no "intelligent design" in Pennsylvania

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 17:59:42
I have no problem teaching intelligent design or religion, I want to make that known and clear.

However, I believe that it should be in theology class, or religious education. It is not based on observation, measurement, trend analysis, etc... Therefore it is not science. Saying "it's a theory" does not make it science. Saying that evolution "is also only a theory" does not level the playing field.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#17New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 17:59:56
@lili Said
but I bet they don't teach it in Biology class.

It's irrelevent because school are not even allowed to mention the bible in any class for any reason.
misunderstood On June 24, 2014
Persuasive Madam!

How about you come find me....
#18New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:02:16
@reiko Said
It's irrelevent because school are not even allowed to mention the bible in any class for any reason.

tino said:

Quote:
"Intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district

They can obviously mention the bible and intelligent deisgn in Religious education classes
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#19New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:02:29

They were not making the law, they were interpreting it as it related to a dispute between the people and the school board. I believe this is actually the role of the court and of judges. Anyway, we are getting somewhat off topic. If we want to argue the relative merits of the US Judicial system I think it belongs in another thread.
They were making law. They were imposing thier view on the scoolboard because a group of people did not like what the schoolboard was doing.

Deleted

#20New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:04:13
@reiko Said

I can't say that I think that is necessarily the right decision, from my standpoint.

Whether you believe in it or not, religion is an important aspect of any culture, and we should learn about it. It should be taught from a non-biased (to such extent that is possible) standpoint, however. Children should learn about all the major religions.

The "preaching" of religion belongs in a church however. A school should not indoctrinate children into any one religion.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#21New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:04:43
@misunderstood Said

They can obviously mention the bible and intelligent deisgn in Religious education classes
Not if the school wants state accreditation they can't. Atleast that is waht the principle of my school says. She said teacher can't even were a necklace with a cross on it that is visible for fear of being sued.
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#22New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:04:48
Having recently visited Pennsylvania, I can attest that there is absolutely no intelligent design whatsoever there.

Deleted

#23New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:05:57
@reiko Said
They were imposing thier view on the scoolboard because a group of people did not like what the schoolboard was doing.

But isn't that what any court has to do? When there is a dispute someone has to have the power to settle the dispute and enforce the settlement. I say again, we should move this to another thread, this isn't the matter at hand.
Edited: December 20, 2005 @ 18:06
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#24New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:06:01
wow, I thought some of the people posting in this thread were proud of
having open minds.

Is it just me or does it seem like intelligent design and Christianity somehow
seem to get people really worked up? It seems to me that people are pretty
antagonistic about this kind of thing. I think that's on both sides of the
debate though, and I don't specifically mean you guys. You guys are always
cool, but people seem to treat this like drivel.

I don't think there is any more evidence for evolution than there is for
creation, but people swaer by evolution and treat it as fact. Is is just a theary,
and intelligent design is a theory. Why should one get preference over the
other? They should teach both.

FYI, I hate the term "intelligent design" and I hate the concept. I think it's just
a melding of ideas that tries to make everyone happy. Either believe in
evolution or believe in creation. Don't take the cheap way out. Don't pick the
theory that contradicts both beliefs, but that just my opinion.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#25New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:06:21
@stumblinthrulife Said
I can't say that I think that is necessarily the right decision, from my standpoint.

Whether you believe in it or not, religion is an important aspect of any culture, and we should learn about it. It should be taught from a non-biased (to such extent that is possible) standpoint, however. Children should learn about all the major religions.

The "preaching" of religion belongs in a church however. A school should not indoctrinate children into any one religion.

I fail to see how mentioning somebody elses theory on the origins of humans is indoctrination.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#26New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:09:58
@stumblinthrulife Said
But isn't that what any court has to do? When there is a dispute someone has to have the power to settle the dispute and enforce the settlement. I say again, we should move this to another thread, this isn't the matter at hand.

Then what is the point in having the legislative branch of the government? Nobody ever agrees 100% on any law so lets have the courts decide everything since they don't seem to answer to anybody and their authority has been used to circumvent both of the other two branches of government.

Deleted

#27New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:17:58
@jwasafrog Said
Is is just a theary, and intelligent design is a theory. Why should one get preference over the other?

The difference is that evolution is a "scientific" theory, and ID is theology. There is no direct evidence for it. Nothing I can hold in my hands. Therefore it is not science, and should not be taught as such. If I had a child learning science at school, I would want them to be taught sound scientific thinking and principles. Intelligent Design does not fit these principles.

Evolution should however be taught as uncertain. We do not KNOW that this is how life came about. It is our best guess, based on observation.

That is not to say that ID should not be taught. It should be taught as theology, since that is what it is.

Deleted

#28New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 18:18:49
@reiko Said
@stumblinthrulife Said

Then what is the point in having the legislative branch of the government? Nobody ever agrees 100% on any law so lets have the courts decide everything since they don't seem to answer to anybody and their authority has been used to circumvent both of the other two branches of government.

Different topic.
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#29New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 19:38:41
@stumblinthrulife Said
The difference is that evolution is a "scientific" theory, and ID is
theology. There is no direct evidence for it. Nothing I can hold in my hands. Therefore it is
not science, and should not be taught as such. If I had a child learning science at school, I
would want them to be taught sound scientific thinking and principles. Intelligent Design
does not fit these principles.

Evolution should however be taught as uncertain. We do not KNOW that this is how life came
about. It is our best guess, based on observation.

That is not to say that ID should not be taught. It should be taught as theology, since that is
what it is.

There is a scientific interest in and research on inteligent design/creationism though. Should
we ignore parts of the scientific world simply because it doesn't fit into our
worldview? Even if someone believes it is a load of crap, shouldn't students still be
exposed to the theory? I feel like a side of the debate is being discarded in this case.

Deleted

#30New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 19:42:23
@jwasafrog Said
There is a scientific interest in and research on inteligent design/creationism though. Should
we ignore parts of the scientific world simply because it doesn't fit into our
worldview? Even if someone believes it is a load of crap, shouldn't students still be
exposed to the theory? I feel like a side of the debate is being discarded in this case.

To my knowledge there are no credible scientists working on Intelligent Design as a competing theory to evolution.

It is an immature theory with insufficient backing. When I see some credible names and evidence behind it, along with rigorous scientific method, then I will back it as scientific thinking. Until then, I will not.

Again, I point out that I am not against the teaching of various thinking. This isn't about my belief in Evolution over Intelligent Design. This about teaching science and that what you teach in science should be science. Teach ID and religion in theology.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs