The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Friendships

not liking your friend's boyfriend/girlfriend?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#1New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:08:19
Do (did) you have a friend and you couldn't stand the person they were dating?

I'm curious to know if they ever last or they ever realize the friend(s) were right the whole time. And how, being the friend, does one deal with it?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:10:44
I lost my best friend for a long time over the bloke she was seeing. I didn't have issue with him as such but more the way he controlled her. It was something she couldn't see until the end (3.5 years later).

the thing is I don't hold it against her she was really ill (eating disorder) and he almost encouraged her. She had no energy and no way to say no to him. she was completely controlled.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#3New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:11:44
Thats never happened to me,Sometimes it took me a while to know them,thats all.maybe I just give it more time
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:14:23
My exfriend married this guy I could not stand. He totally controlled her and she gave up her whole self to him. After they got married it was 'we we we' and she couldn't go anywhere without him, so our friendship ended. She couldn't make time for any of her friends.
Stalkee

#5New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:14:53
@angelcake Said

I lost my best friend for a long time over the bloke she was seeing. I didn't have issue with him as such but more the way he controlled her. It was something she couldn't see until the end (3.5 years later).

the thing is I don't hold it against her she was really ill (eating disorder) and he almost encouraged her. She had no energy and no way to say no to him. she was completely controlled.

That's sad. Are you friends now that her relationship is over?

@Allyson Said

Thats never happened to me,Sometimes it took me a while to know them,thats all.maybe I just give it more time

Well he's not even nice to me. Flat our rude to me actually. I don't give rude people the time of day.
Blue_Oval_Baby On September 02, 2009

Crack Ho Village, Colorado
#6New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:15:54
Unfortunately, I lost a friend over this. He hated me, I hated him, and we literally couldn't be in the same room together without fighting. She wouldn't dump him, and I couldn't stand him, so... Of course, she rarely went anywhere w/o him.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#7New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:16:27
She's still married to the loser and she's having a baby with him

I'm hoping he's in jail before the end of the year though...
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:17:17
@floydgirrl Said

Yeah she's basically moved into my flat now.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:17:33
@floydgirrl Said

Well he's not even nice to me. Flat our rude to me actually. I don't give rude people the time of day.

It's a tricky one. So often the friend in question thinks your interfering and it's difficult to know how much to say. The worst of it is when you know the partner is definitely not doing them any good but they can't see it. How far should you get involved?
Stalkee

#10New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:20:56
I've been the girl where my friend's didn't like my bf.

The first time, well they didn't like him because he "looked" different. TBH I agreed, but once they got to know him, they loved him. Not like I did, but they thought we were perfect together.

The second time, well, when I found out my friends didn't like him, I took a good look and decided, nope we're done. They were right. He was out of my life the following week.

I've had friends who have a*****es for husbands, they mostly know it, but still won't leave. But my friend, is dating this guy I just can't stand. I want him gone. I can't even make plans with her because he'll show up. Invited or uninvited.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#11New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:24:01
Since I have one friend who I run alot of decisions thru her, if she said the guy I was dating was a loser, I would drop him no questions asked.
And another friend who I would trust too.
But I've gotten good at picking out which guys are losers.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:25:24
@plebian_angel Said

Since I have one friend who I run alot of decisions thru her, if she said the guy I was dating was a loser, I would drop him no questions asked.

It's a good skill to develop. I have friends who I would trust. I know they have my welfare at heart (as I do theirs).
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#13New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:26:05
@claudibee Said

It's a tricky one. So often the friend in question thinks your interfering and it's difficult to know how much to say. The worst of it is when you know the partner is definitely not doing them any good but they can't see it. How far should you get involved?

As far as you need to..

A real friend, IMO, will do this, regardless of the outcome..

So what if they get angry and even sever the relationship. Hopefully they will come to their senses and see the relationship for what it is and end it - remembering 'you' as they do, and for being the true and caring friend that you are.

It is 'then' that you show them you are still there.
Stalkee

#14New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:29:11
@plebian_angel Said

Yeah, I've learned who to trust and who not to. If certain people told me to get rid of him, I would. I'd like to think I'm one of those people for my friends. but I think for some people men are more important than friends.
sillygoosey On July 23, 2009

Full of Hope,
#15New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 15:29:40
One of my best girlfriends husbands...UGH...none of us can stand him..including her . They've been married for 8 years..we've seen them 8 times (once a year).
He's an idiot...literally. He's very very weird, doesn't talk about anything besides how the government is out to get us, even the weather patterns are a government conspiracy.
She's my girl and I wouldn't end my friendship with her over his stupid a** but she knows he's not really welcome around us anyway, hell half the time she doesn't want him around.
Neh..she doesn't want to be single so she deals with it
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs