The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

i think i'll give up my high-skill level job to kiss a** and make the same money.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#1New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:30:44
I've traveled around this country working in several jobs..and it's the strangest thing, in every career i've ever had, and i've had plenty..

there's always this person that kisses up to the boss, foreman, lead tech, CEO, you name it..who hardly does any work, and what's worse, they are the ones telling their co-workers - what to do!! Management calls them co-ordinators, or "directing traffic"..they pick them out from amongst us, because they "talk the talk"..

Well you know what i've learned as a manager? folks will respect you more, or will work even harder if they know you're right there in the trenches with them, versus sitting up there on the throne waving the scepter..

I think my parents got it wrong when they said: "The harder you work, the further you'll go in life"..it's true in some cases..and a rare sight in a management position..

but, nowadays, i'm beginning to believe the more a** kissing you do, the further you'll get in life..the problem is..i'm not very good at it..but i'm very good at my job..
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#2New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:34:09
I wouldnt' say i've had to kiss ass, but i have had to be nicer to incompetent a-holes that are higher ranking then myself to get the necessary recommendations to get promoted.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#3New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:38:43
@aceuvclubs Said

I wouldnt' say i've had to kiss ass, but i have had to be nicer to incompetent a-holes that are higher ranking then myself to get the necessary recommendations to get promoted.

when you really wanted to be b**** slapping them.

must have been hard though..
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#4New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:39:04
Rarely do i laugh out loud at just the title of a post. It's funny but true.

Hang in there. The tables are going to turn!!!! honest!!!

Actually, I've found that to be sort of true. I've always been sort of a rebel non-ass-kisser. And I'm a bona-fide loser as a result... living in my parents basement....

Ok, that's a lie.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#5New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 04:44:52
means to an end

at some point in your career, you'll have to swallow your pride and do some minor ass-kissing
cherigrover On July 14, 2009

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 17, 2008 @ 13:46:59
the sad thing its true - there is always one who takes ass-kissing to another level of cringe-worthiness hey ho. i just choose not to change my ethics to try my best to do my job and get as far as i can without being a cretin
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 07:46:39
@ultranewbie Said

I've traveled around this country working in several jobs..and it's the strangest thing, in every career i've ever had, and i've had plenty..

there's always this person that kisses up to the boss, foreman, lead tech, CEO, you name it..who hardly does any work, and what's worse, they are the ones telling their co-workers - what to do!! Management calls them co-ordinators, or "directing traffic"..they pick them out from amongst us, because they "talk the talk"..

Well you know what i've learned as a manager? folks will respect you more, or will work even harder if they know you're right there in the trenches with them, versus sitting up there on the throne waving the scepter..

I think my parents got it wrong when they said: "The harder you work, the further you'll go in life"..it's true in some cases..and a rare sight in a management position..

but, nowadays, i'm beginning to believe the more a** kissing you do, the further you'll get in life..the problem is..i'm not very good at it..but i'm very good at my job..

I totally understand where you are coming from - it feels the same where I work. In any company with more than a handful of employees vying for positions, politics aka kissing arse, is pretty much the only way to get ahead.
When top management recruit managers where I work, they look for ability, but don't look for ability to lead a team or people skills in my experience. I feel they just assume that one will translate to another - and of course, they believe what they are told in the interview.
It is amazing the trouble, loss of productivity, sick days/absenteeism and stress that one bad manager can cause. Big companies just don't seem to get it- until every single person who worked for that manager has resigned, and the manager has been promoted up and on to other things. Ah yes, big business.
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#8New Post! Nov 02, 2008 @ 04:12:23
so, it's not just an american thing..it's all over..

When i would be sent in to manage a crew in radiology, their whole attitude would be changed, usually at the end of the shift...Why, i was always working with them side-by-side, plus, i stuck up for my crew when there was a complaint, or someone would basically screw up..you pick up the slack, and correct them later..this brought up morale on the "working end"..but was frowned upon by "administration"..too much time was spend "working vs. doing administrative "duties"..

I think we could totally change the whole complexion and morale of a team by hiring leaders - not managers..

managers "do things right"
leaders "do the right thing"..
Mort On July 20, 2010

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 06, 2008 @ 13:14:23
The whole sucking up to get ahead thing is a game I don't really like, but then I'm not a big one for *any* aspect of office politics, usually seems to be more trouble than it's worth IMO.
I'm fortunate to work in an organisation that's small enough that promotions still seem to be handled on merit rather than how much one sucks up to the bosses.
*crosses fingers and hopes it remains that way*
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#10New Post! Nov 06, 2008 @ 13:21:54
Even when you enjoy your career, there are times when it actually becomes work.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs