Health & Fitness

quit smoking?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 09:54:59
Are you trying to quit smoking? Is there a good way?
Corey.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 10:19:42
If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line, but it had better work this time.
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#3New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 10:31:59
at a guess like with any addiction it takes will power more then anything?

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 10:35:19
My will is not my own......or else I'd be up to my eyebrows in big round blonde booty.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 10:38:21
I smoked a pack a day for ten years and tried the patch, the gum, tapering off.

In end I had to just stop smoking cigarettes.

It was tough. What finally did it for me was this girl I used to work with. She was about twenty years old and expecting her first kid, and I'd worked with her about a month before she went into labor.

So she had her kid, and came back to work a little bit later, but then started feeling really sick all the time and couldn't figure out what was going on. She went to the doctor and they figured out that some of the placenta had been left inside her and had formed into a tumor, which quickly metastasized.

Two weeks later, she was f***ing dead.

I was standing out in front of work the day we heard about it smoking a cigarette and thinking to myself that it was really sad that someone so young had died of cancer, and then looked at my cigarette and thought "what the f*** am I doing?"

I put it on the ground, snuffed it with my foot, and haven't bought a cigarette since.

That was eight years ago.
CharmmyVee On November 24, 2012

Deleted

Here, way out here, New Mexico
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 10:46:21
@Eaglebauer Said

I smoked a pack a day for ten years and tried the patch, the gum, tapering off.

In end I had to just stop smoking cigarettes.

It was tough. What finally did it for me was this girl I used to work with. She was about twenty years old and expecting her first kid, and I'd worked with her about a month before she went into labor.

So she had her kid, and came back to work a little bit later, but then started feeling really sick all the time and couldn't figure out what was going on. She went to the doctor and they figured out that some of the placenta had been left inside her and had formed into a tumor, which quickly metastasized.

Two weeks later, she was f***ing dead.

I was standing out in front of work the day we heard about it smoking a cigarette and thinking to myself that it was really sad that someone so young had died of cancer, and then looked at my cigarette and thought "what the f*** am I doing?"

I put it on the ground, snuffed it with my foot, and haven't bought a cigarette since.

That was eight years ago.

Wow, that's really sad.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 13:00:20
Yup. Just quit.

Tried patches, tried the gum. Gum tasted like crap and the patches didn't stay stuck to me. Kept peeling off.

Once I got through the worst of the cravings, I kept asking myself "what does a cigarette add to this experience?" Then I just worked on distracting myself. Taking walks, keeping busy etc.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#8New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 04:51:00
@maximillion Said

It's not a matter of 'will power' at all. It has to be in you to even try to quit and that comes on it's own time, not with anyone or anything telling you to stop. Not even the person trying to stop can stop until it's 'time' for them to stop.

Really difficult to understand because people stop smoking in different ways. What works for one may be totally useless for another. It's a matter of finding (if ever) the right time and situation that will make the person stop.

In my opinion, I'd rather do it au naturelle than even go anywhere near those drugs they're using to supposedly help us quit smoking.

Smoking MAY kill me in such and such amount of years, but the alternative for the health system is to go on drugs or such with major severe and oftentimes fatal side effects. I think I'll wait for the time to come to me as it did when I stopped for 3 years. I didn't use anything then, just threw the pack away and was done with it for 3 years, started smoking again and if or when I do stop I want it to be the very same way.

Only time will tell if I will stop or not and no amount of the fear factor society puts out there or the nagging non smokers do will ever make anyone quit smoking, it has to come from within not from the outside.

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 05:14:30
@rosexthorn Said

It's not a matter of 'will power' at all. It has to be in you to even try to quit and that comes on it's own time, not with anyone or anything telling you to stop. Not even the person trying to stop can stop until it's 'time' for them to stop.

Really difficult to understand because people stop smoking in different ways. What works for one may be totally useless for another. It's a matter of finding (if ever) the right time and situation that will make the person stop.

In my opinion, I'd rather do it au naturelle than even go anywhere near those drugs they're using to supposedly help us quit smoking.

Smoking MAY kill me in such and such amount of years, but the alternative for the health system is to go on drugs or such with major severe and oftentimes fatal side effects. I think I'll wait for the time to come to me as it did when I stopped for 3 years. I didn't use anything then, just threw the pack away and was done with it for 3 years, started smoking again and if or when I do stop I want it to be the very same way.

Only time will tell if I will stop or not and no amount of the fear factor society puts out there or the nagging non smokers do will ever make anyone quit smoking, it has to come from within not from the outside.

It's been described to me several times as a switch that gets flicked.

As Eagle pointed out.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#10New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 05:23:31
With my husband, it was Chantix. I heard a lot of people telling me how bad that stuff could be, but it worked for him, for 8 months, until we got into a week long fight and he went and bought a pack mostly because I hate hate hate him smoking and he wanted to piss me off. It worked too, but now he doesn't have any chantix so he is still smoking.

One of the things people don't realize when trying to quit is all the triggers they need to deal with. Before quitting a person needs to really assess what the triggers are, and figure out something to deal with those triggers, a replacement behavior. People know they are going to need replacement behaviors for the smoking itself, but what about for the socializing with the crowd during smoke breaks, what about the boredom when driving, what about the pleasant taste that acts as a bit of dessert after a meal, for example.

The emotional aspects need to be dealt with too, and if smoking is an escape for negative emotions, then counseling may be of assistance.

Individuals with mental illnesses have a harder time quitting smoking, too. In fact, a very high percentage of people with a mental illness smoke. It's a bit of a self medication.

I've heard great things about ecigarettes as well.

But yes, more than anything a person needs to decide to quit, to be ready to quit.

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 08:11:18
@alk1975 Said

With my husband, it was Chantix. I heard a lot of people telling me how bad that stuff could be, but it worked for him, for 8 months, until we got into a week long fight and he went and bought a pack mostly because I hate hate hate him smoking and he wanted to piss me off. It worked too, but now he doesn't have any chantix so he is still smoking.

One of the things people don't realize when trying to quit is all the triggers they need to deal with. Before quitting a person needs to really assess what the triggers are, and figure out something to deal with those triggers, a replacement behavior. People know they are going to need replacement behaviors for the smoking itself, but what about for the socializing with the crowd during smoke breaks, what about the boredom when driving, what about the pleasant taste that acts as a bit of dessert after a meal, for example.

The emotional aspects need to be dealt with too, and if smoking is an escape for negative emotions, then counseling may be of assistance.

Individuals with mental illnesses have a harder time quitting smoking, too. In fact, a very high percentage of people with a mental illness smoke. It's a bit of a self medication.

But yes, more than anything a person needs to decide to quit, to be ready to quit.

Yeah, the smoking helps take the edge off the mental anxiety and during seasonal shifts I smoke a whole helluva lot more - the resulting nicotine poisoning ends up making me even sicker.

Winnipeg, Canada
#12New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:27:31
@maximillion Said

I wasn't telling you off. I quoted you because you said 'will power', which is not accurate and many people believe that to the addicts dismay.

If it could be done just by willing it to stop I would think no one would be addicted to anything because addictions are not pleasant.

Nothing whatsoever directed at you at all.

Winnipeg, Canada
#13New Post! Jan 06, 2012 @ 17:33:16
@alk1975 Said

Totally agree with that statement in bold. Many studies have been done correlating smoking and mental illness and they do seem to go hand in hand in a high percentage of people with a mental illness. Just like music, a high percentage of people with mental illness's have been known to listen to music most of the time.

Something to do with the calming effect of cigarettes and music tend to relax them for some strange reason and that's why therapists don't really push their patients to quit smoking as much as a GP would.

Your whole post is very well informed and unbiased.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#14New Post! Jan 07, 2012 @ 02:34:52
Seeing the potential long-term problems which go along with smoking can help. But thinking about short-term consequences can be more effective, especially with the youngest smokers out there. 13 year olds are more likely to fear taking risks such as smoking when they're warned about the short-term consequences. They are less intimidated when they hear about how the may develop serious health issues years from now.

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jan 07, 2012 @ 04:38:53
@rosexthorn Said

Something to do with the calming effect of cigarettes and music tend to relax them

Erm...music without lyrics that is.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs