Forums: Sports:
2012 Olympics

disqualified

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 06, 2012 @ 09:40:15
canadian horse rider tiffany foster has been disqualified because her horse has a small cut above the hoof .... it is thought that such a cut causes tenderness in the limb and tends to make the animal jump with more care which would make a clear round possible.... foster is distraught and team captain eric lamaze has called the decision 'a complete miscarriage of justice!' and goes on to say ...' i am ashamed of our sport today !' ... well,i personally am proud of a sport that puts the welfare of an animal before a riders desperate need to wear a bit of metal around her neck ... it's refreshing to see an animal welfare rule being vigorously upheld ... horse riding governing bodies everywhere should please take note
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Aug 06, 2012 @ 09:45:05
I agree with you. While it's terrible for the rider, it's the right thing to do for the horse. And as it seems that it gives the rider an advantage, it's for the best that they're disqualified.

While I'm absolutely certain that Tiffany did not cut her horse, I'm also absolutely certain that there would be countries that would have no qualms about doing so, just to win "gold".

london, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 06, 2012 @ 10:13:51
@boxerdc Said

I agree with you. While it's terrible for the rider, it's the right thing to do for the horse. And as it seems that it gives the rider an advantage, it's for the best that they're disqualified.

While I'm absolutely certain that Tiffany did not cut her horse, I'm also absolutely certain that there would be countries that would have no qualms about doing so, just to win "gold".

yep .... well summed up .
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#4New Post! Aug 06, 2012 @ 15:23:15
It's a tricky one for me. No one like's animals mistreated but at the same time I don't think animals are as uncomftable as some people claim. But at least with strict rules in place you can ensure it doesn't happen.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 10, 2012 @ 07:08:42
@last_wave_of_summer Said

It's a tricky one for me. No one like's animals mistreated but at the same time I don't think animals are as uncomftable as some people claim. But at least with strict rules in place you can ensure it doesn't happen.

I would be extremely surprised if the rider had deliberately done such a thing. The question of care is an altogether different matter.

She was responsible for the animal's welfare and might have taken the time to check that the horse was medically sound before riding it in competition. If she doesn't do it herself, then the Canadian team should have a vet present whose job it is to find these things

Whilst I would not go so far as to accuse her of cheating, I think there may be grounds for negligence.

london, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 10, 2012 @ 15:25:48
@Jennifer1984 Said

I would be extremely surprised if the rider had deliberately done such a thing. The question of care is an altogether different matter.

She was responsible for the animal's welfare and might have taken the time to check that the horse was medically sound before riding it in competition. If she doesn't do it herself, then the Canadian team should have a vet present whose job it is to find these things

Whilst I would not go so far as to accuse her of cheating, I think there may be grounds for negligence.

the view of the officials is that they don't believe the rider did it to the horse ...however , it has been done to other horses in the past by other riders ... so , i believe it's a case of the official body strictly applying the rules because it concerns the welfare of an animal .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs