The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Relationships

is a monogamus relationship possible in this day & age?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
tiffycuppycake On May 22, 2015

, Georgia
#1New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:36:46
i want to know everyone's thoughts, is a monogamous relationship even possible in this day & age? i know i would like to think so...but going through the relationships i have & the ones i watch others go through...it doesn't look good
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:37:40
Yes they are

, Georgia
#3New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:40:33
explain why you believe that's true i'm not dissing what you're saying, i just want to know lol.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:41:40
A life-long monogamous relationship is more difficult than it used to be because marriages are no longer based as much around economic pragmatism and religious principles in the secular West. Short- and long-term monogamous relationships are certainly possible, though.
MagicBus On June 23, 2014

Boondocks USA,
#5New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:41:46
@tiffycuppycake Said

explain why you believe that's true i'm not dissing what you're saying, i just want to know lol.

dissing is a funny word . do people still say dissing ?

, Georgia
#6New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:43:32
@MagicBus Said

dissing is a funny word . do people still say dissing ?

apparently, cuz i just used it ^_^
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:44:01
@tiffycuppycake Said

Because I'm in one and I know neither of us would cheat.

, Georgia
#8New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:44:54
@buffalobill90 Said

A life-long monogamous relationship is more difficult than it used to be because marriages are no longer based as much around economic pragmatism and religious principles in the secular West. Short- and long-term monogamous relationships are certainly possible, though.

ah, so true!! nice answer

, Georgia
#9New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:46:04
@plebian_angel Said

Because I'm in one and I know neither of us would cheat.

well that's good to hear.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#10New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 16:47:07
I don't think that monogamous relationships are any more or less common now than ever. Maybe when there were less people monogamy was easier just because of a sheer lack of people. However, cheating, and outside the marriage/relationship acts were less talked about then recently and what I think is that infidelity is more publicized now than ever.

That being said, yes, I fully believe that a monogamous relationship is possible as I am in one, and it is working very well.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#11New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 17:00:06
I believe it is. If that is truly what both partners want, then for sure. However, in this day and age, people seem to give way to temptation way too much. They don't seem to cherish commitment; - that's not to say 'all' of course, but the majority I think, sadly.

But where ever there is will, there is hope; and I'm seeing a 'desire' more of lately, from ppl, at least online, for wanting love, to give love, and to be loved back...For something 'lasting'...I think it's a good sign!

Would be nice to see people get down to morals, and true caring again...in both their actions/conduct.

, Georgia
#12New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 17:07:18
@squirt_aka_casey Said

I don't think that monogamous relationships are any more or less common now than ever. Maybe when there were less people monogamy was easier just because of a sheer lack of people. However, cheating, and outside the marriage/relationship acts were less talked about then recently and what I think is that infidelity is more publicized now than ever.

That being said, yes, I fully believe that a monogamous relationship is possible as I am in one, and it is working very well.

yea, that is totally true...i guess just most of us, our brains have been programed a certain way to believe that back in the day actual "love" was easier to find & that men/women weren't as slutty, selfish & cruel...but the reality is that society has kinda been the same all along. it appears worse because we are coming into a world where most people are throwing religion out the window & other morals they've learned their whole life & are just determined to do what they are going to do. i guess i ask the question about monogamy because really...most people i come in contact w/ are just so damn selfish & lie about any little thing...it's maddening. it is refreshing to hear that there are people out there that are true to each other & over coming all of the obstacles & making it work
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#13New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 17:42:13
@tiffycuppycake Said

yea, that is totally true...i guess just most of us, our brains have been programed a certain way to believe that back in the day actual "love" was easier to find & that men/women weren't as slutty, selfish & cruel...but the reality is that society has kinda been the same all along. it appears worse because we are coming into a world where most people are throwing religion out the window & other morals they've learned their whole life & are just determined to do what they are going to do. i guess i ask the question about monogamy because really...most people i come in contact w/ are just so damn selfish & lie about any little thing...it's maddening. it is refreshing to hear that there are people out there that are true to each other & over coming all of the obstacles & making it work

I do think that people are extremely cruel anymore too. And so many people sit there and just hurt others to hurt them. It makes me sad.

Really it's a matter of maturity and intelligence
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#14New Post! Aug 29, 2010 @ 18:05:43
@tiffycuppycake Said

Im not sure there was much actual "love" in days gone past. Not that long ago women were not able to support themselves and treated like property, married off (usually arranged) by their parents to sometimes older men they hardly knew. They had no choice but to make it work. Divorce was almost impossible to get, not that the church wouldn't do it, because you could "buy" an annulment. But because society look down at those divorced as "damaged goods" and the woman had it even harder, as work was harder to find, and depending on how far back you go and what country you are talking about there were rules about property ownership and stuff. Things like adultery and illegitimate children were over looked and not talked about.

That's not to say there weren't people out there that stayed faithful and truly came to love their mates. I think there are those same type of people that are out there today. That once they make a commitment or promise they keep it. Just like there are those that make a commitment or promise and it is worthless.
I'm not so sure things like commitment and keeping promises which is what monogamy really is, has anything to do with the religion that a person chooses to or not to practice. A person's word and integrity and trust have nothing to do with religion.

I think its just as possible to find someone to be monogamous with now though.
missD On August 30, 2010

Davidsonville, Maryland
#15New Post! Aug 30, 2010 @ 03:30:39
I totally disagree, I have been married 2 times, and both times though I'm not proud of it, I've cheated. I was raised in a church going family, parents that were together for 45 years. But, I believe that if given the proper circumstances no matter how dedicated one is to there partner, being at the right time at the right place anyone would cheat if they knew they wouldn't get caught!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs