The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

if u get a pell grant and u dont get the money in time to go to school can u stil

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
darkangel28 On February 08, 2019
im a maplestoryadict

damn it started snowing again,
#1New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 03:28:28
i am trying to get into school and i am supposed to be going through voc rehab but they told me to get a pell grant and i was just wondering if i applied for one (cuz they said it would take 2 months to hear back from them to find out if u qualify for one) would i be able to use the money next semester or would i have to wait until next semester to apply for it.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 03:52:05
@darkangel28 Said

i am trying to get into school and i am supposed to be going through voc rehab but they told me to get a pell grant and i was just wondering if i applied for one (cuz they said it would take 2 months to hear back from them to find out if u qualify for one) would i be able to use the money next semester or would i have to wait until next semester to apply for it.

I think you passed the deadline, and will have to reapply for next year. February is the cutoff date, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong though, and it changes all the time. Best look it up.
im a maplestoryadict

#3New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 03:56:57
@Leon Said

I think you passed the deadline, and will have to reapply for next year. February is the cutoff date, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong though, and it changes all the time. Best look it up.

well the semester i am trying to go for is in august but if i miss it cuz i am dealing with all this stuff with voc rehab right now and they have test me and everything.
and so i might not make it til next semester which is in january.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 04:02:57
Yeah, I have no idea if there is a later cutoff date if you start in January instead of the fall. All I remember is that February was the deadline for starting the traditional school year start, which is the fall of course.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#5New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 04:11:24
My stupid phone can't copy & paste the page I wanted to show you, but if you do a simple Google search for Pell Grant, the FAFSA website gives you info on the deadlines and how much money you could possibly get.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 06:26:56
you have to be enrolled in order to actually get the pell grant.

It typically will not be awarded unless you are registered.
Once you are registered, you will get an award letter, which will show you how much you can get.

Every school processes stuff a little differently, but the best thing to do is call and ask to speak to an Adviser. They can answer the specifics in great detail, its their job to make sure students that ask understand. If its a large university, there might be specific Financial Aid advisers but smaller schools and branches may have general Advisers to the whole admissions process.
im a maplestoryadict

#7New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 06:35:08
@DiscordTiger Said

you have to be enrolled in order to actually get the pell grant.

It typically will not be awarded unless you are registered.
Once you are registered, you will get an award letter, which will show you how much you can get.

Every school processes stuff a little differently, but the best thing to do is call and ask to speak to an Adviser. They can answer the specifics in great detail, its their job to make sure students that ask understand. If its a large university, there might be specific Financial Aid advisers but smaller schools and branches may have general Advisers to the whole admissions process.

well i was gonna wait to register cuz i am going through voc rehab too and i wanted to find out if they were going to pay for the application fee cuz they charge 40.00 for an application but i have to get the money from voc rehab first.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#8New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 06:37:51
They will not process your paperwork until you are admitted.
Kinda of a catch-22.
im a maplestoryadict

#9New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 06:46:25
@DiscordTiger Said

They will not process your paperwork until you are admitted.
Kinda of a catch-22.

how am i supposed to register if i cant even afford to pay the application fee.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#10New Post! Jun 29, 2011 @ 06:52:32
Honestly, school is costly.

Some schools may have need based waivers or people that might help you (like voc rehab) that you can look into. Call and ask that adviser, they would know.

but at some point you will have to save for stuff, or take a loan out to pay it.
There is help out there, but it's not without sacrifice. It maybe free, but it's not going to be without work.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#11New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 03:14:17
You can apply later in the year. A deadline of February was likely the schools deadline and not the FAFSA deadline, although sooner is generally better. You will probably have to come up with the $40 and may even have to make arrangements with your school, but then when the fafsa goes through it would pay the remaineder and you would get a refund of any amount above what you owe, so you would get back what you had invested and probably more than that. I don't know how you are going to pay the $40 if you don't have it. FAFSA will process your paperwork, but I am not sure if voc rehab will do their part, which is who actually decides how much you get. Have you talked with a financial aid counselor at voc rehab? They may allow these fees to wait for a decision on the pell.
im a maplestoryadict

#12New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 03:31:54
@alk1975 Said

You can apply later in the year. A deadline of February was likely the schools deadline and not the FAFSA deadline, although sooner is generally better. You will probably have to come up with the $40 and may even have to make arrangements with your school, but then when the fafsa goes through it would pay the remaineder and you would get a refund of any amount above what you owe, so you would get back what you had invested and probably more than that. I don't know how you are going to pay the $40 if you don't have it. FAFSA will process your paperwork, but I am not sure if voc rehab will do their part, which is who actually decides how much you get. Have you talked with a financial aid counselor at voc rehab? They may allow these fees to wait for a decision on the pell.

not yet i am supposed to talk to them on friday.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#13New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 03:49:56
@darkangel28 Said

not yet i am supposed to talk to them on friday.

They will have more specific answers for you. Pells are federal money, but hte schools make the decisions.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#14New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 16:38:46
@DiscordTiger Said

Honestly, school is costly.

Some schools may have need based waivers or people that might help you (like voc rehab) that you can look into. Call and ask that adviser, they would know.

but at some point you will have to save for stuff, or take a loan out to pay it.
There is help out there, but it's not without sacrifice. It maybe free, but it's not going to be without work.

I have to agree. At our school we charge a $50 application fee. We are a private college, so it costs a little bit more than the state colleges. But any college you go to, you're not going to get a free ride through it...unless maybe if you're military, in which case they pay for it or if you're rich or win the lottery. You are going to need to get scholarships, grants, and most likely take out a loan or two if you can't afford it.

I currently have 2 student loans I'm paying on. I've paid off one already though. I was only able to pay for the 1st quarter of my schooling and the rest was paid for by loans.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#15New Post! Jun 30, 2011 @ 17:06:40
@drummerwannabe Said

I have to agree. At our school we charge a $50 application fee. We are a private college, so it costs a little bit more than the state colleges. But any college you go to, you're not going to get a free ride through it...unless maybe if you're military, in which case they pay for it or if you're rich or win the lottery. You are going to need to get scholarships, grants, and most likely take out a loan or two if you can't afford it.

I currently have 2 student loans I'm paying on. I've paid off one already though. I was only able to pay for the 1st quarter of my schooling and the rest was paid for by loans.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have a scholarship for tuition and pell grant to cover some of the dorm costs, but I pretty much had to work my through. I got through without an actual school loan, but put some living expenses on a couple of credit cards. Probably not so smart in the long run as I'm sure I paid way more in interest and fees that I would of with school loan, but oh well, stupid decisions of youth we must live with.

There was a continual struggle to buy books, and damn they have gotten really expensive now and supplies such as paper, calculators
and what ever random crap professors decide we need. There are ways to get stuff secondhand or cheaper but it's still a cost. Or what I mostly remember was having to buy things with my money, then get reimbursed when financial aide went through, or try to bluff the first week or two without the book until I got a paycheck. I'm a big fan of libraries with the texts on reserve.

College is great and worth it and all, but it is work.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs