by calling someone gay your actually making them gay

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
crazyfreak921 On January 14, 2012

Frederick, Maryland
#1New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:29:07
Quote:
I was over at m friends house and she was doing a report on homosexuality. Her mom was in the major of psychology in College and said that by calling someone gay( when you actually mean to call them stupid, dumb, or weired) they actually start to think "Oh well maybe I'am" I was amazed by this and then looked into my past and saw that in the 6th grade everyone was calling me gay(But they actually meant to say stupid or weired) and that is how I became gay. SO if all you people who hate gay people call other people gay your just helping your pet peeve. That should not even be a pet peeve because you have no right to decide peoples sexuality.

Edit - Just re-read what I said. All I can say is it was an idiotic thing to suggest. I'm gay because I was born that way, not because someone told me I am. The end.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:30:52
Hm. I'm not really sure I believe that. Do you have any sources you could link us to?
crazyfreak921 On January 14, 2012

Frederick, Maryland
#3New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:32:14
Well besides the psychology major no. But I will go research that immediately.

#4New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:34:02
Cool
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#5New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:34:29
sorry, but to me that sounds rediculas, i have been called gay millions of times since i was a child and it hasnt affected me
noshingnell On December 29, 2012

LaaLaa Land, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:35:12
Wouldn;'t that largely depend on the person perception of how the remark was meant?

If you beleive that they are in fact calling you a homosexual then maybe you are more likely to question your own sexuality, but if you believe they mean it in the other sense, then surely thats the emotional response you would have to it.

its well researched that if you are tolded something enough you will start to believe it, but surely what it makes you feel has to be what you percieved the comment to mean.
nathan_girl On January 21, 2011

Blanding, Utah
#7New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:50:01
@pete Said
sorry, but to me that sounds rediculas, i have been called gay millions of times since i was a child and it hasnt affected me

some people react differently, I'd say your the kind of people that don't take things to the heart. but in crazyfreak's case I'd say you shouldn't believe what other people say about you, as long as you like the way you are you should be proud.
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#8New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:51:55
I don't believe that. If someone calls me black does that mean in the future I'm going to be black? No. It's the same with being gay having someone call you something doesn't make you be that way. You either are or you aren't.

Blanding, Utah
#9New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:56:08
@forget_about_me Said
I don't believe that. If someone calls me black does that automatically mean I'm going to be black? I know that example's kind of extreme, but having someone call you something doesn't make you be that way. You either are or you aren't.

I total agree with you.

#10New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:57:53
I think if anything it would just make a person consider their sexuality more closely. I don't think it's going to *make* them gay. It sometimes takes time for people to realize and become comfortable with it.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#11New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 00:58:44
As nathan_girl said, some people are more easily affected by what they're told than others. If you're easily hurt, that means a part of you actually believes what people are saying. The same thing goes for being called gay. We're all wonderfully different that way.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#12New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 01:22:57
It sounds as if this mother is grossly mis-generalizing research that has been done on the pygmalion/golem effect, which has absolutely nothing to do with students being told that they are gay. Researchers told teachers at the beginning of a school year that certain students were smarter than others. The teachers acted differently towards the allegedly smarter students. In turn, the students who were not dubbed so smart actually scored lower on IQ tests and performed worse in school during later tests at the end of the year . . . self-fulfilling prophecy type of thing. Teacher thinks I'm stupid, so I must be stupid. Of course, these students were randomly assigned to the smart vs. not so gifted conditions so the whole thing about some students being smarter was a bunch of hogwash. The investigators were more concerned with how they reacted to their teachers' attitudes & behavior towards them. There are a number of other such studies . . . but I have yet to see one of these that generalizes to calling people gay turns them gay.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#13New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 01:33:35
C-could you guys start calling me gay? Life would get so much easier for me if I started swinging the other way. I think. Give it a shot and see what happens!

Blanding, Utah
#14New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 01:34:32
@erlend Said
C-could you guys start calling me gay? Life would get so much easier for me if I started swinging the other way. I think. Give it a shot and see what happens!

for a person like you I don't think it's going to work.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#15New Post! Dec 23, 2006 @ 01:35:34
@nathan_girl Said
for a person like you I don't think it's going to work.

Like me? I'm the most gullible person I know! At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs