Politics

the media

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#1New Post! Sep 13, 2005 @ 18:08:43
I'm a journalism srudent so my view of the news media has changed a lot over the past few
years. I'm wondering what other people think about it. Is it objective? Is it free? Are they
doing a good job?
Personally, I'm more and more impressed with them every day.
sarahf On October 08, 2013

ottawa, Canada
#2New Post! Sep 13, 2005 @ 18:15:45
i hate the news . its depressing.... the paparatzi is stupid.. but a good story is always apprechiated
dolphinluver16 On June 19, 2008

Cincinnati, Ohio
#3New Post! Sep 13, 2005 @ 19:26:17
The media is horrible. They sensationalize everything. All they care about is ratings. A lot of what you hear on the news isn't entirely true. Especially when it comes to studies. You should read a book by Dr. Dean Edell called Eat, Drink, and Be Merry. It's very good. It exposes all the lies you are told about health issues. There is an entire chapter dealing with the media. You will be shocked.
twiztidangel On May 19, 2010
Why So Serious?

kingdom of muggles, Canada
#4New Post! Sep 13, 2005 @ 19:29:30
Sometimes when Im watching the news they play like really important stuff thats happening around the world (like the hurrican) and they play it for like 3 mins asking what people think and then thats it. How is that news? It just annoy me because sometimes they like to stray away from whats really happening, and then sometimes they will turn things around and you usually get a different sided story. And then when they do have a story its like blown up all over the place. The news is sad and its ALWAYS focusing on the depression of the world. I never watch it or pick up a newspaper. Sometimes Ill look on the internet but thats about it.
bushism_eqauls_war On November 29, 2005

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 13, 2005 @ 22:33:54
um news chanels like fox news who have the presidents first cousin as there producer are not objective in anyway or form but other news stations which work without influence of powerful individuals are not bad i would be lost without the news

, California
#6New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 00:47:52
@bushism_eqauls_war Said
um news chanels like fox news who have the presidents first
cousin as there producer are not objective in anyway or form but other news stations which
work without influence of powerful individuals are not bad i would be lost without the news

I think that's what most people don't realize. We relly on the media for an awful lot. I don't
just mean TV either. Anything from TV to newspapers to radio is what I mean by media.

, California
#7New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 00:51:52
@dolphinluver16 Said
The media is horrible. They sensationalize everything. All they care
about is ratings. A lot of what you hear on the news isn't entirely true. Especially when it
comes to studies. You should read a book by Dr. Dean Edell called Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
It's very good. It exposes all the lies you are told about health issues. There is an entire
chapter dealing with the media. You will be shocked.

Televisoin news stations do sensationalize a lot of stories. You have to remember that they
have to cater to what people want to hear and see. I'm not sure if it's true that a lot of what
you see is false though. The media has a responsibility and obligation to be truthful and
factual. If they aren't telling the truth they shouldn't be on the air, and if they have problems
telling the truth they usualy aren't on the air that long.
tlfindley On November 27, 2005

chatsworth, Georgia
#8New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 01:19:57
Dan Rather is a good example of how journalists have to be accountable for what they report.
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#9New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 02:13:47
I think the with Katrina the Journalist are now doing the job that they are supposed to. To ask the hard questions. This is something that the mainline media didn't do with the lead up to Iraq. I think that at that moment, if the media came out againt the Pres. that the public would find the media unpopular.

Now you have FEMA say help is there on site and a reporter with a camara rolling saying uhh, nope. No relief here. " I think the media is back. Just for how long?
whiter_light On October 21, 2008

Melbourne, Australia
#10New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 06:01:51
I was actually going to post a similar topic just a couple of days ago. But focused more on the Australian media. I've only been exposed to U.S news media for a few months now. I thought Australian news programs were somewhat biased, but they're nothing compared to what I've seen of the U.S media. Fox news Bill O'reilly instantly come to mind! How is that fool still on the Air???

I've been thinking lately how much the Australian media had evolved over the last decade or so. The way they have been focusing on some of the recent disasters of late has really been irking me. Take Katrina for example. If this had have happened 10 years ago it would have been reported as a disaster for the American people. But instead they're just focused on the effect its had on us as a nation (Australia.) Thousands believed dead.... who cares? 5 Aussies missing, and they carry on like half the population had just been wiped out by its own hurricane. 9/11, the Asian Tsunami and the spate of Airline disasters of late have all been reported in exactly the same fashion.

I don't know, I sometimes think they're feeling left out. Now I know what my father meant when he'd say to me as a kid "If someone jumped of a bridge would you?"

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread!
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#11New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 08:17:09
the media are horrible. Do you ever hear good stories. We'll take a magazine for example. Usually the cover will be something controversial, such as (not true) Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie together. Never will the story of actor Sean Penn donating money to the hurricane Katrina victims make the front page.

Bad news or controversial news is the news that sells. Usually there are a few good, light-hearted stories and the end of each section. This is to make you go away feeling good and making sure that you come back to watch the rest of the news.

Until humans are no longer intriged with what celebrities or famous people are doing wrong, the media are going to be nasty. Thank goodness they aren't following me around all day
localisedgirl On October 03, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 14, 2005 @ 08:21:13
i like to be kept up to date with news but newspapers have a habit of printing what they like to make the story more interesting. I hate celebrity news though, I for one dont care whos bonking who etc, and i think celebrities should have legal rights to their pics and stories being publicised. Just because they starred in a good film, doesnt give their rights away to have a private life. they cant go on holiday without being snapped, the silly things like being snapped with another person which headlines a new "affair" etc, if these stories arent true they should be liable for legal action. Also why are pictures of their weddings allowed to be taken. surely this is an invasion of privacy?

, California
#13New Post! Sep 15, 2005 @ 05:49:07
Well, lots of people (including me) don't consider tabloids legitimate media.
Also, I think the media has and obligation to show/print the truth. I think people
expect the media to cater too much to happy news. I think it's important for the
media to tell what's actually going on not just the happy stuff (or who's bonking
who). Personally, I think with the Katrina coverage the media has uncovered a lot
about whats going on and has done a good job reporting it. I mean, they even
uncovered enough to get the FEMA director fired, and they new a lot before the
government new it.
sarahf On October 08, 2013

ottawa, Canada
#14New Post! Sep 15, 2005 @ 17:31:40
why do we nee news. i learned aboutn evry thing that happend wright here!!!

, California
#15New Post! Sep 15, 2005 @ 17:32:55
@sarahf Said
why do we nee news. i learned aboutn evry thing that happend wright here!!!

lol. Yeah, the only thing is the people you learned it from had to learn it from somewhere.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs