Politics

media influence in politics

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 06:56:25
Following the closing of the labour party conference yesterday, the sun overnight has printed a front page headline, saying they are backing the tories and that labour will as a result lose the election next year.

they have in two previous elections got their decision right, both with john major and blair in 1997, but does this necessarily mean they are right?

do you think the media is right to use its pages to promote a particular political party? do you think the media plays a valuable/invaluable part in establishing political support? or do you think they should simply report it as it is, and be impartial to the wole process-simply holding those in office to account for failings ect...?

personally i feel that the media have a scary grip on the system and that if they can alter the elections by the printed word, they are too powerful.
whisper On December 30, 2009

swansea, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:05:13
The Sun newspaper has tremendous sway on public opinion..however, in my view, the paper itself is also fully entitled to publish it's own opinion..I respect the public display of altered allegence.
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:14:17
I think newspapers are able to sway public opinion and have a lot of power. I personally don't buy a daily paper but check out the news on line or on TV

Deleted

#4New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:15:34
but surely if a tabloid newspaper can sway an election, it means that the newspaper is more in touch and is more in tune with public opinion, so does this mean that our politicians are ignorant to the public view, or just not interested in it?
whisper On December 30, 2009

swansea, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:17:45
I don't think the sun reflects the view of the british public, but, yes, I agree, they can sway opinion
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:25:25
@Hinckleylad Said

but surely if a tabloid newspaper can sway an election, it means that the newspaper is more in touch and is more in tune with public opinion, so does this mean that our politicians are ignorant to the public view, or just not interested in it?

I think most politicians are not in touch with the public and yes newspapers probably are more in tune with public opinion. There are lots of issues that the public feel strongly about and the newspapers seem to reflect this.

Deleted

#7New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:29:57
but then again the newspapers are driven by profit and sales.

i just think it is alarminfg how a media outlet can dictate an agenda, which they belive is the populist view, and then select a party to deliver.

so the tories are now expected to deliver on the views of the suns readership? so why bother having a manifesto or policies?

and if the tories win, fail and are ousted at the next election, will people shun and change their reading material in the same way as they switch voting patterns?

Deleted

#8New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 07:36:21
is anyone on these pages swayed by newspapers political stances, or are you capable of digesting real political matter, and making your own informed choices?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013