Philosophy

the masks

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 01:52:52
another of my favorite ' twilight zone ' episode written by rod serling. it is call ' the masks " . i happen watched last week on metv. i put this topic in this catalog, because this episode more a study of human nature. whether is the best of human nature or the worst of human nature, you decide ? remember a mask can hide you from others and you can from others. a mask can also bring out the best or worst in you. this story fall under greed and sweet revenge ( that not the right word for it, but judge what is after watch this episode ) with a peace of mind combine, but whether you find from this story is dwell in the twilight zone.

the masks

Jason Foster, a very wealthy old man, is dying. Cranky and candid, Jason is not cheered by a visit from his daughter Emily and her family—husband Wilfred, son Wilfred, Jr., and daughter Paula. All four have various, terrible traits. Emily is a cowardly, self-centered hypochondriac who whines and complains about the most trivial things. Wilfred, a successful businessman, is introverted and greedy, thinking of everything in monetary terms. Paula is extremely vain, constantly checking her appearance in the mirror; in fact, she is looking in one when she greets her grandfather. Wilfred Jr., meanwhile, is an oafish, sadistic bully who enjoys causing pain and suffering to other people and animals. Moreover, it is clear that they are only there in order to claim Jason's fortune once he dies. Jason is not shy about his opinions of his family and openly insults each of them. In an act of apology, he says he has a special Mardi Gras party planned for the little group that night.

Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 02:50:56
I'll never trust an inheritance from Skeletor ever again!

A bit self-righteous but if not for that overtone most of the TZ's wouldn't have been strangely interesting.

I remember that credits roll...from friggin' age 7. Been a long time since I've seen it. Love the product placement for Pall Mall.

So I guess we can assume that dad must've made his fortune as an archeologist bringing back enchanted and cursed loot.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 03:20:39
eb- i was thinking about the father why would be interest in the masks. what i meant ' greed and sweet revenge '. at the end of the story, the father taught his family as lesson would forget. we not know if the father did for self reasons or not. i think the ending is more like ' poety justice ' than anything. every time, i see this episode, i keep think the quote, ' what comes around, goes around. ' am not sure, why i am thinking is?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#4New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 10:21:11
@twilitezone911 Said

eb- i was thinking about the father why would be interest in the masks. what i meant ' greed and sweet revenge '. at the end of the story, the father taught his family as lesson would forget. we not know if the father did for self reasons or not. i think the ending is more like ' poety justice ' than anything. every time, i see this episode, i keep think the quote, ' what comes around, goes around. ' am not sure, why i am thinking is?

I did not get the point of this one. The old man valued honesty. His family was dishonest; their faces before the party were the real masks; after the party their masks were removed and their real personalities were revealed.

I am not sure what the doctor says at the end means.

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 11:57:12
@twilitezone911 Said

' what comes around, goes around. ' am not sure, why i am thinking is?

Hmm....maybe: "Apples don't fall too far from the tree."

Perhaps you're thinking that it was the father's own sour attitude that may have influenced the selfish character traits of his children....?

Too elaborate those failings in the children may have been result of the father's cynical and critical upbringing of them leaving them to resort to finding approval in other methods such as the daughter who suffered from vanity or the other son who put financial stability above love and family.

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 12:03:52
@Erimitus Said

I am not sure what the doctor says at the end means.

I hope you don't mean the guy warning about a cancer called "Hatred."

As for the doc confirming the father's death - Perhaps the first time he's seen a cadaver....all in one piece?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 12:20:16
i think the doctor mean - death is death. it doesn't matter what mask you are wearing in life. death is something - you don't be afraid of it. death accept who you are, at death, you accept you really are, too? the old man didn't need to wear a mask, he accept death with open arms, no fear, or no regrets?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 12:27:10
eb- your might right about what you said about the father. i thought the father was teaching his children, one more lesson, something even the masks couldn't hide from them. something the old man couldn't teach his children, but the masks could: humanity.

#9New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 14:12:09
@Electric_Banana Said

Hmm....maybe: "Apples don't fall too far from the tree."

Perhaps you're thinking that it was the father's own sour attitude that may have influenced the selfish character traits of his children....?

Too elaborate those failings in the children may have been result of the father's cynical and critical upbringing of them leaving them to resort to finding approval in other methods such as the daughter who suffered from vanity or the other son who put financial stability above love and family.

Good point

#10New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 14:13:34
@twilitezone911 Said

i think the doctor mean - death is death. it doesn't matter what mask you are wearing in life. death is something - you don't be afraid of it. death accept who you are, at death, you accept you really are, too? the old man didn't need to wear a mask, he accept death with open arms, no fear, or no regrets?

I will watch the end again...

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 23:37:37
@twilitezone911 Said

It was just a bit startling that was the first time the doctor was able to take notice of that...as if his previous encounters were all badly mangled.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 23:44:41
is it the 7 deadly sins?

we become how we are?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! Jul 23, 2014 @ 23:54:52
eb- i think the doctor was doing his job. with serling - the way he write these stories, make you believe that the doctor is screw-up. eb- back in 60's or back then, doctors didn't much had to work. the doctor depend on faith, anything than else. serling make illusions out of things, should work, but they don't. in reality, the twilight zone is really protecting illusions, but reality, we don't believe in fantasy. serling is that brilliant, he make you think after each story, he make you what if and you wonder.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Jul 24, 2014 @ 00:01:42
willi- yes, that the impression i got from this story. the deadly 7 sins are who we are, but not all show it. some of us project, it more than others. it is human nature, it is the dark side of humanity that project in this story.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#15New Post! Jul 24, 2014 @ 00:08:10
let everyone see you, as I have seen you.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs