Rants & Raves

new New Jersey law?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
backwardstaxi On February 16, 2011

, New Jersey
#1New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 21:58:42
There's a new law in Jersey that states that any person under 18 and with a provisional license must display a sticker on the front of their license plate. The sticker must be purchased by the driver themselves and it must be displayed at all times while the car is in use. I personally think that this law will cause many problems within teens and adults, and I also think it's a ridiculous rule. What do you think?
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:02:45
@backwardstaxi Said

There's a new law in Jersey that states that any person under 18 and with a provisional license must display a sticker on the front of their license plate. The sticker must be purchased by the driver themselves and it must be displayed at all times while the car is in use. I personally think that this law will cause many problems within teens and adults, and I also think it's a ridiculous rule. What do you think?

We have something similar here in the UK. Drivers on a provisional licence have to display 'L' plates .. to show other drivers that they are in the learning process.

When I see 'L' plates on the car in front I take into account the fact that they may drive slowly and make erratic moves from time to time.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:12:30
I don't see a problem if it's like the Learner plates we have over here. It just means that other drivers can know that you're still learning and so should be a little more lenient with you in terms of being aggressive.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#4New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:17:02
It's not bad and it would be a safer thing to do too.
Not that "aged licensees" are more mature and they drive safer but people with learner permit or just started are still with less experiences and this will help others avoid potential dangers for both parties.

Plus it's nothing to be embarrassed of. I've seen a guy who came to race track a year ago with student driver sign (as a joke though ). He was saying how all cars avoided him and less of tail gating or closer drivings
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:22:39
I don't understand why it's only for under 18's?

Like people have said, over here if you have a provisional licence you must have 'L' plates. You also have to have a qualified driver of so many years (I think it's 3) with you in the car - is it the same in America?

If your still learning, it makes sense to notify other drivers, that way they'll be more aware of you, and less aggressive.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#6New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:26:57
@ninozara Said

I don't understand why it's only for under 18's?

Like people have said, over here if you have a provisional licence you must have 'L' plates. You also have to have a qualified driver of so many years (I think it's 3) with you in the car - is it the same in America?

If your still learning, it makes sense to notify other drivers, that way they'll be more aware of you, and less aggressive.

In US, you have a special license if you are under 18 or 16. I forgot which one. I think 18. It has a note saying 18 in such and such date as well.

AND before that special first year license, there are learner permits and so on while you are at traffic school or have passed the written portion.

As for qualified drivers with you, there are exceptions for first years and most never have qualified drivers with them. That is because of a possibility and accepted law that if there is a written statement and permission by parents and such because being with the new drivers 24/7 isn't feasible example going to school and such, the requirement can be waived. So most have no qualified drivers beside even though they should at times.

, New Jersey
#7New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:30:32
Yeah but some of the people use their parent's car. Now their parents have to drive around with it. Also, isn't it more unsafe with predators and other people? Now it's a big sign saying, "Hey, I'm a girl under the age of 18!"
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#8New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:33:53
@backwardstaxi Said

Yeah but some of the people use their parent's car. Now their parents have to drive around with it. Also, isn't it more unsafe with predators and other people? Now it's a big sign saying, "Hey, I'm a girl under the age of 18!"

There are guys too!
There are predators for both genders!

"Now their parents have to drive around with it"
It is a must now? No exceptions with written notes?
Then it sounds more safer from predator perspective too, also on road (minus with the yippity yapping scaring the new driver type parents )

If you're 18 and own a car under your title, are you allowed to drive alone? Just making sure from what you said.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:35:01
My aunt had to use L plates last year, she's 45.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

#10New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:35:33
Oops I forgot!
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#11New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:37:24
you have it easy, over here you need L plates for when you're learning, and then even when you have your full license, you still need to display a R (restricted) for a year and you are also limited in speed to 45mph.

, New Jersey
#12New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:37:53
@Ko Said

There are guys too!
There are predators for both genders!

"Now their parents have to drive around with it"
It is a must now? No exceptions with written notes?
Then it sounds more safer from predator perspective too, also on road (minus with the yippity yapping scaring the new driver type parents )

If you're 18 and own a car under your title, are you allowed to drive alone? Just making sure from what you said.

If you're 18, it depends which license you have. If you have a provisional license you can drive alone and you're allowed to have as many family members as you want in the car, but only one friend. If you have a permit, of course you can't drive alone.

, New Jersey
#13New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:39:20
@SparklyKatie Said

My aunt had to use L plates last year, she's 45.

Hahaha I'd rock that if I was 45

, New Jersey
#14New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:40:20
@mark_is_god Said

you have it easy, over here you need L plates for when you're learning, and then even when you have your full license, you still need to display a R (restricted) for a year and you are also limited in speed to 45mph.

Okay, yeah.. compared to that, I do have it easy xD! That would drive me insane.. I wouldn't be able to stay at 45mph all the time
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Mar 27, 2010 @ 22:40:45
@Ko Said

In US, you have a special license if you are under 18 or 16. I forgot which one. I think 18. It has a note saying 18 in such and such date as well.

AND before that special first year license, there are learner permits and so on while you are at traffic school or have passed the written portion.

As for qualified drivers with you, there are exceptions for first years and most never have qualified drivers with them. That is because of a possibility and accepted law that if there is a written statement and permission by parents and such because being with the new drivers 24/7 isn't feasible example going to school and such, the requirement can be waived. So most have no qualified drivers beside even though they should at times.

So basically if parents say it's OK for their children to drive unsupervised it's alright?

Most people here learn with an Instructor, but some have parents who get them insured and take them out to practice also. Also, if you drive without someone who is qualified your insurance is void and you can be banned/fined/imprisoned.

I think, on average, it takes people a few months to pass their driving test, between 12 - 20 lessons, usually one a week. But no parent I know would let their child drive around unsupervised before they pass their test! Until then they can get the bus to school or walk

@backwardstaxi Said

If they're like the plates here, they'll be magnetic and easy to take off/put on.

Like I said I think it should be for everyone who is a 'Learner', and it could also be a male.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs