The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

can a woman/man be "manipulated" into being gay?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#31New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:00:44
For those that argue "you're either gay or you're not."

Doesn't the concept of bi-sexuality refute that? You're attracted to both, you're neither nor.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#32New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:10:59
@boobagins Said

For those that argue "you're either gay or you're not."

Doesn't the concept of bi-sexuality refute that? You're attracted to both, you're neither nor.

If someone is bi then they aren't gay.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#33New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:24:29
@thequietman Said

If someone is bi then they aren't gay.

No...
Scapegrace

#34New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:28:16
@boobagins Said

No...

Yes.
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#35New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:32:01
i am bye-sexual.. whenever i get sexual, he says "bye"!
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#36New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 00:33:30
@ultranewbie Said

i am bye-sexual.. whenever i get sexual, he says "bye"!

you're a classic.
Scapegrace

#37New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 01:09:34
@LuckyCharms Said

Well I don't see what's so amazingly strong about it. I am of the opinion that we are born either straight or gay (or somewhere in between). I don't think that all of a sudden a person goes from straight to gay or vice versa. They may not have admitted it to themselves or others, and when it comes out later in life it can be quite surprising but the seeds of their sexuality were always there.

I've never met a gay person that said "I decided I was gay." I have heard "I discovered I was gay", "I always felt different" and even "I was never attracted to guys/gals and now I am living the way I feel".

Sexuality is one of our most primal urges and I don't think someone can be cajoled into being something they are not. They can be cajoled into acting like someone they respect/like/admire/love wants them to be. I've seen that happen. Usually they are seeking approval or trying to fit in. (Note, for the nitpickers, I said usually.)

I have evidence to the contrary.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 09:59:29
@LuckyCharms Said

Peer pressure? Could be several reasons. It doesn't really do anything to disprove what I said. They could be acting in accordance or not in accordance with their own sexual orientation for a myriad of reasons.

But if you want to come on here and tell me I'm wrong and then say you are right you're going to have to come up with something more than one historical example. In fact I would say without some kind of scientific evidence, all we are doing is debating opinions. I expressed mine. You expressed yours. The difference is I didn't call you patronizing because I disagreed with you.

I didn't call you patronising because I disagreed with you. I said I found it patronising that you would presume to tell people who think they have changed their sexuality that actually, deep down inside, they have not. By adding this ad-hoc modification to your account, it goes from easily falsifiable to unfalsifiable. A person who has altered their sexuality is indistinguishable from someone who has failed to do so, so what does this difference amount to? But I would have thought each person was, themselves, the authority on their own sexual character.

I didn't tell you immediately that you were wrong, I just asked you to substantiate what seemed like a strong claim. And if an historical example is not enough to count as a legitimate challenge to your view that sexuality is biologically innate, then what is? I don't see any other way of challenging that than providing an example of a culture which diverges from our own in terms of its sexual norms.

You say that the ancient Greeks may not have been acting in accordance with "their own sexual orientation". If someone's sexual orientation is different to what they think it is, how can they be mistaken? Isn't how someone thinks and feels about themselves what really matters in terms of their personal identity? Or can someone else tell them they are wrong? And if they did, how would they prove it?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#40New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 17:58:50
@buffalobill90 Said

Well, if you read Plato's literature, particularly the Symposium, you'll see that the homo-erotic sexuality of the Greek aristocracy was far more than skin-deep.

I think I'm just going to bite my tongue on that one.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#41New Post! Feb 01, 2011 @ 17:59:12
@thequietman Said

I have evidence to the contrary.

BOO!
Oh, that was because the video won't play.
Scapegrace

#42New Post! Feb 02, 2011 @ 02:56:59
@someone_else Said

BOO!
Oh, that was because the video won't play.

BOO! Fixed it.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#43New Post! Feb 02, 2011 @ 03:24:46
I believe sexuality, as defined by natural attraction and urges is on a continuum with, as is the case with most continuums, most people being concentrated in the center. Behavior on the other hand is highly affected by societal pressures and norms (thus the explanation of the ancient culture where homosexual acts were the norm). I don't think a person's natural urges can be changed. I do think that behavior can be, and acceptance of oneself and feelings can be. I also think that a person can act against their own urges and feelings, but likely it will come out as a basic dissatisfaction with his/her own life.

I tend to agree also with pretty much everything that Luckycharms has said.
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#44New Post! Feb 02, 2011 @ 03:52:18
yep, i, too agree with Lucky Charms. (or pretty much anyone else who doesn't tell me to refer to the A.O.M. = Ancient Owner's Manual on how our genatalia/hormones operate)...
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#45New Post! Feb 02, 2011 @ 04:52:43
Anyone can be gullible or manipulated on a daily lifestyle.
But choosing a partner for sex - one way or another - does not
necessarily mean one is choosing homosexuality or lesbiansism as a lifestyle pattern, forever.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs