Relationships

do you think our parents relationships effect our own relationships

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#1New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:03:17
Do you think if your mum only dates a*****es will you begin to do the same or begin to hate men??

do you think if your parents had/have an abusive relationship you will end up in one?

or if you have the best mum/dad in the world you will find it harder to find a good partner as you will compare every person you date to them and will never find anyone as good as them?

or do you think that we all make our own decisions and nothing that has happened with our parents should effect us in later years??
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:13:23
I believe they do in some way affect us- even if its just to say i dont want to be anything like them or to wait to find the perfect person as they have done. I admit that my dad is the best one out there so yes I will and do compare men to him- if they cant match up to half the man my dad is, then they are jut not worth it. They have to impress my dad for me to bother with them long term- if he dislikes them immensely with good reason then I would be wary as to what is is about them I was missing. Luckily he likes this one so I'm happy... just the mother to meet still

We all can learn form the mistakes of others as well as our own in relationships. Although it hurt at the time, I can now use the experiences I went through with my ex to really recognise all massive positives about my guy and see him for what he is- a lovely man who is worth my time

derry, Ireland
#3New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:20:29
@Sparklegirl Said

I believe they do in some way affect us- even if its just to say i dont want to be anything like them or to wait to find the perfect person as they have done. I admit that my dad is the best one out there so yes I will and do compare men to him- if they cant match up to half the man my dad is, then they are jut not worth it. They have to impress my dad for me to bother with them long term- if he dislikes them immensely with good reason then I would be wary as to what is is about them I was missing. Luckily he likes this one so I'm happy... just the mother to meet still

We all can learn form the mistakes of others as well as our own in relationships. Although it hurt at the time, I can now use the experiences I went through with my ex to really recognise all massive positives about my guy and see him for what he is- a lovely man who is worth my time

im the same as you i have the most amazing dad in the world and it does affect me when chosen partners i want to find someone as good as him and be as happy in 25 years as my mum and dad ar now.

i just wanted to see how many people ar influenced by there parents when it comes to relationships.

as iv met a couple of girls like my who find it hard finding someone as good as there dad.
MoshaFreak On May 02, 2016

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:24:57
of course they do...

example, if you see your parents have a bad devorce or somthing, you less likley to want to marry out of fear of this.

theres plenty of them, you just have to think about it

derry, Ireland
#5New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:26:54
@MoshaFreak Said

of course they do...

example, if you see your parents have a bad devorce or somthing, you less likley to want to marry out of fear of this.

theres plenty of them, you just have to think about it

i completely get that but there's alot of people out there that would say it shouldn't affect you
MoshaFreak On May 02, 2016

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:33:48
@chef_mia Said

i completely get that but there's alot of people out there that would say it shouldn't affect you

SHOULDNT and DOES are too completely different things
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:36:01
@chef_mia Said

im the same as you i have the most amazing dad in the world and it does affect me when chosen partners i want to find someone as good as him and be as happy in 25 years as my mum and dad ar now.

i just wanted to see how many people ar influenced by there parents when it comes to relationships.

as iv met a couple of girls like my who find it hard finding someone as good as there dad.

Definitely agree- mine have been married 48 years so are good role models to look to. Im sure my guy will be like my dad- if not, my dad will hunt him down he knows that too!

derry, Ireland
#8New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 11:45:23
@Sparklegirl Said

Definitely agree- mine have been married 48 years so are good role models to look to. Im sure my guy will be like my dad- if not, my dad will hunt him down he knows that too!

my dads the same when my man came over to meet them my dad was cleaning his shot gun at the time and told him if he ever hurt his baby girl he would blow his brains out lol to say he was a little scared would be an understatement
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 12:22:50
I've only known my mom to be single. I think that as I got older, that led me to know I do not need a man so I don't have to compromise on the man I want. I would rather be single, than unhappy. Make me extremely picky, but whatever. I just smile at my happiness when people b**** about their partner.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#10New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 14:13:27
Absolutely, even if we can't predict what conditions will effect us in what ways.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#11New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 14:16:51
@chef_mia Said

Do you think if your mum only dates a*****es will you begin to do the same or begin to hate men??

do you think if your parents had/have an abusive relationship you will end up in one?

or if you have the best mum/dad in the world you will find it harder to find a good partner as you will compare every person you date to them and will never find anyone as good as them?

or do you think that we all make our own decisions and nothing that has happened with our parents should effect us in later years??

We learn how to behave by observation of parental figures. There are at least two ways that we learn; one way is when we are told how to behave by our nurturers (do as I say) and the other way is observation of our nurturers (do as I do). There are, of course, other factors that influence our behavior patterns, however parental influences are major influences in our lives and we carry them with us as automatic responses.

What do you think?
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#12New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 14:41:22
Of course. My parents had a s*** relationship and I try super hard to make sure I don't fall into the cycle of abuse and unhappiness.
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#13New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 15:06:10
my mom and dad, where together over 40 years, they was mad buggers always bickering, bit fiery, i had a really good relationship for 22 years, didnt really argue, it was calm, we was best mates, we could talk about anything to eachother, so i dont think it does affect your relationship, x
woodss On February 26, 2024

#14New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 15:49:32
My parents were married in 1974, they might have had their differences of opinion, in 2014 they will be celebrating 40 years together and hopefully they will celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary.

I wouldnt call their relationship s***, but they love each other and might have have a difference of opinion about the rubbish at the back but they are strong.

They have been together for 37 years, and I dont think it will affect my future relationship with chicks.

But my grandmother of my mothers side shes a old nasty old witch.
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 28, 2011 @ 16:39:41
My brother and sister-in-law had occasional issues like most married couples but violence and abuse was NEVER part of it! their daughter however has had more 'relationships' that hot dinners and pretty much all of them have been abusive in one way or another. But then again, she seems to thrive on the drama and being the victim.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs