The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

Gay Men In Canada Banned From Donating Blood...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#2New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 22:17:08
It's a rather risky attempt at creating a 'peace-of-mind guarantee' that the blood you receive will not put your own future health at risk.

What is problematic is that in order for such a ban to be effective, gay men in Canada would have to identify themselves as such. How is it legislated that if questioned, the gay individual must respond truthfully? A lot of medical centers will pay donors for blood. A lot of blood-donors expect to be paid for their contribution. (And if you receive a blood transfusion, you'll be paying a much greater price....) What is to prevent a needy but gay individual from telling an itsy-bitsy lie in order to obtain a cash reward for his donation of blood? Or, does Canada utilize the super-secret Gay-Detecto-Meter on all blood donor candidates, to weed out the potential risk to the health of other gay or non-gay patients?

Bottom line: Don't accept a blood transfusion if the blood has been harvested in Australia, unless you know how long a virus can survive in the human blood stream...
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#3New Post! Jul 21, 2011 @ 22:42:01
Gay men can't donate blood in the US either. It's been that way since the 80's. It's a little odd that they've kept the ban, since right now the group at highest risk is minority women in their 20's and 30's here, but it is what it is.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#4New Post! Jul 22, 2011 @ 00:01:00
@boxerdc Said

Gay men can't donate blood in the US either. It's been that way since the 80's. It's a little odd that they've kept the ban, since right now the group at highest risk is minority women in their 20's and 30's here, but it is what it is.

I forgot to mention that in my OP so I am glad you pointed it out. The experts on the news were saying as of today, the highest risk of HIV/AIDS are women in their 20-30 age range. They did not specify race that I heard. So if gay men are not the highest risk and if they meet criteria and since screening is much better now a days, I am not understanding the issue but I am not a doctor. I am sure other experts might disagree but the two on tv, sure seemed to think it was not a problem.
into_the_fire On September 11, 2012

#5New Post! Jul 22, 2011 @ 00:40:15
@boxerdc Said

Are you sure? My cousin is gay and he donates blood all the time.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs