Math

why is variablity important in statistics

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
VeRsTeHeN On April 29, 2015

St Agustine, Trinidad and Toba
#1New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 01:16:32
can someone tell me why variability is important to statistics...
essenceofjme On March 05, 2024
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#2New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 02:47:08
Variability, as you may know, is a descriptive statistic. It measures the degree to which scores are spread out or put together in a distribution. These scores can be taken from surveys, tests, or almost any collection of data that provides information about any number of situations. For example, if a researcher were to collect data through a public census of say 10,000 people (adults 18+/homeowners/heads of households etc.) he/she could follow through by sorting data and running variability links between them. This may be done to determine circumstances regarding individuals through a spectrum: by age, location, race, etc. It helps researchers understand different lives in the context of their conditions, and can provide insight that could very well help improve people's lives, preferably in order of mitigation. Variability also provides an assessment of how accurately an individual score or sample represents a complete population.

Hope I helped!
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#3New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 03:38:43
@Verstehen Said

The ability to measure 'variability' is important to all sorts of manufacturing processes, and it is the essence of quality control programs across the entire spectrum of industrial manufacturing, from drugs to machine parts....

The problem that many students have with the subject of 'statistics' is that it is never explained, initially, just how to use it, or why. The professors always want you to learn how to "analyse the data," without really letting you know what you are supposed to be using it for... That creates doubt and confusion.
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#4New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 03:48:38
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

The ability to measure 'variability' is important to all sorts of manufacturing processes, and it is the essence of quality control programs across the entire spectrum of industrial manufacturing, from drugs to machine parts....

The problem that many students have with the subject of 'statistics' is that it is never explained, initially, just how to use it, or why. The professors always want you to learn how to "analyse the data," without really letting you know what you are supposed to be using it for... That creates doubt and confusion.

I agree, my first class in statistics was from a research level (experimental psychology) and for that I am thankful!
Part-time Nidologist

#5New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 04:02:29
@essenceofjme Said

I agree, my first class in statistics was from a research level (experimental psychology) and for that I am thankful!

You are just full of surprises!
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#6New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 11:28:50
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

You are just full of surprises!

You should see me type up a manuscript, APA has nothing on me.
Part-time Nidologist

#7New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 14:50:28
@essenceofjme Said

You should see me type up a manuscript, APA has nothing on me.

Where must I be in order to see that?

And, would that be the American Poolplayers, Psychological, or Planning Association, today?
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#8New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 15:15:12
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Where must I be in order to see that?

And, would that be the American Poolplayers, Psychological, or Planning Association, today?

Preferably sometime in the near future, I will conduct an experiment regarding TFS and its user's mental health states, we all have a little crazy in us. You can be a data technician, we always need more data technicians.

Poolplayers, definitely poolplayers.
Part-time Nidologist

#9New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 15:22:48
@essenceofjme Said

Preferably sometime in the near future, I will conduct an experiment regarding TFS and its user's mental health states, we all have a little crazy in us. You can be a data technician, we always need more data technicians.

Poolplayers, definitely poolplayers.

In your study, how will you define the 'norm' of the user's mental health states, or, will your study serve as the means to determine that?

You will have to expect some rather large departures from the norm. Probably so large, that you will have to re-define the term 'variation.'
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 15:28:26
Drives me crazy.

When I did biology and psychology in college it got ridiculous, like "what if there was snow on the ground" "what if the person being interviewed had just been chased by a cow" "what if everyone is lying to you"

you could seriously go mad with that stuff.

Although in order for any kind of research to have any kind of validity you have to go through all the possible things that may affect the outcome.

People are very unreliable sources of information. At least if something is in a tube you can stick to sensible variables like how long before you add other stuff or whether the room is cold or hot or if the person doing the experiment is drunk and cannot read the scales.
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#11New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 15:45:12
@treebee Said

Drives me crazy.

When I did biology and psychology in college it got ridiculous, like "what if there was snow on the ground" "what if the person being interviewed had just been chased by a cow" "what if everyone is lying to you"

you could seriously go mad with that stuff.

Although in order for any kind of research to have any kind of validity you have to go through all the possible things that may affect the outcome.

People are very unreliable sources of information. At least if something is in a tube you can stick to sensible variables like how long before you add other stuff or whether the room is cold or hot or if the person doing the experiment is drunk and cannot read the scales.

People are the most unreliable sources of information, I agree! I once posed as a young mother in a daycare center (with the approval of the day care director [I'm not a creep that likes to watch young children]) in order to observe and collect data on a study I was conducting (it was based on the Hawthorne effect). Bottom line, people are different when they know you are an observer. The experiment was subjugated with a whole lotta hoopla about extraneous variables (participant and situational) that drove me up the wall!! I still have nightmares.
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#12New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 15:48:09
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

In your study, how will you define the 'norm' of the user's mental health states, or, will your study serve as the means to determine that?

You will have to expect some rather large departures from the norm. Probably so large, that you will have to re-define the term 'variation.'

Defining the 'norm', eh? Let the research begin! Hand me a scalpel!
Part-time Nidologist

#13New Post! Sep 30, 2013 @ 22:30:11
@essenceofjme Said

Defining the 'norm', eh? Let the research begin! Hand me a scalpel!

You had better find a few melons to practice on, first!

Your research subjects await.....
MJCF On June 30, 2015

Carmona, Philippines
#14New Post! Oct 19, 2013 @ 15:21:07
@Verstehen Said

Measuring variability is important in manufacturing processes or any process that varies as the variability will tell how effective your is your system or process. The smaller the variation in the process the better. If the variability is big meaning the process that you are measuring is not stable and an improvement should be done to lessen it.

Computing variability is important to statistics when you are measuring set of data that varies in nature as it would tell whether your process is still in control or out-of-control depending on the limit which is set in the process. And that statistical data is the proof that the process has control and within the limits or every problem is being addressed when data being measured is out-of-control.
Part-time Nidologist

#15New Post! Oct 19, 2013 @ 15:35:07
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

You had better find a few melons to practice on, first!

Your research subjects await.....

I thought you guys got lost!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs