Art & Literature

he Secular Bible: Why Nonbelievers Must Take Religion Seriously

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 17:58:27
I'm thinking about buying it as it's had great reviews from what I've seen.

Has anyone read it?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 18:05:48
No, but, judging from the title and summary, it looks like one with very good points for both sides.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 08, 2011 @ 05:47:43
Hmmm... It depends what the author means by "Take Religion Seriously". If he means that the objective of the work is to ram religious belief, as it currently stands, down the readers throat, then this book is a non-starter from page one.

If, however, it is intended to put religious belief and practice into the 21st Century and make a case for relevance in the modern world, then it would certainly be worth reading.

All too often, religion is derided because it is anachronistic..... it belongs to an age when people believed in demonic possession because they didn't know what epilepsy, or schizophrenia was.... or that the earth was flat because nobody had circumnavigated the globe yet.... Current religious belief is a doctrine of ignorance and superstition.

If the author can give convince non-believers that, not only does God exist, but that he / she is relevant today and spirtual belief can modernise, then this work might just have an effect.

The more difficult task would be to convince current believers that God actually moves with the times..!! Hardcore conservatives, who like to believe in a Bronze Age religion and want things to stay exactly as they are would fear this work.... would probably call it Heresy.

A church that moves with the times..?? Preposterous..!! The next thing you know, you'll be telling us to stop stoning homosexuals..!! Heresy...!! Burn the witch...!!

In my opinion, in order to take religion seriously, I must first be convinced that God is moving with the times.... God is a developing deity... one who understands that his / her people need to grow and develop, not be held back in the Dark Ages. If that could be done, then a lot of non-believers might just have a re-think.

The really hard part will be to convince those who already believe.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs