Forums: Gaming:
Video Games

Other FPS games that stomp the Halo series into the ground and piss on it

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
torquecalypso On April 26, 2008

Portland, Oregon
#1New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 01:56:04
The popularity of the Halo series is undeniably huge. Some would go as far as to say it is the greatest FPS game, if not just the greatest game, ever made. It is not. Far from it, in fact. I am no fan of the series, for several reasons:

1. It is overhyped. I have played it, and it is not nearly as amazing as the fanboys say it is. It's just another shooter game, get over it.
2. Very repetitive. You always travel through some wore torn galaxy (supposedly ours) and fight in either a jungle, spaceship, frozen tundra, desert, or cave. There are a few others, but I don't remember what they are. And the weapons are always some kind of futuristic bulls***, or are mordern weapons that look different but handle exactly the same.
3. The controls. I don't mind the controls that much, just having to click a joystick to zoom or aim is irritating, not to mention the dumbass vehicle control scheme.
4. People on XboxLive. Anyone who tells me to quit screen-watching when I'm sitting alone in my bedroom at 3a.m. deserves to die. So do the people who put their mic next to speakers and blast Avril Lavene at max volume.
5. It's not on the Wii.

I'm not asking that you stop liking the Halo series just because it pisses me off. I'm just stating some facts.

Now if you want a real FPS experience, play one of the following games (or series):

1. Timesplitters 2 - One of my favorite games ever. It has a variety of characters (over 150), levels that span a multitude of time frames and locales, and a good selection of varied weapons, which come from the future, present and past.
2. Metroid Prime (series) - Metroid has always been an awesome game series, and the Prime chronicles compliment it something good. It gives a new perspective to old enemies, plus it basically just kicks ass.
3. Medal of Honor (series) - The first WWII series I ever played, and I'm glad. It still makes me happy every time I snipe a Nazi with my M1 Garand. Which leads me to...
4. Call of Duty (series) -Another great WWII series (plus number 4), the graphics are superb, the gameplay is awesome, and the attention to historical accuracy is applaudable.
5. 007: Goldeneye (N64) - Obviously one of the best 007 games ever made, the weapon selection is badass, the gameplay rocks and the story is not half-bad.

So you see, there are many FPS games better than the Halo series.

That's my opinion, anyway.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#2New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 01:59:42
agreed, thgough halo's multiplayer is a hell of alot of fun.

but the main game's certainly no halflife or anything.
oh and god i love time splitters!
awesome game.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#3New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 01:59:51
besides fro call of duty none of those games are better then halo, also you got to mention the battlefield games.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 02:20:03
@adrinachrome Said
besides fro call of duty none of those games are better then halo, also you got to mention the battlefield games.

I'm completely with you there.
penguin On August 13, 2008

Toronto, Canada
#5New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 02:32:41
Wait... You included Golden Eye but forgot Perfect Dark?

But seriously, it?s a matter of opinion. For me, Halo is a game where you sit down after a long and hard day and shoot people mindlessly. There are better games out there, but there are also shooters out there that absolutely DOMINATE the ones that you listed as a real FPS experience.
blood_bucket On January 14, 2009

Portland, Oregon
#6New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 02:33:34
Although I disagree with timesplitters and Medal of honor... All I have to say is BIOSHOCK, BIOSHOCK, BIOSHOCK...

I do like call of duty, just not the 4th one.
blood_bucket On January 14, 2009

Portland, Oregon
#7New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 02:34:22
Yeah, I'm gunna have to say that you could've definitely constructed a better list.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#8New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 02:34:23
its amazing how many people suck at Halo3 online. If you're ever looking to get spanked online in Halo3 look for Adrinachrome.

I forgot warrock is a sweet game,
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#9New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 03:37:30
How about Marathon. Bungie's first game. Breakthrough multiplayer and
3D.
GAMEfreak On April 28, 2017

betch,
#10New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 14:57:00
I still think halo 3 is the best game. But i also like COD4

Portland, Oregon
#11New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 18:36:41
I'd like to point out that the only games I included on my lists were ones that I have actually played. I know Perfect Dark and Bioshock rock, but I haven't played them, so I didn't include them.
stile On January 28, 2009

#12New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 18:47:58
@adrinachrome Said
its amazing how many people suck at Halo3 online. If you're ever looking to get spanked online in Halo3 look for Adrinachrome.

I forgot warrock is a sweet game,

I've played you before and while you do usually have the highest kill count I'm pretty sure thats because you're good at fighting people in groups, cause one-on-one I've killed you every time.

Portland, Oregon
#13New Post! Apr 16, 2008 @ 18:48:38
Oh snap! Sick burn!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs