The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

guns, knives, or cars, the most deadly weapon?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:02:08
everybody gets worked up about gun and knife crime, and quite rightly so, but what about the number of fatalities caused by reckless driving?
i imagine that in one year the number of deaths caused by cars in the UK way exceeds the number of deaths caused by guns or knives.
i live next to a dual carriageway and in the past 10 years have witnessed 3 fatal accidents and heard of 5 more occuring in different parts of the same dual carriageway.
and if anyone saw the emergency services cutting bodies out of cars or heard the sounds that the dying make when trapped in the wreckage of a car, they would surely think twice about exceeding the speed limit.
at 25/30 miles an hour a person stands a 50/50 chance of surviving a car crash at 40 miles an hour there is only the slimmest chance of survival.
so before you get before the wheel remember that you are handling a lethal weapon, especially now in the lead up to xmas!

semi_precious_stone On June 23, 2019

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:04:20
The most lethal weapon is people!
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:06:17
I fact i am pretty sure the deaths due to car accidents are higher than guns and knives, but the difference is, hardly anyone goes out in a car with any kind of intent to harm others, it is difficult to make that argument for guns and knives

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:08:39
@monkeymadness Said
I fact i am pretty sure the deaths due to car accidents are higher than guns and knives, but the difference is, hardly anyone goes out in a car with any kind of intent to harm others, it is difficult to make that argument for guns and knives

A drunk driver may not 'intend' to hurt someone, but their irresponsibility and thoughtlessness is likely to do so!
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:10:28
there are also a hell of a lot more cars then guns

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:12:58
@angelcake Said
there are also a hell of a lot more cars then guns

We hope

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:14:56
They should raise the age of driving. I remember when I turned 17, I looked at the people in my class and I though "f***ing hell, these immature f***ers are allowed to f***ing drive!?" (I swear alot in my thoughts).

I think maybe 20 or 21 would be a better age for people being allowed to drive, as peoples depth vision would be better. I also think you should have to have a provisional lisence for a year before you can get your full lisence.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:22:10
To be fair guns, knives and cars are objects. It is certain people who are in control of these objects that are the dangerous ones.
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#9New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 19:27:22
In America, automobile accidents have killed more people than all of our wars combined.

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 20:18:08
you may argue that drivers are not as dangerous as those possessing knives or guns because they do not intend to kill or harm anyone, but if a person gets behind the wheel of a car after being disqualified for reckless driving, without insurance, and intending to drive recklessly again, then they are as dangerous as someone possessing a knife or gun. and there are an awful lot of these type of drivers, just look in your local paper. also, late at night i can hear joy riders tearing up and down the dual carriageway racing each other, their intention may not be to kill or harm anyone, but there is certainly a higher likelihood of that happening due to their irresponsibility than a hoodie simply carrying a weapon that might never be used.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#11New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 20:19:48
People are the most dangerous weapon
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 20:23:44
I've said time and time again that they should seriously ratchet up enforcement of existing traffic laws as well as dramatically increase punishments for moving violations.

Far, far too many people are killed each year in automobile accidents. Cars are deadly and the penalties for operating one in an unsafe manner should be extreme.

Canada has the right idea with a new law that includes a mandatory $2000 minimum fine, seven day vehicle impounding, and seven day license suspension if caught doing about 32 mph above the speed limit.

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 20:33:44
way to go canada!
in the UK most drivers just get a relatively small fine and a slap on the wrist, and can walk away from a serious driving offence without even getting a prison sentence.
it's a joke and an insult to the families of those killed or injured by a driver's recklessness.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#14New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 20:37:33
I think that if people were to walk around with guns and knives in public on a daily basis, there would probably be an increase in deaths caused by these objects.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 21:50:42
@jmo Said
They should raise the age of driving. I remember when I turned 17, I looked at the people in my class and I though "f***ing hell, these immature f***ers are allowed to f***ing drive!?" (I swear alot in my thoughts).

I think maybe 20 or 21 would be a better age for people being allowed to drive, as peoples depth vision would be better. I also think you should have to have a provisional lisence for a year before you can get your full lisence.

no way!! absolutely not! i'd die without my car! it's given me such freedom and independance and a lot of 17 year olds are old enough to handle the responsibility.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs