Science

The so-called "missing links"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:12:16
Creationism has been a major discussion point lately, with many creationists demanding the theology be taught in science classes. Well it looks like scientists are finally starting to hit back, palaeontologists especially.

Just reading an article in New Scientists on "missing links", explaining where the term came from and how some were found before Darwin died. The article covers 10 transitions and the evidence for them. The one that really caught my eye was the "Fishibians". This bit followed the transitions of some fish to amphibious creatures with some of these fossils developing ears that can hear on land and limbs which can be used for both walking and fast swimming.

New Scientist, Vol 197, No 2645, p36-41
charger On October 01, 2009

bricktown,
#2New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:13:37
@crazychica Said
Creationism has been a major discussion point lately, with many
creationists demanding the theology be taught in science classes. Well it looks like scientists
are finally starting to hit back, palaeontologists especially.

Just reading an article in New Scientists on "missing links", explaining where the term came
from and how some were found before Darwin died. The article covers 10 transitions and the
evidence for them. The one that really caught my eye was the "Fishibians". This bit followed
the transitions of some fish to amphibious creatures with some of these fossils developing
ears that can hear on land and limbs which can be used for both walking and fast swimming.

New Scientist, Vol 197, No 2645, p36-41

missing link will always remain missing because it simply doesnt exist!
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:18:04
@charger Said
missing link will always remain missing because it simply doesnt exist!

Actually, a lot of these "missing links" have already been found. it's a term Darwin started because the fossil record wasn't large enough to support his theory. Many were found before his death. However, because his original writings are those most often used in rebuttal, the myth of these "missing links" remains alive and well.

Quote:
You could not ask for a better 'missing link' between the nemotoads and the arthropds, except it's not missing - we've known about velvet worms for over a century, both in the living fauna and in the fossil record.
vicki_t On October 15, 2011

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:20:26
I believe in evolution. I also believe in the sdpirit World. I believe that the process of evolution has been influenced by life, not by one almighty God, but by the unity of all life, of which we are a part.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:22:22
@vicki_t Said
I believe in evolution. I also believe in the sdpirit World. I believe that the process of evolution has been influenced by life, not by one almighty God, but by the unity of all life, of which we are a part.

Hey that's pretty close. The best way to picture evolution is like a tree or a bush, not a ladder. That way we all come from the same place but go in different directions.
charger On October 01, 2009

bricktown,
#6New Post! Mar 01, 2008 @ 23:45:26
it doesnt matter what we believe, whatever the truth is, well then thats what it is!
lute On April 27, 2008

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 10, 2008 @ 14:51:18
@charger Said
it doesnt matter what we believe, whatever the truth is, well then thats what it is!

Is it OK if I disagree here?
It doesn't matter to a tree if you & I disagree over its name. But our beliefs inform our actions. Wrong beliefs must be more likely to lead to wrong actions. That's what I believe, whatever the truth is.
Er,.....
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#8New Post! Apr 10, 2008 @ 14:58:40
thank you!
evolution is such a solid science that don't i know why its debated by creationists.
i assume mostly because its the easiest to pretend you understand while misinterpreting completly.

you'd be much better off trying to punch holes in the big bang theory or dark matter or how planets form or any number of scientific theories that are up for debate.

there's a huge fossil record showing transistion periods of a vast number of animals, also genetic records confirm the theory of evolution.
of course like any science nobody claims to know it all and there's plenty of room for new deiscoveries.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs