swine flu

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:27:13
the political elite and the mass media seem intent on whipping up public hysteria regarding the spread of swine flu!

Its just a strain of flu people, no more people are dying than they do when they catch other flu symptoms, only those with underlying medical problems are at risk.

So why the public panic, what is the real reason behind this media onslaught.

Am i on my own in thinking this story is a con, just like the CJD/BSE crisis a few years back, i remember a headline saying it could kill upto a million people- did it happen? NO

So long as swine flu is front page news, other more serious issues are being swept under the carpet, swine flu is a political smokescreen to divert the gulliable people of the world away from real issues/stories.
Moomin On March 18, 2010

Deleted

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:38:41
It's driving me mad, ive just seen on the news that theres 100,00 new cases this week! How can they say that when there not testing people?! If you have a cough and a high temp you have swine flu?! Its stupid, I bet the numbers of people who actually have it are no where near that!

Deleted

#3New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:41:26
i will believe it when i grow a curly tail
Moomin On March 18, 2010

Deleted

#4New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:45:24
Pmsl

Deleted

#5New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:50:22
however, i have had a craving for pork scratchings in recent days- is that a symptom?

amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:52:02
@Hinckleylad Said

the political elite and the mass media seem intent on whipping up public hysteria regarding the spread of swine flu!

Its just a strain of flu people, no more people are dying than they do when they catch other flu symptoms, only those with underlying medical problems are at risk.

So why the public panic, what is the real reason behind this media onslaught.

Am i on my own in thinking this story is a con, just like the CJD/BSE crisis a few years back, i remember a headline saying it could kill upto a million people- did it happen? NO

So long as swine flu is front page news, other more serious issues are being swept under the carpet, swine flu is a political smokescreen to divert the gulliable people of the world away from real issues/stories.

I understand your point and I think there has been some misinformation about swine flu. However, we have only recently learned who is at risk and who is not, simply by observing who lived and died when they contracted it. I think that doctors and the media, like everyone else, have been learning more baout it as the disease spread and progressed.

I guess the issue is most people who are at risk of respiratory illness have a flu shot, but those flu shots would not have protected them from this strain. It's very common for elderly people to die of flu, but not younger people, even if they have underlying illnesses, because they already have immunity to most flu strains - or have had a recommended flu shot because of their risks.

Had most govts not taken the measures they have taken, there may be more people who contracted swine flu and may have died. The public outcry about govt disinterest in this flu strain would be enormous - and understandable.
Moomin On March 18, 2010

Deleted

#7New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:55:40
@Hinckleylad Said

however, i have had a craving for pork scratchings in recent days- is that a symptom?

Yes it is! You have it! Omg I bet I get it now, Thanks!

Deleted

#8New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:57:20
the government in britain are saying they will not have enough anti-flu drugs until september, that is not what i call responding to the situation.

Glaxo kline are set to make billions from this

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:59:00
@Moomin Said

It's driving me mad, ive just seen on the news that theres 100,00 new cases this week! How can they say that when there not testing people?! If you have a cough and a high temp you have swine flu?! Its stupid, I bet the numbers of people who actually have it are no where near that!

In Australia, confirmed swine flu cases, like other reportable diseases, have to be reported to state govt health head offices, who compile the results. Same goes with hospital admissions where people test positive. And people who meet a certain criteria are being sent to certain health centres for testing, with hotlines set up for them to receive their results.

Doctors will insist on swabbing you for swine flu if you have been in contact with someone who already has it or have been OS and you are symptomatic within a 7 day period.

I can't comment on how the results in your country are being compiled but if the health regulations are similar to ours, the new cases reported are probably quite accurate. What they probably can't reflect is how many of those people have already recovered & are okay now.

Deleted

#10New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 06:59:23
damn it, girlfriends done me a bacon sandwich for my brekkie!

do i risk eating it?

oh f*** it......

mmmmmmmmmmmm......burp........

oink, oink, oink

Sydney, Australia
#11New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:01:45
@Hinckleylad Said

the government in britain are saying they will not have enough anti-flu drugs until september, that is not what i call responding to the situation.

Glaxo kline are set to make billions from this

I actually read somewhere on a link provided by another TFS member that the UK had ordered an extraordinary amount of flu vax - more than would be needed for this year and next winter too. There was some criticism as to why they had ordered so much.

You're right about Glaxo. Not a bad time to buy shares with them actually.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#12New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:07:23
I was reading stuff about the last big one during WWI. Apparently there were "waves" of it (apparently the worse strain being spread by military members being sent oversees to different locations for war). Also stark difference between their methods of preventing the spread compared with the current ones. Unless some major bizarre strain which affects every person that contracts it hits us, i think our prevention and quarantine methods will keep it from ever reaching deadly pandemic proportions.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#13New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:11:02
@Moomin Said

Perhaps it is people who crave attention, thinking that any symptoms i.e. a sore throat or something like that, when they have been running around in the rain, then suddenly fall ill thinking it is swine flu
Moomin On March 18, 2010

Deleted

#14New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:15:30
@amelie3 Said

In Australia, confirmed swine flu cases, like other reportable diseases, have to be reported to state govt health head offices, who compile the results. Same goes with hospital admissions where people test positive. And people who meet a certain criteria are being sent to certain health centres for testing, with hotlines set up for them to receive their results.

Doctors will insist on swabbing you for swine flu if you have been in contact with someone who already has it or have been OS and you are symptomatic within a 7 day period.

I can't comment on how the results in your country are being compiled but if the health regulations are similar to ours, the new cases reported are probably quite accurate. What they probably can't reflect is how many of those people have already recovered & are okay now.

They've stopped testing most people over here hun, the goverment said it was to costly, so now if you have a temp and a cough there automaticly saying its swine flu, your not aloud to go to your doc's, you have to phone them, then they tell you to send someone to pick the tamiflu up for you.
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#15New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 07:15:31
I agree with you about the Media Hyp,and haven't seen anybody like this one below who looks like it ,because they have Pig Flu,what will it be next year??? The Dogs Disease???
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs