Politics

what do we pay taxes for

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
spudboy On January 31, 2010

bexhill, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:43:42
here in britain we pay tax on almost everything.

we even get taxed on our pensions.

at least in the past this can be justified a little by the fact that it pays for schools , the N.H.S , services etc.

what is making my blood boil is that now our taxes are going to bail out banks because they have basically done a poor job at deciding who they lend money to.

i dont see many hard up bank managers heading for the dole queues.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:45:20
So politicians can buy votes.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#3New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:49:40
Actually, from what I was understanding about the bank bailouts was, that it was not who the banks were lending money to on a personal level, or even a professional level, but it was the other banks that they were lending to *in America* The main Federal Reserve Bank decides how much money gets put out in a year, and if it's not enough, then the local type banks borrow from other banks, and they have not been paying those loans back.

Although, in essence you are right, they lent to the wrong people, it's just that all those people were other banks.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#4New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:52:04
@spudboy Said

at least in the past this can be justified a little by the fact that it pays for schools , the N.H.S , services etc.

what is making my blood boil is that now our taxes are going to bail out banks because they have basically done a poor job at deciding who they lend money to.

...The story of time...the fat cats sucking off the tax payers.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#5New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:53:30
@spudboy Said

hey its not nice bailng out companys, but we don't have much choice.
if company's like banks go bust we're f***ed, thousands are made unemployed and then the indirect affect cause loads of other businesses to collapse.

and plus , when the economy picks up and the banks start making money again, remember we the taxpayers have major stakes in several of the banks.

bexhill, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:54:00
and why did those banks need to borrow money?

because they lent money to individuals or businesses that could not pay it back.

i still dont see why my taxes should pay for it.

you dont throw good money after bad.
NotlihNhoj On August 12, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:55:22
There's also the issue that many MPs will be hoping for nice, cosy jobs with financial instititutions such as banks when they're kicked out of parliament, and therefore wish to feather those nests...

antrim, Ireland
#8New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 21:56:41
if the banks collapse you're and the population is f***ed, simple as.

banks and car manufacturers are too important, we can't just let them fail.

as in the end we suffer the major consequences of their collapse.

bexhill, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:01:24
@mark_is_god Said

if company's like banks go bust we're f***ed, thousands are made unemployed and then the indirect affect cause loads of other businesses to collapse.

and plus , when the economy picks up and the banks start making money again, remember we the taxpayers have major stakes in several of the banks.

everyone keeps going on about when the economy picks up.

when is that exactly , i am sorry to say it but i think we are talking years here , not days or weeks.

i agree jobs need to be saved or created but i have not seen the govt. do anything worthwhile yet.

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:04:34
there's not much the government can do, but ours as well as the americans have given bailouts to several major company's, that will hopefully stop them collapsing and help them back to profit making.

and several tax cuts have been made, and allowances, such as the heating one have been increased.

bexhill, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:11:47
@mark_is_god Said

@mark_is_god Said

there's not much the government can do, but ours as well as the americans have given bailouts to several major company's, that will hopefully stop them collapsing and help them back to profit making.

and several tax cuts have been made, and allowances, such as the heating one have been increased.

not much the government can do. well if they cant do anything we really are in the s***.

how about controlling immigration.

how about cracking down on those that are able to work but claim benefits.

how about making it financially possible for people to retire at a reasonable age.( by the way the last two points pay for each other )

how about making the health service efficient.

i could go on all night.i dont know all the answers , i just know we must try something different.

antrim, Ireland
#12New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:16:39
controlling illegal immigration yes i agree.
but not with legal immigration, those workers provide work at discount prices, and yes you could argue "they're stealing jobs".
but they really don't there are plenty of jobs to be had, you just have put a bit of effort into looking for one.
and just like us they pay taxes.

and i don't think the government should bend over backwards so that people can have a easy retirement, that should be down to the people themselves.

bexhill, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:22:12
@mark_is_god Said

controlling illegal immigration yes i agree.
but not with legal immigration, those workers provide work at discount prices, and yes you could argue "they're stealing jobs".
but they really don't there are plenty of jobs to be had, you just have put a bit of effort into looking for one.
and just like us they pay taxes.

and i don't think the government should bend over backwards so that people can have a easy retirement, that should be down to the people themselves.

if you save and put money aside for your retirement then you should be allowed to do so without paying taxes on this money. that is why some are continuing to work.

on immigration how many people can this country sustain , there must be a limit , the plenty of jobs you talk about will dry up.

antrim, Ireland
#14New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:24:38
the population has always been increasing rapidly, even before the immigration of country's like poland made the news.

we will cope.
NotlihNhoj On August 12, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 22:30:13
The government can do something. It could reign in all the ridiculous finalcial speculation that put the banks into the mess there in.
Stopping so called 'short trading' permanently would be a good start.
But there is no way our (UK) government would have the guts to do anything like this, so they just keep papering over the cracks.
The economy will fail eventually unless the system is properly overhauled, and no amount of 'bail outs' will change that, merely delay it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs