no contact?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#1New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 03:48:13
Just wondering if anyone on here has gone a significant period of time with no contact with one of their parents for whatever reason, and it so have you tracked them down and made contact?

Was it awkward? A relief? Something that needed to be done?

I've just been thinking a lot lately. I haven't seen my Dad or heard from him in about 7 or 8 years. Partly by choice and partly because I have no choice. He's chosen to not make any effort by contacting myself or my brothers and I feel why should I want to see him if he doesn't seem interested in wanting to see me?

Recently my cousin from my Dads side found me on facebook and myspace. I haven't had any contact at all since the divorce from Dads side, just the decision that was made for us and to not cause arguments just went along with. Anyway I don't know why but I can't talk to my cousin. I've ignored them. Its not her fault, but in a way I feel if I talk to her and let her know how im going then Dad will find out someway and I feel he doesn't deserve the right to know what im doig with my life and how I am unless he asks me himself...

butchsmudge31 On April 14, 2015

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 03:50:03
I have not seen my dad in.... ever. :
It's true, I have never seen him.
treetopflyer On March 19, 2008

Deleted

Emerald City,
#3New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 03:52:20
Well, you have a decision to make and a hard one. He is your Dad, but has decided for whatever reason not to be a part of your life.

If you do talk to other members of you family the 411 will get back to him and maybe he'll find his way to you.

Play it out and see what happens, but be cool!
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#4New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:02:25
@treetopflyer Said
Well, you have a decision to make and a hard one. He is your Dad, but has decided for whatever reason not to be a part of your life.

If you do talk to other members of you family the 411 will get back to him and maybe he'll find his way to you.

Play it out and see what happens, but be cool!

Its not like he doesn't know where we are. We've lived in the same house all my life. I know things didn't go down too well between him and mum during the divorce and the custody disputes got pretty messy but i dont know, I don't even know what I'd say to him if I was face to face with him
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#5New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:03:20
@butchsmudge31 Said
I have not seen my dad in.... ever. :
It's true, I have never seen him.

Sorry to hear that Have you ever tried to find him?
butchsmudge31 On April 14, 2015

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:06:28
@garfunkel Said
Sorry to hear that Have you ever tried to find him?

If I know where to look.
Last time my mum heard from him was when he was in London, said he was moving away.
Didn't give an adress.
satin On February 03, 2008

Deleted

anywhere, Alabama
#7New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:08:55
@garfunkel Said
Just wondering if anyone on here has gone a significant period of time with no contact with one of their parents for whatever reason, and it so have you tracked them down and made contact?

I've just been thinking a lot lately. I haven't seen my Dad or heard from him in about 7 or 8 years. Partly by choice and partly because I have no choice. He's chosen to not make any effort by contacting myself or my brothers and I feel why should I want to see him if he doesn't seem interested in wanting to see me?

Recently my cousin from my Dads side found me on facebook and myspace. I haven't had any contact at all since the divorce from Dads side, just the decision that was made for us and to not cause arguments just went along with. Anyway I don't know why but I can't talk to my cousin. I've ignored them. Its not her fault, but in a way I feel if I talk to her and let her know how im going then Dad will find out someway and I feel he doesn't deserve the right to know what im doig with my life and how I am unless he asks me himself...

You're right. talking with your cousin will definitely leak things back to your dad, so if you are not ready, or uncomfortable with that, then you are probably doing the right thing in your current choices.
Good luck in whatever you choose
bellestrange On March 08, 2012
Coo Coo Kachoo

South Australia, Australia
#8New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:10:37
@garfunkel Said

Not long after my parents split, we moved interstate for about 3 years. The only contact I had with my father in that time was by occasionally calling him reverse charges (Mum said he wasn't paying a cent in child support, he can pay for the phone call) and these very few calls were marred by him abusing my mother via me ( I was about 11) for making him pay for the calls.

When we moved back however, he was all of a sudden interested in taking me out for weekends etc. But I must say that after all the time away and all the crap that I witnessed, I had gone from a right Daddy's girl to not trusting him one iota. I didn't know what to say and it was a bit awkward, I didn't know him the way I used to. And so it fizzled out a bit.

I guess what you have to do is decide whether you want him in your life now/and in the future. And I totally understand you not wanting to share your life with him via other family members. It is up to him to make contact, if he is aware that your cousin has attempted to talk to you.

In my opinion, it tells you a lot if someone (if this is what happened) finds out on the sly where you are/what you are doing and doesn't have the guts to approach you and ask if you feel comfortable catching up
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:12:49
@bellestrange Said
Not long after my parents split, we moved interstate for about 3 years. The only contact I had with my father in that time was by occasionally calling him reverse charges (Mum said he wasn't paying a cent in child support, he can pay for the phone call) and these very few calls were marred by him abusing my mother via me ( I was about 11) for making him pay for the calls.

When we moved back however, he was all of a sudden interested in taking me out for weekends etc. But I must say that after all the time away and all the crap that I witnessed, I had gone from a right Daddy's girl to not trusting him one iota. I didn't know what to say and it was a bit awkward, I didn't know him the way I used to. And so it fizzled out a bit.

I guess what you have to do is decide whether you want him in your life now/and in the future. And I totally understand you not wanting to share your life with him via other family members. It is up to him to make contact, if he is aware that your cousin has attempted to talk to you.

In my opinion, it tells you a lot if someone (if this is what happened) finds out on the sly where you are/what you are doing and doesn't have the guts to approach you and ask if you feel comfortable catching up

Thanks Belle
I really appreciate you sharing that
bellestrange On March 08, 2012
Coo Coo Kachoo

South Australia, Australia
#10New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:15:58
@garfunkel Said
Thanks Belle
I really appreciate you sharing that

No problem. Whatever decision you make is the right one ok. You have the upper hand always.
horny_lil_devil On March 21, 2013

Wollongong, Australia
#11New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:18:12
My dad hasn't spoken to me in 4 years. I was in hospital recently and I magically got a phone call from him. it was awkward and hard.
I don't think that if you didn't talk to him or his family it would make much of a difference I mean if they havn't wanted to know about you for so long whats changed now?
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#12New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 04:20:10
@horny_lil_devil Said
My dad hasn't spoken to me in 4 years. I was in hospital recently and I magically got a phone call from him. it was awkward and hard.
I don't think that if you didn't talk to him or his family it would make much of a difference I mean if they havn't wanted to know about you for so long whats changed now?

I guess its got something to do with me wanting to know he still acknowlegdes me or my brothers or at least thinks about us once in a while
gjc1960 On March 02, 2008

Southampton, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 10:24:43
I found out who my dad was in 2007. And im 54! Left my mum when she was 3 months pregnant. I never even thought about findind him (he's prob dead now) im alive enjoying my life why should i want to have tried to find him? Iv never been bitter about it just let it wash over me and got on with my life. If you aint meet them you aint missed them!
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 12:20:55
You've been in the same place, you're now 20, it's been too long to just say his anger towards your mother is what kept him away. Seems he has put that part of his life in the mental drawer marked 'history'.

If you want to contact him you can, but be absolutely sure you're ready to risk opening up old wounds.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well.
madi On March 31, 2010

, Australia
#15New Post! Jan 11, 2008 @ 12:59:28
My heart goes out to you.....it should be him chasing a chance to know u. U are more than he deserves.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs