Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

why dont they make good movies anymore?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
04EXCURSION On September 29, 2009

long beach, California
#1New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 20:50:52
what happened to the time of decent movies?

remember when movies were real?

Star Wars

Indiana Jones

Titanic (you don't have to like it, but it was definitely one of the best made movies of all time, the best in my opinion)

U.S. Marshals. and the list goes on.

what cant they make movies like this anymore?

movies today are so poorly made, with bad plots and story lines, not to say they havent made some decent movies recently ie 300, the Darknight, etc.

movies now days have too much CGI that it looks incredible fake, ie the new Star Wars or the Matrix movies.

it takes no effort to make a movie anymore (not saying that computer graphics isnt hard) but movies looked alot better before CGI, they are so fake looking now that it takes away from the movie, granted Titanic used CGI, but that was one scene.

I'm not saying every movie is CGI'd out and horrible, but you know the ones I'm talking about, like that new angelina jolie one, dodging bullets or whatever, and others like it.

anyone agree with this?
radicolpotato On September 14, 2018

magna,
#2New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 20:53:41
tho only good movies i have seen lately are movies they don't show in theaters, for whatever the reson
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#3New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 20:55:32
They've run the course of imagination!! I agree, there are no decent movies out there and hasn't been for the last few years.

They're all basically along the same story lines and lack any new ideas in my opinion. I can literally tell someone what's going to happen in any given movie now. And that's quite sad.

Oh Wait!! That can be very good. Now I can even write a movie. Doesn't take much of anything to think up a story line anymore....
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 20:55:40
They still do good movies!!!!

Watchmen

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Role Models

Stardust

Wall E (!!!!!)

To name a few

Never been a fan of Indiana Jones or Titanic. Which goes to show, a good movie depends entirely on your perspective!
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 20:55:52
@04EXCURSION Said

what happened to the time of decent movies?

remember when movies were real?

Star Wars

Indiana Jones

Titanic (you don't have to like it, but it was definitely one of the best made movies of all time, the best in my opinion)

U.S. Marshals. and the list goes on.

what cant they make movies like this anymore?

movies today are so poorly made, with bad plots and story lines, not to say they havent made some decent movies recently ie 300, the Darknight, etc.

movies now days have too much CGI that it looks incredible fake, ie the new Star Wars or the Matrix movies.

it takes no effort to make a movie anymore (not saying that computer graphics isnt hard) but movies looked alot better before CGI, they are so fake looking now that it takes away from the movie, granted Titanic used CGI, but that was one scene.

I'm not saying every movie is CGI'd out and horrible, but you know the ones I'm talking about, like that new angelina jolie one, dodging bullets or whatever, and others like it.

anyone agree with this?

There has always been good and bad movies throw the times.. most of todays chaff and wheat tend to come in the same amount as before... its just what suits you...
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:03:02
Exactly! I miss the campy type movies!

Campy horror

Campy Scifi

long beach, California
#7New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:13:31
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

They still do good movies!!!!

Watchmen

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Role Models

Stardust

Wall E (!!!!!)

To name a few

Never been a fan of Indiana Jones or Titanic. Which goes to show, a good movie depends entirely on your perspective!

like i said you dont have to like titanic as a movie to appreciate the work that went into to it, the fact that they built everything and to manually sink the ship, by manually i mean hydraulics, but that they didnt CGI any of it, minus the one scene, that takes alot of planning building and skill.

again titanic is not even my favorite movie, but i think it was definately the most well done movie, not per say the love story part, but how the movie was made
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#8New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:35:49
Are you just thinking of the "much hyped blockbuster" type of movie?

There are loads of decent movies made recently. Star Wars if made today would be laughed off the screen, it's so cheesy and predictable.
Titanic, it was definately groundbreaking for special effects at the time, but was racist, extremely predictable the way it enforced cultural stereotypes, and frankly if I was related to any of the crew of that ship, I'd have sued that a*****e directors backside off.
80's movies in particular just don't seem to have aged that well.

How far do you want to go back to say a movie is being made "at the moment"?

Check out -

Wall-E - possibly the deepest movie from Pixar (And certainly Disney) for a long time.

Juno - Really offbeat indie style movie.

Batman Begins/Dark Knight - blockbusters and massive improvements on the original Batman movies from the 90's.

You mention The Matrix as being bad, so I'm guessing you count modern movies as going back a few years, so -

Gladiator

American Beauty

Finding Nemo (Yes, guess that was a bit predictable)

Kill Bill

Hostel (If you fancy a bit of sickness - but really different)

Pans Labyrinth

Pirates of the Caribbean number 1 (Let's forget the others were ever made)

Try out loads of asian movies -

Infernal Affairs
Old Boy
Il Mare
Shaolin Soccer

Just too many to mention.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:40:06
@sheepy Said

There are loads of decent movies made recently. Star Wars if made today would be laughed off the screen, it's so cheesy and predictable.
Titanic, it was definately groundbreaking for special effects at the time, but was racist, extremely predictable the way it enforced cultural stereotypes, and frankly if I was related to any of the crew of that ship, I'd have sued that a*****e directors backside off.

Check out -

Wall-E - possibly the deepest movie from Pixar (And certainly Disney) for a long time.

Batman Begins/Dark Knight - blockbusters and massive improvements on the original Batman movies from the 90's.

You mention The Matrix as being bad, so I'm guessing you count modern movies as going back a few years, so -

Gladiator

American Beauty

Kill Bill

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs
Old Boy
Il Mare
Shaolin Soccer

I can't believe I didn't mention Pan's Labyrinth! That movie was truly amazing. It didn't even bother me that it was all in subtitles

long beach, California
#10New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:52:52
@sheepy Said

Check out -

Gladiator

American Beauty

Kill Bill

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs
Old Boy
Il Mare
Shaolin Soccer

i was just naming movies that came to mind, had nothing to do with them being blockbusters.

why would you sue them? Titanic was historically accurate, what would you have them due, alter everything and make it seem like one big enjoyable tea party? thats how things were back then. predictable? it's almost a 90 year old story that everyone should have heard about, why wouldnt it be predictable?

as for the Batmans, i think the Darknight was overall really well done, but I personally think Batman Forever was still the best batman movie.

as for juno and animated movies im talking about movies that really well made, like Gladiator, thanks I forgot to mention that, dont get me wrong juno is a good movie, havent seen wall e yet but plan to, as far as animated goes, thats on a different level.

Pirates was also a great movie, well done, but the story line had a bunch of holes in it.
faz182 On May 13, 2009

swindon, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 21:58:29
The answer is simple - people are morons.

They make terrible movies because people still watch them.

If the movie going public were intelligent enough to not swarm to any movie that shows a bit of cleavage or a drug reference in the trailer, then the producers would be forced to have a good think about their quality.

As it stands, people are stupid.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 22:06:19
@04EXCURSION Said

why would you sue them? Titanic was historically accurate, what would you have them due, alter everything and make it seem like one big enjoyable tea party?

The crew and overall cast were portrayed in a racist stereotype, if they were English with suitable accent, then they were either cowardly, murderous or plain dumb/incompetant. Usual trick of making sure the decent characters were Americans, and of course, stereotype the Irish as all lovable. Still that's Hollyweird for you. I once argued with some idiot in Australia on here who thought "Braveheart" was historically accurate
Seriously though, it was quite offensive to the memory of the crew on there, and especially to the captain.

long beach, California
#13New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 22:12:08
@sheepy Said

Seriously though, it was quite offensive to the memory of the crew on there, and especially to the captain.

how?
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

#14New Post! Mar 23, 2009 @ 22:20:25
@04EXCURSION Said

how?

So do you think portraying them all as a bunch of incompetant spiteful good as murderers is not insulting their memory? Or perhaps everyone should form the opinion that is fact, by watching a movie rather than checking out historical facts.

Anyway, not really bothered
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs