Health & Fitness

the 'obesity epidemic' has been blown out of proportion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
sarahmac On September 15, 2006

Dunedin, New Zealand
#1New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 03:53:40
obesity is not a disease it is a risk factor along with many others like smoking, not enough exercise, nutrition - more people die in the usa from factors associated with being under weight than
over weight in the USA each year.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#2New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 03:57:33
i don't know why it was termed a "disease"

it's, like you said, a risk factor... however, a lot of people are overweight and these people are also not exercising and with bad nutrition... causing them to be grossly unhealthy and these risk factors add up...

maybe they termed it as a "disease" to get more attention to combat it? but i think it has backfired..
sarahmac On September 15, 2006

Dunedin, New Zealand
#3New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 04:01:48
it is a problem - people need to have healthy lifestlyes. i just think that groups like the drug companies are hyping it up.
thebear On July 12, 2011

, Singapore
#4New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 04:07:48
ahh.. the drug companies...

you cannot fight obesity with a pill... no matter the hype...

it's down to discipline, good sense, exercise and a healthy diet...

but these are hard to do.. so, marketers and drug companies find products to pander to the public... if i made a pill which will screw you up but you will lose 10kg, i bet the world will be beating a path to my doorway and promising me millions in royalty if i sold them the patent...

heck, it happened with that stuff ephidrine or "ma huang" (chinese)... the stuff worked and melted excess weight off.. but it killed a few people here in singapore and caused the liver failure of some minor celebrity...

they'd die trying instead of changing their lifestyles...

so there you have it.. maybe it is human nature to choose the easy path.. take a pill instead of working on it... we have our prozac, our ritalin, our xenical.. instead of working on the cause, we take a pill...

alas...
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#5New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 04:22:49
the insurance and health industries don't like obesity because of burdensome costs

i think i trust my eyes when i see so many overweight people around town

the statistics confirm it
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#6New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 05:19:52
The whole "disease" thing fits in very well with a self victimizing society. We all just looove to be victims. Anything to avoid responsibility.
vanished On April 24, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 06:54:57

do you realize that it is the people who are well off that are the healthy'est (using the term lightly because of wired celebs) but heathly food is so much more expensive than junck food.

now i don't mean junk food as in take aways i mean junk food as in cheep chips, pies, oven dinners....etc. to buy these is so much more easy and cheeper that people who cannot afford healthy food have to buy it.
sometimes a healthy option is too expensive........ok yeah that is no excuse for some sizes people can get to...but i hope you get the point i am trying to get across. :
xxkirmxx On March 27, 2009

essex, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 06:59:38
@sarahmac Said
obesity is not a disease it is a risk factor along with many others like smoking, not enough exercise, nutrition - more people die in the usa from factors associated with being under weight than

Anything that can put someone's life at risk is serious, and smoking is discouraged, so so should obesity. i dont think it has been blown out of proportion, it is a big problem in the world.
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 07:23:10
one minute the uk goverment are saying we are all living longer and this will put strain on pensions, then we are all eating too many pies and we will all die young. wish they would make their mind up.
woopwoop23 On January 10, 2007

Deleted

melbourne, Australia
#10New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 07:25:28
it really has the said in Australia i think in like 20 yaers every seond kid will be fat
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 07:36:50
Its more like a social disease, life is too easy, drive thru fast food and ATM's. How many people walk into town every day to get that evening's dinner? Before every home had a freezer people did it all the time. A 30 minute walk was nothing.

Old people have more exercise than most
sal On November 29, 2007

Beirut, Lebanon
#12New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 09:28:09
some mentioned "alot being OVERWEIGHT"
actually.. over weight is not obesity.. because overweight cann be controled in 2-3 weeks..
obesity cannot be controlled that way.. most ppl who r obese.. sometimes its their fault. but sometimes its heredity!!.. or something in their own body.. and this needs to be fixed!.. not that they dont care.. if they didnt fix it.. it may result in complications afterwards.. in life..
so i guess thats why they call it a desease.. though not every obese person is like that.. but u have to take into consideration why thise person is obese ..
if its not his fault ,,, then u must call it desease... like any other.. u cant help it.. its not ur fault..
thats why they call it desease..

oh its not about eating right or wrong or exercises.. in these cases.. its about seeing a doctor and fixing wats wrong..
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#13New Post! Sep 16, 2006 @ 05:31:46
@sarahmac Said

I wouldn't say its a disease either. Its a result of certain lifestyles and genetic makeups.
Although you can't ignore that it is becoming a serious health issue. Ok maybe its not as important or serious as some things, but the action people are beginning to take, preventative measures is whats needed to stop it becoming increasingly prevlant in society.

are we supposed to just sit back until everyones overweight, action needs to be taken now to stop it. This doens't just go for obesity it goes for all diseases and conditions.

People need to shift the health system from an treatment approach to one of a preventative health approach
dutchangel On November 16, 2006

Amsterdam, Netherlands
#14New Post! Sep 16, 2006 @ 18:42:47
@vanished Said

do you realize that it is the people who are well off that are the healthy'est (using the term lightly because of wired celebs) but heathly food is so much more expensive than junck food.

now i don't mean junk food as in take aways i mean junk food as in cheep chips, pies, oven dinners....etc. to buy these is so much more easy and cheeper that people who cannot afford healthy food have to buy it.
sometimes a healthy option is too expensive........ok yeah that is no excuse for some sizes people can get to...but i hope you get the point i am trying to get across. :

I get your point but I've been in a situation before when i couldn't afford a lot cause I was a "poor" student, but never have I eaten that s***ty MCD's or whatever, I bought appels, bread. There are other options. By the way, junk food is not cheap, It's cheaper to cook a meal at home then to buy junk food. It's lazyness that causes obesity. I'm a 100% sure of that.
sal On November 29, 2007

Beirut, Lebanon
#15New Post! Sep 16, 2006 @ 21:02:59
did anyone read wat i wrote or just ignore it..
its nottttt only ppl who eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs