AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#46New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 00:39:28
@vizzy Said
Really! Take out the fact that it's talking about dragons..ok lizards...no one else thinks this sounds provocative?

Maybe it's my beer talking.

Here, have another.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#47New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 00:45:30
@mark_is_god Said
it does sorta.

but anyhow i know I'll be walking around asking if anyone wants to have coitus with me.

I'm bent. What can I say?
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#48New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 00:46:28
@jonnythan Said
Here, have another.

Sadly, I don't need more than 1 or 2. I am a CHEAP date!
impfina On November 16, 2010

Winter Haven, Florida
#49New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 14:54:22
i wish they exsisted today. i want one of those tiny dragons that always stay small, and it has to change colors, and blow lil puffs of smoke, and speak to me thru telepathy......
oh..other people are reading this...heh...
impfina On November 16, 2010

Winter Haven, Florida
#50New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 14:55:48
@goblinthegoblin Said

nothing on this earth breathes fire.

...thats not what i saw at the circus
moktah On June 14, 2008

Rosebud West, Australia
#51New Post! Apr 26, 2008 @ 10:57:22
I think that if dragons had existed we would have found some fossils by now. The myths of dragons were probably a result of ancient civilisations unearthing the fossils of pterodactyl and other large flying dinosaurs and forming their own conclusions about what such creatures were, due to their probably very limited and probably non-existent knowledge of dinosaurs and evolution.
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#52New Post! Apr 26, 2008 @ 15:56:30
I don't see why there couldn't have been animals back then that aren't here now. 99% of all species that existed are now extinct. There is no way to excavate all of the earth to find their bones (if they left them).
Human mythology and history gets distorted with each telling. Oral traditions that were transcribed later can't be held as complete truths, but they most likely started with a grain of truth.

I wouldn't necessarily say that there were dragons as depicted by ancient cultures, however I don't find it out of the scope of believability that there were massive animals, possibly even lizards...we still see remnants of the age of dinosaurs, so why couldn't they have seen something similar?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#53New Post! Apr 27, 2008 @ 01:58:01
Humans haven't been around very long.

If there were ever dragons, we'd know.
moktah On June 14, 2008

Rosebud West, Australia
#54New Post! Apr 27, 2008 @ 09:16:59
I agree with you jonnythan. If dragons had ever existed we would have found fossils by now, espcially since they would have existed alongside humans, hence after the last ice age, if they had ever existed.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Apr 27, 2008 @ 09:21:08
I get the feeling that one day back in early history a guy went wandering off and perhaps ate some mushrooms he shouldnt have. After three days of running around the woods naked he ran back to his village and told everyone about this amazing dragon who breathed fire and how he managed to slay the beast and then was regarded a hero - he pulled a homer.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#56New Post! Apr 27, 2008 @ 18:39:01
well if you dig into many of the roots of dragons. oriental I guess. they weren't described as giant serpents or winged beasts that we know of now. according to a university professor back in my religion class he showed us an ancient Chinese text describing a dragon. which was the size of a regular lizard and as large as any monitor lizard.
I will google this. I'm sure if anyone does they will most likely find something to those effects.
I don't know much about the European Dragons though. maybe the guy in Europe was on Mushrooms and thought he saw something that wasn't there.
kidplaya On August 11, 2008

Cincinnati, Ohio
#57New Post! May 04, 2008 @ 14:14:26
i do beleive dragons existed at one point. i beleive that they once lived all around the earth.....and humans have found their skeletons all around. i beleive their skeletons are what we consider to be dinosaurs and they once roamed the earth.
Narnar On December 28, 2010

At home, United Kingdom
#58New Post! May 04, 2008 @ 14:23:26
I believe anythings possible.
So its fun to believe that dragons existed, but also fun as a myth.
I'm gonna say there was such thing a flying/gliding giant lizard soaring the skies but it probably didnt breathe fire.
emrys On September 06, 2008

Orlando, Florida
#59New Post! May 11, 2008 @ 09:24:03
@jonnythan Said
No.

Chinese dragons look nothing like European dragons.

They're entirely mythical. If dragons existed in the past millenia or two, which is when they were drawn, it'd probably be a safe bet that we'd have a dragon scale or bone or two laying around somewhere.

It's not like the ancient Chinese people would have known about prehistoric dragons because of their excellent paleontology skills

First off the only thing different about just about any depiction of a dragon is the style in which they are drawn. Though chinese dragons differ in appearance from european dragons they all have four legs, they all have scales, both types have dragons with or without horns, both with and without wings. There are many of the same parts they just look different.

As to weather or not they acctually exist I saw a documentary on bigfoot where the argument was there would eventually be some remains if there acctually was a bigfoot. So they did and experiment and put a dear out on the ground in the middle of the woods. The "expert" they hired said the remains would probably be there for a month or so and they put up a time lapse camera preparing for that. Within two days the carcass had been eaten by bugs and animals and even the bones had been dragged off until there was no sign of the thing at all. So who knows if they really existed but the fact that there have been flying reptiles we are aware of in our history as well as very large ones I wouldnt say its impossible.

@jonnythan Said
There are no fire-breathing insects, either.

I dont know how many spieces there are but I know there is a beatle that shoots fire out of the back of its abdomen as a defense mechanism. It somehow mixes two chemicals and creates a tiny fireball. Its pretty cool.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#60New Post! May 11, 2008 @ 18:04:49
@emrys Said
I dont know how many spieces there are but I know there is a beatle that shoots fire out of the back of its abdomen as a defense mechanism. It somehow mixes two chemicals and creates a tiny fireball. Its pretty cool.

you're half right.
the Bombardier beetle stores two chemicals (hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide) and when threatened the beetle mixes these chemicals along with a catalyst, to produce a very hot liquid, which is squirted out the back of the beetle.

beetle

but theres no fire involved.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs