Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#61New Post! Feb 14, 2010 @ 06:36:54
@Bhav Said

To be honest, there are far more offensive words out there than the N word. One such word is b****, but plenty of people use that word all the time and no one complains.

I agree that words are just words. If you find them genuinely offensive especially when used in a non offensive context, then you are being hypersensitive.

And there surely are some black people who call each other and identify themselves by the N word, at least no one complains when a black musician uses the word in a song, but if anyone else uses it regardless of its context, it is the most offensive thing in the world to some people.

It is always offensive to me regardless of who is using it.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#62New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 01:48:46
@jonnythan Said

Well if 99% of blacks find the word offensive, that leaves about 400,000 blacks who do not find the word offensive.

If you find the word offensive, ignore it and get over it. Some people obviously do self-identify with it.

Well, I do "ignore" it whenever I come across it........and why do you say I should "get over it".......get over what?

Chicago, Illinois
#63New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 07:47:50
@TheMuse Said

So you have spoken to 100% of blacks? ( how else would you come up with the 99% total)

Well you haven't spoken too me or most of those that I know.

99% of the blacks I know Know that it's just a word and words can't hurt you. They are more interested in an accurate count of the census to help fund thing like schools, roads etc.

So stop pretending you speak for all of us because YOU DON'T

Well, that maybe true......as far as I know.....there is chance that I don't know the people you know.....I wasn't speaking about those folks that I DON'T KNOW!!! I know of course, a LOT of black people.....there are plenty of them in my own family....as you can see from my pics and countless posts I have written.....if I know 500 black folks.....then I say those black folks I know find the word offensive....then that's a 100% of black folks.....and 99% of those blacks that I KNOW.....find it offensive....and that's where I came up with 100%.......you are totally misunderstanding what I said!! And for the record...I would never try and speak for anyone that way!!! I'am NOT pretending anything so you stop accusing me of doing that!!! How if you don't KNOW me can you make a statement like that?
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#64New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 08:20:55
I was always disturbed by this question when doing the first of the year surveys at school. If I had a student whose fifth cousin was black, he was noted as black. It made no sense to me. Today I was watching "Guess Who's coming to Dinner." The word negro was used in most of the conversations and thought of as normal. Times have changed but not enough. I just assume that it would offend an African American. I once asked a close friend what term she preferred. She said," I prefer African American but I'll put up with black. Negro is outdated, don't you think?" I say ask, don't presume anything.

Chicago, Illinois
#65New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 08:53:49
@ReadsALOT Said

I was always disturbed by this question when doing the first of the year surveys at school. If I had a student whose fifth cousin was black, he was noted as black. It made no sense to me. Today I was watching "Guess Who's coming to Dinner." The word negro was used in most of the conversations and thought of as normal. Times have changed but not enough. I just assume that it would offend an African American. I once asked a close friend what term she preferred. She said," I prefer African American but I'll put up with black. Negro is outdated, don't you think?" I say ask, don't presume anything.

I prefer to be called by my name.....and I was born here in America....so that makes me an AMERICAN! I think everyone born here should be called American.....I would NEVER call myself AA or Negro...I had a white mother and a black father...both born here as well...
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#66New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 08:57:22
@Spinkiegirl Said

I prefer to be called by my name.....and I was born here in America....so that makes me an AMERICAN! I think everyone born here should be called American.....I would NEVER call myself AA or Negro...I had a white mother and a black father...both born here as well...

That's what I'd call you, but when a teacher has to do those stupid surveys, tact is pretty important. Half of my students were from mixed marriages, I never presumed anything. Maybe the govt. will catchup now.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs