Relationships

broken promises

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
been_3369 On January 25, 2006

Deleted

#1New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 05:44:31
i have a slight problem. ok, people all my life have promised me things that never ended up happening. mainly people i love. well, my bf told me the other day, that he promises me that we will spend the rest of out lives together, promised me that wed meet. well, he cant guarantee these, and i flipped out slightly. i really hurt him, because i told him i didnt want his promises unless hes absolutely 100% sure that theyd come true. was i wrong to do that? i mean, yeah i shouldnt have flipped but its like, i dont want to get my hopes up, take his promise to heart, then something happen and his promise be broke? does anyone else have a problem with promises? whether like mine, or do you break promises a lot? and, how do you deal with the broken promises?
stephanie On November 05, 2005

Newcastle, Australia
#2New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 05:56:10
Yeah i don't think you were right too freak out like you did, but you have your reasons. Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are a bit insecure about him, have a little faith it might help you. People break promises all the time and I just think you have to take it in your stride...remember whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Neither you nor him know whats going to happen in the future, don't worry yourself about that now you can't change fate: whether you believe in it or not
sourskittles On August 12, 2005

San Antonio, Texas
#3New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 06:07:31
i agree with Stephanie

Been, honestly you cant trust anyone but yourself!!! Because of your situation - you cant guarantee anything!!! things can change in a heartbeat
jaybee On June 16, 2011

, Ireland
#4New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 12:44:18
any promises people make i would take with a pinch of salt,i wouldnt get my hopes up to be let down,so when promises are made,just dont wish to hard that they'l keep to their word as let downs hurt.
rashell16 On August 04, 2010

City of the Dead, Palau
#5New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 13:38:51
I think that you were right to freak out and that he should understand that you know something might happen, he should have just told you something like " When we get older i wanna marry you and i hope we're together that long" or something. Its jus my oppinion tho.
misunderstood On June 24, 2014
Persuasive Madam!

How about you come find me....
#6New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 16:23:53
@jaybee Said
any promises people make i would take with a pinch of salt,i wouldnt get my hopes up to be let down,so when promises are made,just dont wish to hard that they'l keep to their word as let downs hurt.

So, so true! I've been let down hard on more than one occasion, it feels as if promises are made to be broken... but I've come to accept that... I wouldn't have freaked out tho...
mib On December 25, 2007

Yuma, Arizona
#7New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 19:26:16
i wouldn't have freaked out either. when my boyfriend makes promises like those to me i don't think about how they might not come true. instead i look at it this way: he obviously cares about me a lot to be making these promises. so instead of worrying about the future and what may or may not happen, why don't you just stay in the present and enjoy the fact that he cares about you so much to want to marry you.
noveltygun On January 05, 2022

seattle, Washington
#8New Post! Jun 26, 2005 @ 19:35:38
i say make no promises especially considering how young you are....life is still fill with wonders that neither one of you have experience...the same is with me...ive learned the hard way to not make promises...so early in life..because its so hard to keep the irrational one we make when we're so young

Deleted

#9New Post! Jun 30, 2005 @ 21:44:42
i dont know, its just hard. and, he has a habit of not keeping them. "I LOVE YOU BABY, I PROMISE I WILL CALL TONIGHT!" and then never calls. i just dont know what to do about it.
bstumbo On April 26, 2006

Tiburon, Ca., California
#10New Post! Jun 30, 2005 @ 22:48:36
A promise is a promise, something to keep unless you've got a serious reason that prevents you from doing so. I promised my sig.other We would go somewhere for Christmas a couple of years ago. I ended up in a hospital with emergency surgery that damn near killed me.

But to just make a promise that you have no intent to keep is really damaging to a relationship.

A promise is a promise ... it should be kept!

Deleted

#11New Post! Jun 30, 2005 @ 23:00:09
yeah i agree, unfortunately i dont think he makes them knowing that theyd be broken. its like, something comes up and he completely forgets. that hurts really bad.

Tiburon, Ca., California
#12New Post! Jul 01, 2005 @ 01:38:01
@been_3369 Said
yeah i agree, unfortunately i dont think he makes them knowing that theyd be broken. its like, something comes up and he completely forgets. that hurts really bad.

Been,

I think when it comes to a phone call, guys take that kind of lightly ... not like a "promise". I once heard a quip that kind of says it ... If a guy tells you he'll call you, it means tomorrow ... If a gal says she'll call you, it means when she gets home.

As far as the promise that "you'll be together forever", it's awful early in the game for that kind of "promise"!

You're 17 ... enjoy yourself, have some fun, don't take things too seriously! There's lots of time for "life commitments"!

Deleted

#13New Post! Jul 01, 2005 @ 01:44:47
@bstumbo Said
Been,

I think when it comes to a phone call, guys take that kind of lightly ... not like a "promise". I once heard a quip that kind of says it ... If a guy tells you he'll call you, it means tomorrow ... If a gal says she'll call you, it means when she gets home.

As far as the promise that "you'll be together forever", it's awful early in the game for that kind of "promise"!

You're 17 ... enjoy yourself, have some fun, don't take things too seriously! There's lots of time for "life commitments"!

if only. dont know how i grew up. but im ready to commit, ready to settle down. did the whole drugs and partying, not for me. and well, the phone pisses me off cuz thats the only way we have to communicate. i just love him so much, and not hearing from him makes me sit and worry.

Tiburon, Ca., California
#14New Post! Jul 01, 2005 @ 01:52:28
Been,

By the time I was 20, I had two daughters, blown a college education, and had a hell of a time providing for us all. I made decisions that made certain aspects of my life miserable since then. My "love" and I were married 3 years... 1 1/2 were not even spent together.

Careful what you wish for ... you may get it!

Byron

Deleted

#15New Post! Jul 01, 2005 @ 01:58:31
f*** sakes, why does everyone tell me that? i definately wont change my future for Billy. i will however alter it to include him. im going to college, then grad school, plain and simple. but his promises that never come true, they make me right mad.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs