Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

does anyone think of them

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
cordialcarol On November 25, 2008

#1New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:40:47
my friend has been visiting her aunt in a nursing home. she is there recovering from a broken hip. it makes me sad to notice how many people are thre and never get any visitors. there is a old man who is on the end corner always in front of his window staring out. i asked about him. they told me he never gets any visitors. this has made me feel very bad espacilly with holidays coming up soon. i spoke to my friend and she has told me we could make a visit to some of the others there too when we stop to see her aunt. that will make me feel better and make those people feel good too but i wonder where their family is. people shouldn't just be forgotten because they get old.
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:47:51
no they shouldnt but they do,in the nursing home my mum in law was in,they had a catholic visitor go and see her every sunday,although mum was very senile and on the day she passed she come to the room and quickly arranged for a priest to do the last rites,sometimes the only visitors they get are people belonging to their own faith and even very senile people have moments of clarity and it would be nice for them if they knew so and so come to see them. x
KZ_page On December 01, 2008

Deleted

lakeville,
#3New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:53:59
It's sad. to see them alone.and no one visiting....
Trixi78 On January 11, 2012

Hamilton, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:56:14
You know this is something that I have never thought of but something that I would hate to be myself alone with no one!!!!!

Makes me do a double think, and I am going to try and contact one of the local homes and ask about how I can help

Thanks
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#5New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 22:58:01
I can empathize with your hurt and anger.. I used to work in Nursing Homes as a Health Care Aide... Many residents didn't have family or some that did never came around..

So at I always chose the 7 day Christmas shift instead of New Years one because I would get the other Aides and some people we knew make a huge Christmas Party for the ones left behind.. Started at 7:pm on Dec.24th till 1:00am.. With piano playing, food, singing, and exchanging gifts etc... They were tired by the time it was over mind you..

One by one we brought them to their rooms and wished them a Merry Christmas, kiss on the cheek and they'd fall right to sleep making the day shift quite easy because the residents would all sleep in because they were exhausted.. But the smiles and happy tears were well worth the effort.... LOVED IT!!!!!
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 23:01:54
i too have worked xmas shifts but with adults with severe learning disabilities and just taking a little more time and organisation is worth it and at that time i had 2 pre-school boys at home x
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 23:15:50
i used to work in a nursing home and think the same thing but now i know differently. they dont deserve visitors just because they are old. you have top stop and think about what kind of people they were when they were younger. picture this scenario. a man who has been a bastard to his wife and kids, drank, hit them, gambled. why should they take time out to spend time with him cos he is old and in a home? resepct is earnt. they might look sweet little old people but what were they like really?
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 21, 2008 @ 23:18:15
@trillian Said

i used to work in a nursing home and think the same thing but now i know differently. they dont deserve visitors just because they are old. you have top stop and think about what kind of people they were when they were younger. picture this scenario. a man who has been a bastard to his wife and kids, drank, hit them, gambled. why should they take time out to spend time with him cos he is old and in a home? resepct is earnt. they might look sweet little old people but what were they like really?

hitler would be old now if he didn't top himself when he was middle aged!
lets_see On May 17, 2009

Deleted

Alabama,
#9New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 00:13:54
I volunteered in nursing homes for several yers when I was younger. I would visit them, take them presents, sing to them, read to them, just about anything they wanted. id always leave a little depressed. the storied they told me were always amazing, but I was so upset their families didn't care enough to visit. it happens all the time. most people put family members in home because the DON'T WANT TO take care of them. they raised us and took careof use for many years, its the least they deserve.
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#11New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 00:19:43
@lets_see Said

I volunteered in nursing homes for several yers when I was younger. I would visit them, take them presents, sing to them, read to them, just about anything they wanted. id always leave a little depressed. the storied they told me were always amazing, but I was so upset their families didn't care enough to visit. it happens all the time. most people put family members in home because the DON'T WANT TO take care of them. they raised us and took careof use for many years, its the least they deserve.

Were you sexually, physically, mentally, psychologically, emotionally, abused by your parent/parents???? Did either of your parents do that to your child their grandchild??? Before you say it's our duty,, think out of the box then tell me you would let your parent/parents near you or your child if they have or are doing these things.......
cordialcarol On November 25, 2008

#12New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 00:23:58
i never thought about some of those things being mentioned. i only seen people who looked sad and lonly. i figured in most cases they are just people left behind but i see this in other ways too and i guess there really is more than one way to feel about it.
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#13New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 00:30:20
@cordialcarol Said

i never thought about some of those things being mentioned. i only seen people who looked sad and lonly. i figured in most cases they are just people left behind but i see this in other ways too and i guess there really is more than one way to feel about it.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself but I'm not.. Not all elderly people deserve to be left alone by their children and left to die, those I empathize with..

But there are some that really are only getting what was coming to them... And are extremely violent and rude beyond handling.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#15New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 00:48:59
@cordialcarol Said

my friend has been visiting her aunt in a nursing home. she is there recovering from a broken hip. it makes me sad to notice how many people are thre and never get any visitors. there is a old man who is on the end corner always in front of his window staring out. i asked about him. they told me he never gets any visitors. this has made me feel very bad espacilly with holidays coming up soon. i spoke to my friend and she has told me we could make a visit to some of the others there too when we stop to see her aunt. that will make me feel better and make those people feel good too but i wonder where their family is. people shouldn't just be forgotten because they get old.

even sadder than that... when our kid was born we spent a month with him at childrens hospital... there were 3 other babies there that had regular visitors... and at least 20 who's parents we never saw at all... these babies formed stronger bonds with the nurses there than their own parents...

it sucks... nursing homes and hospitals are crappy places to be, but youd think ur own family would be worth it, wouldnt you?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs