns:

Quote:
…. Earlier people forgot the essence of the commandment of fasting and mere pretention remained. Herein is a lesson for Muslims. Those, who instead of understanding the spirit of fasting, aiming for Tabattal, engaging in Hamd and remembrance of God during fasting and observing one’s Salat are simply proud of their fast, will have their fasts reduced to the fasts of people of earlier religions.

He further said:
Quote:
If one wants to be rewarded for piety and fasting, it cannot be possible without Taqwa and only God decides who has Taqwa and who does not. If a believer abides by this mind-set and fasts to attain God’s pleasure, purification of spirit will take place and such a person will be included among those about whom the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) said that whoever fasts during Ramadan in a state of faith while self-examining will have his previous sins forgiven. God has stated that fasting is for Him and He Himself is its reward.

Quotations from and General reference: Ramadhan -- Virtues of Fasting
========================================================================
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 17, 2013 @ 21:00:10
@salamsourceofpeace Said

Peace be on you...............

And to you.

@salamsourceofpeace Said

Budha started his search for truth with a severe form of Fasting.

The Buddhist scriptures state that the Buddha started his search for truth - and tried many things - long before he tried any form of fasting. And he renounced any severe form as being "unprofitable".

@salamsourceofpeace Said

According to Holy Quran, all previous Truths have been incorporated in its teachings.

‘This is the perfect Book

I have heard this before somewhere, only a different book was cited, which spoke of different truths.

dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 07:49:14
Just wanted to make it 100 views.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs