The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

tell me lies. tell me sweet little lies.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 14:46:44
the one reason why i do not subscribe to any one organised religion is because of the obvious lies they tell.
every religion has a holy book packed full with such lies, that belong in a fairy tale book rather than one that millions of people worship and attempt to follow in everyday life.
if the major religions want to be taken seriously they should start debunking all the lies and myths that have for so long been strictly adhered to, despite modern day science showing that such lies cannot be true.
i believe in god, period. the rest i will never believe.
the trouble is these lies are right now causing more bloodshed throughout the world than anything else.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 14:54:46
@wildething Said
the one reason why i do not subscribe to any one organised religion is because of the obvious lies they tell.
every religion has a holy book packed full with such lies, that belong in a fairy tale book rather than one that millions of people worship and attempt to follow in everyday life.
if the major religions want to be taken seriously they should start debunking all the lies and myths that have for so long been strictly adhered to, despite modern day science showing that such lies cannot be true.
i believe in god, period. the rest i will never believe.
the trouble is these lies are right now causing more bloodshed throughout the world than anything else.

Iam so sooooo with ya on this one girlfriend!!!!!
6dark6dreams6 On August 19, 2010

hereford, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:21:43
its hard to avoid these kind of lies considering that we rarely know the truth

forgot the 'k' in 'know' sorry guys
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:23:15
The bible may or may not be full of lies depending on belief but there is alot of good stuff in there to. A lot of good strong morals and lessons to be had. I just don't like how almost all the religions lie about whats in there holy books. Or they change what it says to suit them better. Or they just outright do somthing different then what there book says and use the scape goat of saying "god told me to do it this way in a dream".

hereford, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:24:43
Quote:
"god told me to do it this way in a dream".

but he DID! i swear he did!
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#6New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:28:08
@arcades Said
The bible may or may not be full of lies depending on belief but there is alot of good stuff in there to. A lot of good strong morals and lessons to be had. I just don't like how almost all the religions lie about whats in there holy books. Or they change what it says to suit them better. Or they just outright do somthing different then what there book says and use the scape goat of saying "god told me to do it this way in a dream".

This is what I meant.
I believe in the Holy Bible, King James version.
The "trinity", with all my being.
..I was speaking in regard to all those other religions, who teach hate and such as a means to an end..senseless really..just "hateful".

hereford, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:35:14
Quote:
who teach hate and such as a means to an end

If it works then its hardly a lie...you might want to question their morals but not their honesty.

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 15:35:54
the thing is back in the dark ages i believe that such holy books had a real relevance in the world, but we have moved on since then, and there needs to be a good hard look at most religious texts by all major religions. we don't need silly allegorical stories to help us understand what a religious figure is saying anymore, we want the truth, and that is not the truth according to some holy book, but the outright truth as anyone with common sense defines it.
notsogallant On October 28, 2016

Brum, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 16:54:00
@wildething Said

I'm thinking of Hitler, Stalin, and the Killing Fields of the Khmer Rouge; and no doubt there are countless other non-religious mega-atrocities committed throughout history. Let's not get too hung up on religion itself. Most of these infamous slaughters usually boil down to an individual or a small group of self-serving individuals

hereford, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 17:04:58
we are also forgetting the benefits to religions...they give people hope, something to believe in, acceptance within the group etc
Its not all bad

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 17:16:27
great we put with a whole lot of religious intolerance and mass slaughter because organised religion makes some people feel good.
and yes of course there are mass murderers like stalin and hitler who do not kill in the name of religion, but over the centuries the number of needless deaths caused by religion outnumber those that are not.
we could start with the inquisition right up to the present day.
and the trouble is whereas we can rationalise mass murder caused by stalin and hitler, with the jews killing palestinians and vice versa we come up against a brick wall, where rationality has no voice, because apparently god told each side to kill the other. and it is no good arguing that that is not actually religion, because each side is convinced that it is.
notsogallant On October 28, 2016

Brum, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 17:17:18
@6dark6dreams6 Said
we are also forgetting the benefits to religions...they give people hope, something to believe in, acceptance within the group etc
Its not all bad

Exactly! What we have to watch out for here is our tendency to always simplify things in terms of good and bad, us and them. Life is rarely, if ever, so simple

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 29, 2007 @ 18:31:50
i agree notsogallant.
though i am not against people who simply believe in god, that is fine, for so do i, but lets cut all the crap, the silliness and rituals that have no meaning for people today.
and some nonsense is far more dangerous than just a silly little story about adam and eve, i mean in islamic countries there is sharia law, that means law according to the koran, which states that a woman who is found to be an adulteress can be stoned to death, and i know of a website where there is a video of a young seventeen year old girl in iraq being stoned to death by a whole village, watched by police and her family, simply for falling in love with the a boy the family did not approve of.
this cannot continue.

hereford, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 30, 2007 @ 10:58:22
Quote:
i agree notsogallant.
though i am not against people who simply believe in god, that is fine, for so do i, but lets cut all the crap, the silliness and rituals that have no meaning for people today.
and some nonsense is far more dangerous than just a silly little story about adam and eve, i mean in islamic countries there is sharia law, that means law according to the koran, which states that a woman who is found to be an adulteress can be stoned to death, and i know of a website where there is a video of a young seventeen year old girl in iraq being stoned to death by a whole village, watched by police and her family, simply for falling in love with the a boy the family did not approve of.
this cannot continue.

the funny thing is though, they don't see that what they are doing is wrong. How are we meant to tell them that they can't do that?
They might be saying back home, on their forum sites 'there is this country where there are people who have sex before marriage, this just cant go on'
Don't get me wrong, i don't think its nice at all to stone anyone to death no matter what they have done...however, thats what they believe and i think that no matter what you say nothing will sway their beliefs in any way.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013