Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

What's with this "pay your dues" crap?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#1New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 04:00:14
i work in the medical field, specializing in ultrasound. When i was interning, we were told before making our clinical rotations that "remember, you are a student"...

When i started interning, i was taken aback at how some of us were being treated by those who were either senior, or had graduated. They were rude, we weren't asked to do an exam, we were ordered to do so. This, i didn't mind, but sometimes, some of the workers would just have "home problems", and take them out of us - by yelling at us, or demeaning many of us, in front of patients..

When i talked to my clinical instructor about this behavior, she said "You have to pay your dues"..

okay, 1 year later, post grad, board certified, etc..i have a new job, but i'm the "New Kid on the Block"..so to speak..and here we go again!! I'm now the Outsider, not included in the group functions, only spoken to "if necessary", and because i don't want children - there's another strike against me, (it's mostly women, and they relate mainly through their children), ridiculed by the group if a mistake is made..they love to criticize/complain about anyone's work, as if they're the best, and anything that i might say, is taken back to the group and analyzed..i call it "tribal counsel"..

i mentioned this silliness to my new boss, and because he's part of the clique, he basically said: "you have to earn your way into the group. since you're new, they have to get used to you, blah blah.."

I've always had a probablem with "Clan Mentality"..the more you kiss up to these types, the more power you give them..i've always been independent, a free thinker, etc..and never had much tolerance for this...Thus, i'm good enough to stand on my own two feet..and as far as "group acceptance" or "clique acceptance" goes, they can go bob on my knob..
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#2New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 07:17:31
Just do the best job you can, and remember that you learn something new every day. You will eventually be the best at what you do and nobody can say s*** about your abilities. You don't have to give in to the "group think" mentality to be good at what you do.
cherigrover On July 14, 2009

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 07:23:42
that's terrible - keep your chin up. there are laws to protect you if it goes badly. just do a good job don't take them personally!!
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#4New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 11:30:18
I face/d the same problem day in day out.. a group of people brain washed into thinking what they do or dont do is actually what you all should be doing.. but what they dont realise is that there being very short sighted and stupid in there aproach..
It seems individuality is a myth.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 11:50:28
Welcome to the real working world. I'm such an outsider too as I am not married nor have kids so I'm the oddball out. Oh well. I'm at work to get a paycheck, not make friends so I am not bothered by it all.
weaksauce On May 28, 2011

DFW, Texas
#6New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 12:00:16
@ultranewbie Said
i work in the medical field, specializing in ultrasound. When i was interning, we were told before making our clinical rotations that "remember, you are a student"...

When i started interning, i was taken aback at how some of us were being treated by those who were either senior, or had graduated. They were rude, we weren't asked to do an exam, we were ordered to do so. This, i didn't mind, but sometimes, some of the workers would just have "home problems", and take them out of us - by yelling at us, or demeaning many of us, in front of patients..

When i talked to my clinical instructor about this behavior, she said "You have to pay your dues"..

okay, 1 year later, post grad, board certified, etc..i have a new job, but i'm the "New Kid on the Block"..so to speak..and here we go again!! I'm now the Outsider, not included in the group functions, only spoken to "if necessary", and because i don't want children - there's another strike against me, (it's mostly women, and they relate mainly through their children), ridiculed by the group if a mistake is made..they love to criticize/complain about anyone's work, as if they're the best, and anything that i might say, is taken back to the group and analyzed..i call it "tribal counsel"..

i mentioned this silliness to my new boss, and because he's part of the clique, he basically said: "you have to earn your way into the group. since you're new, they have to get used to you, blah blah.."

I've always had a probablem with "Clan Mentality"..the more you kiss up to these types, the more power you give them..i've always been independent, a free thinker, etc..and never had much tolerance for this...Thus, i'm good enough to stand on my own two feet..and as far as "group acceptance" or "clique acceptance" goes, they can go bob on my knob..

i think that is how the medical field goes. im in x-ray school and we kinda go through the same thing. As a student we were expected to do everything. if the technologist didnt want to do the exam he would give it to a student. our opinions or ideas didnt matter although it was the better than a seasoned techs. My advise is kill them with kindness. they cant ostracize u for that.
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#7New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 12:05:00
I think its more to do with where you're at. I've never had any problems with any of the clinical centres I've been placed at. I mean yeah I do think some of the senior staff do palm some work off to the students but I think its down to us just getting the experience
Scoobiedoolala On October 30, 2008

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#8New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 12:06:45
i dont blend well with cliques and clans.....it doesnt bother me one iota what others think. i befriend those who are the underdogs, those who dont pucker up to the boss, and those who dont play follow the most popular. i do so dread my nursing internship. you pretty much work for free, and do what the others wont or dont want to do.
but surprise surprise, i will know far more than they ASSume. i have been in the field for years, so i do have an advantage.
debs On October 04, 2008

Alston, a local town for local
#9New Post! Sep 22, 2008 @ 15:35:13
ultranewbie, Don't let the f***ers grind you down
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#10New Post! Sep 23, 2008 @ 04:49:16
thanks guys! i came back from work, and found your posts very uplifting! I've done many modalities in imaging (including x-ray, CT, angio, cardiovascular, etc), but this one seems to be the most challenging..and yep, taking the crap just makes me a better tech..it works later to my advantage..i totally agree! (that which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger)

I like what i do in theory due to the physics, and pathology concepts. As for the politics..I just don't do Clans..never have and never will...it's just every once in a while, that crap just gets on my tits..

I'm over it..now, back to work..oh, by the way, i came to this clinic as "registry" or "per diem", w/in two weeks, administration and the radiologists are asking that i'd come aboard full-time with benefits...

It's less money than registry..but medical and dental benefits are a plus.. hey debs! Thank you!!
cherigrover On July 14, 2009

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 23, 2008 @ 12:52:20
thats really good that they wanted you fulltime. Hope you enjoy the actual work My sister in law is also qualified in ultrasound/xray etc.etc. she loves it. Don't think she's suffered as badly but she is in Australia and it might be different there!

Keep Smiling
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs