Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
el_diablo On December 19, 2008

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#16New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:21:21
@deadguy Said
email software my have vulnerabilities...so it's not necessary for you to even click on the email title to activate the virus. Even if it's in the bulk folder you still download the infected file (which may be a simple script in a picture) and you are infected.

these are not "scare tactics"...these are reality

Well, I don't get spam mail either so I don't have to worry about that. In fact I don't get very much email at all.
deadguy On December 08, 2009

Bucuresti, Romania
#17New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:24:16
@jonnythan Said
Then explain how I use IE, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird and have never, ever been infected on any of half a dozen computers?

The fact is that it's very easy *not* to get infected with viruses if you simply use your head.

what version of IE are you using ?

what is your latest security patch for Windows ?

what version of Outlook Express are you using ?

What was the latest security patch for IE and OE ?

What version of Thunderbird are you using and when was your latest security patch applied ?

Please explain how you use your head dealing with these security threats ? I am actually curious...

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#19New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:26:18
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:28:54
@deadguy Said
I recommend Zone Alarm Security Suite: it features a 3 level firewall, email protection, antivirus and antispyware. The good thing about it is that it doesn't slow down your computer at all (i even tested it on a computer with a 800 Hz Duron processor and 64 mb of RAM and it didn't slow it down at all)

I recomend you DONT use ZoneAlarm or anything from ZoneLabs, f***ed my computer and now blocks all net traffic on my flatmates even though its uninstalled.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#21New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:28:58
*groan*

Get off it, man.

I run a single scheduled full-system virus scan once a week using Clamwin. Never found a single virus.

Before that, I would do a once-a-month scan using Trend Micro's highly rated free online virus scanner. Never found a thing.

I also do a once-a-month full system scan with Ad-Aware and another with Spybot. Never found a thing except tracking cookies.

I properly secure my network and my machine. I don't open untrusted email attachments. I don't run random ActiveX controls. I don't run random executables from the internet.

That's really all it takes. Use your head. If I don't trust something not to contain a virus, in the vast majority of cases I simply won't use it. In the other cases, I will save it to my computer, then scan it for viruses. End of story. Virus-free for 10 years and running.

Bucuresti, Romania
#22New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:30:45
@bandylank Said
I recomend you DONT use ZoneAlarm or anything from ZoneLabs, f***ed my computer and now blocls all net traffic on my flatmates even though its uninstalled.

you probably configured it wrong !!! i use ZL products for 3 years now, on a personal and corporate level and i never had any problems with it

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#23New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:30:46
@jonnythan Said
That's really all it takes. Use your head. If I don't trust something not to contain a virus, in the vast majority of cases I simply won't use it. In the other cases, I will save it to my computer, then scan it for viruses. End of story. Virus-free for 10 years and running.

Exactly.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:30:55
@jonnythan Said
*groan*

Get off it, man.

I run a single scheduled full-system virus scan once a week using Clamwin. Never found a single virus.

Before that, I would do a once-a-month scan using Trend Micro's highly rated free online virus scanner. Never found a thing.

I also do a once-a-month full system scan with Ad-Aware and another with Spybot. Never found a thing except tracking cookies.

I properly secure my network and my machine. I don't open untrusted email attachments. I don't run random ActiveX controls. I don't run random executables from the internet.

All make sense to me.....

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#25New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:32:46
@deadguy Said
you probably configured it wrong !!! i use ZL products for 3 years now, on a personal and corporate level and i never had any problems with it

It was installed..........it blocked traffic on my computer.............i uninstalled it.............it still blocks traffic...........WTF could i have done wrong????The program isnt even there?!? but it still blocks traffic?!?!?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#26New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:34:29
ZA is a well-known PITA program that doesn't like to listen to the user and has a broken uninstall process. At least, that's how it was a couple of years ago. They could have improved since then, but a "security suite" is a broken idea to begin with anyway.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#27New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:36:16
@jonnythan Said
ZA is a well-known PITA program that doesn't like to listen to the user and has a broken uninstall process. At least, that's how it was a couple of years ago. They could have improved since then, but a "security suite" is a broken idea to begin with anyway.

that is the problem, me and my flat mate are trying to find all the files that were left there but some cant be deleted because they are still in use

Bucuresti, Romania
#28New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:36:49
well...if that's what you feel..then congratulations...you are a bloody genius....and people should follow your example. Congratulations !!!

I will retire from this thread because my computer security skills are obviously inferior to yours !

I bow before your experience and knowledge !
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#29New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:39:29
We used to have Norton... however that was crap because when we switched to AVG, we found like 5 trojan horse viruses, so obviously it hadnt been working.
Now we've got AVG and its ace, its quick speedy and we hardly have any viruses. i recommend it. Also we have spybot, which gets rid of all the spyware found on the internet.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#30New Post! May 25, 2006 @ 19:40:43
Well, if you come here and flat out tell me that I'm "wrong", don't be surprised when I prove myself right

Besides, I'm not saying that I have some uber security skills that no one else possesses. Everyone is perfectly capable of running a nice secure PC without always-on antivirus protection. That was the whole point. I said it was easy and you just need to use common sense. kyahbean is relatively new to computers and has never gotten a virus onto my PC or her own.

My previous post contained pretty much everything you need to know.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs