The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Weight loss surgery...is it neccessary??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
MlissaBeth On February 13, 2013
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#16New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:30:53
@MyMayBabies Said

right. thats opinion aswell i mean people die from these operations!!!

Yes, I know.
It's easy to get infections from them as well.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:34:23
@MlissaBeth Said

Yes, I know.
It's easy to get infections from them as well.

And you have part of your body removed

God the thought of it makes me feel funny.
MyMayBabies On October 23, 2009

Deleted

cheshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:36:46
This is an article from Times Online and its shocking.

The number of patients admitted to hospital for being grossly overweight has soared sevenfold in a decade as experts warn the obesity epidemic is spiralling out of control.
Some 5,018 people ended up in hospital in 2007-08 because they were so fat their health was in danger.
In 1996-97, just before Labour came to power, only 738 ended up in hospital with obesity as the main diagnosis.
The figure has risen 30 per cent in the last year alone.
Experts described the figures as 'horrific' and said they show all the Government's attempts to defuse the obesity timebomb are failing.

They suggested the NHS is on course for bankruptcy because of associated conditions such as heart disease, type two diabetes and cancer.
Obesity patients taken to hospital include those whose hearts have stopped, or who have bed sores or leg ulcers as they are unable to move properly.
Increasing numbers are also having surgery or being given drugs to help with weight loss.
Last year 2,724 patients - a figure not included in the 5,018 obesity patients - had such surgery.
This includes stomach stapling, gastric bypasses and other treatments to reduce the amount of food a person can eat.
This figure was 40 per cent higher than the year before.
The number of anti-obesity pills used also rose 16 per cent to 1.23 million, despite a range of possible side effects including increased blood pressure.
The annual cost to the NHS of obesity is estimated at &pound; 49million, mainly due to the costs of weight-loss drugs; up from &pound;9.5million in 1998.
The costs of associated problems such as heart disease are
estimated at &pound;1.2billion - double the 1998 figure.
Liberal Democrat health spokesman Norman Lamb said: 'This is yet more frightening evidence of the dramatic impact of the obesity crisis, both in terms of the impact on individuals and the cost to the NHS. The NHS ultimately faces bankruptcy if this problem isn't addressed.'
Tam Fry, of the National Obesity Forum, said the jump in surgery for obesity was 'horrific'.
'Rather than being a last resort, surgery is becoming the first option,' he said.
Public health minister Dawn Primarolo said: 'Obesity is the biggest health challenge we face - we are taking tough action and are investing &pound;372million to address it.'

40isnotsobad On December 07, 2010

Houston, Texas
#19New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:47:31
I know several people that have had the Gastric Bypass surgery...

One of them had a thyroid problem and at some point they had radiated her thyroid so it was not working at all and she has to take thyroid medicine. She had numerous health problems because of the weight and exercise and diet did not help her. After surgery she did all that she was supposd to as far as walking and eating small meals, etc. Her health problems all but disappeared and she has maintained her weight for 5 years now.

For her, I believe, it was her last and only option.

I know another woman who did not meet the requirement (she was not overweight enough to be considered). She decided to just gain more weight in order to qualify for the surgery.

She was just looking for the lazy/easy way out.

I think there are many, many factors and each persons situation is different.
Dawn_Key On January 07, 2010

Deleted
Banned

#20New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:51:44
@MyMayBabies Said

i have just watched a documentry on people who have lost a lot of weight, most of them through weight loss surgery.
Is that just a quick fix? Our society has a nasty habit of wanting everything RIGHT NOW...is this surgery a symptom of that??
Or do you think it is pioneering surgery which is improving lifes and tackling the obesty problem successfully?
Why cant people just chose to improve their life style and do some exercise?? or is it a case of when you get really really big or have an obession with food then surgery becomes the only option??

Yep ...buy a bike
MyMayBabies On October 23, 2009

Deleted

cheshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 20:53:51
@40isnotsobad Said

I know another woman who did not meet the requirement (she was not overweight enough to be considered). She decided to just gain more weight in order to qualify for the surgery.

She was just looking for the lazy/easy way out.

that is vile.....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs