My Stats

Antarctica
PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal
stupidity
November 09, 2017 @ 04:35:12 pm
Characterizing a person as stupid (as I understand it) is pejorative.

Why do you think that is?

Are stupid people necessarily bad people?

Are smart people necessarily good people?

What is it that makes a stupid person stupid?

Would you characterize your self as stupid?

Would you characterize your self as smart?

Would you characterize your self as sometimes smart and sometimes stupid?

Quote | Reply

Willi

New Post! November 09, 2017 @ 05:01:05 pm
I have stupid days so I will know what to learn from.
I have bad days so I know what a good day is.

Erimitus

New Post! November 09, 2017 @ 05:01:18 pm
Some people slower thinkers than other people. In one situation a person might be the fastest thinker while in another situation the same person might be the slowest thinker. That would make stupidity relative. Moe was the smartest of the Three Stooges…

People who are slow to understand (or unable to understand) are stupid. Of course there are people who believe that they understand but do not.

People who are unable to learn are stupid. One person may be unable to learn abstract ideas yet unable to learn practical applications of those ideas. There are people who are skilled at something but do not understand the basic concepts of that which they are skilled at. One person may be able to ride a bicycle but not know the physics behind it skill while another person may not be able to ride a bike but understands the physics of balance.

Some people ramble on and on saying the same thing over and over only in different ways (as I am doing here) and some people (Wili for example) are succinct and able to say a whole lot with a few words.

Willi

New Post! November 09, 2017 @ 05:04:21 pm
I think some stay stupid because they do not look at a mistake as a learning experience.
The fail.
they fail.
it failed.
I don't know why.
I must be stupid.
???

mrmhead

New Post! November 09, 2017 @ 05:18:45 pm
Being stupid doesn't make one necessarily good or bad.

I believe "stupid" is an extreme condition of being "dumb"
And this is not to confuse the term with "Ignorance"
(Ignorance can be fixed, stupidity is forever)

If one is dumb or stupid, they "just don't get it"

I am dumb (probably not to the extreme of being stupid) to the ways and means of electricity. I'm not ignorant, because I did have courses of that in school, but I just didn't "get it" - I had to resort to either memorization or poor grades. It was usually the latter.

But physics and math - for whatever reason - I consider myself "smart". I "get it" and if I study more, I can "get" more and continue to build on it.
... Electricity, electrical theories and such - I'm not so sure I could.

That is a simplistic, sliver of considerations.

Dumb, Stupid or just Ignorance can be considered for a wide range of topics:
"Street" Smarts
Business
Social
Art
Fashion

Justpassing

New Post! November 09, 2017 @ 09:01:34 pm
@Erimitus Said

Some people slower thinkers than other people. In one situation a person might be the fastest thinker while in another situation the same person might be the slowest thinker. That would make stupidity relative. Moe was the smartest of the Three Stooges…

People who are slow to understand (or unable to understand) are stupid. Of course there are people who believe that they understand but do not.

People who are unable to learn are stupid. One person may be unable to learn abstract ideas yet unable to learn practical applications of those ideas. There are people who are skilled at something but do not understand the basic concepts of that which they are skilled at. One person may be able to ride a bicycle but not know the physics behind it skill while another person may not be able to ride a bike but understands the physics of balance.

Some people ramble on and on saying the same thing over and over only in different ways (as I am doing here) and some people (Wili for example) are succinct and able to say a whole lot with a few words.

Stupid comments

Nah, I'm joking buddy

I had an adult student (22) who had to adapt a 4 person recipe to accomodate 20 people.
We both went into the supermarket and she struggled with the calculations. (Yep I know it's not that complicated - multiple the quantity by 5)
After a couple attempts she burst into tears and I asked her what was wrong.
"I'm stupid, I can't do it."
I asked her why she felt she was stupid?
"Everybody says I'm stupid." and again she burst into tears. People were looking at us.

"You are not stupid. Because if you are then so am I"
She looked at me bewildered.. confused.
I pointed out to her that I was using my phone... the calculator in fact.
"I suck at maths... I use fingers to count, and reams of paper to do calculations on... and calculators. People who call you stupid are stupidly ignorant... or lazy. They should of taught you how to overcome your difficulty just as I am showing you"

You should have seen the smile on her face as we completed the task... her using her phone calculator.

Sorry mate, being slow to learn, or slow to understand doesn't = stupid.
Not willing to learn.. or understand does.

As for the Three Stooges - they were smart. They knew that acting stupid could make them a lot of money. lol

chaski

Stalker

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 01:52:51 am
@Erimitus Said

Why do you think that is? Because be when people do stupid things, other people get hurt.

Are stupid people necessarily bad people? No... at least not in the same way Ted Bundy was bad.

Are smart people necessarily good people? No... many historical examples, I will avoid the obvious WWII reference... sort of...

What is it that makes a stupid person stupid? Mostly behavior that is or should have been obviously damaging to the person and/or others.

Would you characterize your self as stupid? Gullible behavior.

Would you characterize your self as smart? Academically... absolutely. On the other hand I have perpetrated some real boners in my day.

Would you characterize your self as sometimes smart and sometimes stupid? I think I tend to be smart but I infuse it with avoidable folly.... it has been said that you can always see a storm coming, but you can never stop it...which is true, but sitting there and watching the storm approach and then kick your a** isn't the smartest of options.

Eaglebauer

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 02:19:16 pm

Because it is technically taking a position that you are better and more capable in a way than the other person is. Saying someone else is stupid is the same thing as saying "I am smarter than you." It may be true, but it also can be taken easily as an affront, just as saying "I'm stronger than you / you are weak," or "I'm taller than you / you are short." One is relative (stupid, weak, short) and one may be totally objective (I am smarter, stronger, taller) but the assumption is that if you say the subjective, you're really implying the objective. And so the person will object on the subject. See what I did there?

No.

No.

I think usually genetics and other biological things out of their own control, but sometimes not. Boxers who get brain damaged...people who abuse certain chemicals...etc...can become more stupid than they were before these things.

Sometimes. Depends on context.

Sometimes. Depends on context.

Yes, and I think the vast majority of people would as well.

A quote often attributed to Einstein (I believe it's apocryphal and that Einstein never actually said or wrote it) is that everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

twilitezone911

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 02:54:34 pm
interesting thing, about the three stoogies that they spend hours to precisely time in practicing on developing their rountines, so well. not only, their slapsticks lately were dangerous to for little kids to played to repeat them. to make look like three got hurt, their times were one of the best slapstick in entertainment.

even, moe and two stoogies might play stoogies on film and stage, they were pretty smart off stage.

Jennifer1984

Returner and proud

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 06:11:32 pm
Why call anybody stupid at all..?

What do you gain from it? Does it make you feel better about yourself? If so, why do you need the reassurance of making yourself feel superior to another person by denigrating them..?

What's the bloody point.?

Erimitus

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 09:12:23 pm
Eagle: Characterizing a person as stupid is taking a position that you are better and more capable in a way that the other person is.

Eagle: Saying someone else is stupid is the same thing as saying "I am smarter than you."

Eagle: It may be true, but it also can be taken easily as an affront, just as saying "I'm stronger than you / you are weak," or "I'm taller than you / you are short."

E: Hence the term is pejorative.

Eagle: One is relative (stupid, weak, short) and one may be totally objective (I am smarter, stronger, taller) but the assumption is that if you say the subjective, you're really implying the objective.

Eagle: And so the person will object on the subject. See what I did there?

E: No, but you frequently go over my head. I guess I am just plain stupid. The term may be used self deprecatorily.

E: An accurate assessment of my intelligence would be low average on a good day and I do not have many good days. (I am very proud of my humility)

E: Sometimes I wish I was smarter than I am. But you play the hand you are dealt.

Eagle: I think usually genetics and other biological things out of their own control, but sometimes not. Boxers who get brain damaged...people who abuse certain chemicals...etc...can become more stupid than they were before these things.

E: Yeah. A chemical lobotomy or allowing your self to be repeatedly punched in the head is not overwhelmingly bright to start with.

E: I believe that a person may be programmed to be stupid (or think of themselves as stupid) If you continually tell a child he (and for some reason that is not clear to me he she is politically correct although it is cumbersome and uses a lot of unnecessary pixels) …he/she is stupid they will believe it and behave in a way that is stupid.

Erimitus

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 09:18:52 pm
E: I have never been accused of being smart. Smart people run the government and the government is (I have been told) all phuckedup.
Smart could be considered pejorative too. Smart people frequently believe that it is morally wrong to not take advantage of the not so smart such as I.

E: A stupid person lacks intelligence. As you and Albert pointed out a person may have intelligence in on field and not another.

E: A person may refer to themselves as stupid. “I am really stupid when it comes to playing poker.”

E: A person may refer to some else as stupid.

“What do you think of the new worker?”

“He is not overwhelmingly bright.”

“You mean stupid, right?

“Well, yeah.

E: one person may call another person stupid as an insult.

“Who did this?”

“I did.”

“No, you are not that stupid.”

“No I really am. …wait a second….

E: can you think of a way that the term stupid could be used in a way that was not critical?

Erimitus

New Post! November 10, 2017 @ 09:24:50 pm

Stupid is as stupid does

What does that mean?

mrmhead

New Post! November 11, 2017 @ 01:27:29 am
@Erimitus Said

Stupid is as stupid does

What does that mean?

We do what we are.

A horse eats hay.
A monkey climbs trees.
Stupid people do stupid things.

Erimitus

New Post! November 11, 2017 @ 02:56:41 am
@mrmhead Said

We do what we are.

A horse eats hay.
A monkey climbs trees.
Stupid people do stupid things.

We could also say, we are what we do.

"what are you?"

"I am a carpenter"?

You are what you do and if what you do is carpentry then you ARE a carpenter.

"what are you?"

"I am an animal"

"what kind of animal are you"

"I am a mammal"

"I see; what kind of mammal are you?"

"Well, I am a human"

"What do you do for a living?"

"I am a carpenter."

"I see, so you are a carpenter"

"Yes"

"You are what you do"

"I suppose.."