A Town class or Southhampton class cruiser,she was commisioned into the Royal Navy in 1938. The reason for the nickname Old Shiny is that instead of the brass that was used for fittings on most warships, Sheffield used stainless steel. Stainless steel was invented and first produced in Sheffield in 1913, stainless steel fittings for HMS Shefield,were produced in Sheffield, they even included the ships bell! The Sheffield was the first ship to have radar installed!
Old Shiny served with distinction throughout the entire Second World War and was decomissioned after service in the Korean War! She was decommisioned in the year 1967!