The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Wouldn't you agree that to this extent, the school system is unjust?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
RrrendezVoodoo On April 23, 2009

Deleted

, New York
#1New Post! Dec 19, 2008 @ 08:53:29
A very close friend of mine was diagnosed with extreme social anxiety when he was eight years old. Since then, his world is completely imprisoned by medication. I myself was recently diagnosed with a form of social anxiety, but not nearly as severe as my friend's.
When you enter high school every day, the basic social system is that you're one of these three; cool, a joke, or unnoticed.
There is always the option of being home tutoring, but in most cases, the parents are paying the tutor rather than the school. Or, at least where I'm from, in order for the school to pay for the home tutoring, it must be taken to court first, and there must be medical proof of said social anxiety.
There are also people who, very much like me, can't stand sitting in one place for a long time.
Personally, I feel like most of the student body is immature. Most of the girls build their reputations on how many guys they've manipulated, and most of the boys build theirs on how many girls they've shamelessly f***ed.
It disgusts me that most of these people have no real basis for pride, and that rather than acting like young men and women, they act more or less like children.
Due to my social anxiety, ADHD, and need to constantly be in a different place, I stopped going to school altogether. Now, I have to get my GED and take an extra year of college for high school credentials.
I fail to realize why my school isn't funding services for home tutoring or a simpler way to educate people like my friend and I, rather than funding to cheap IBM laptops that distract students more or less than help them take notes in class.
But I suppose the school bases their system more on the majority of students who don't have a problem being in school as a successful system.
I don't know
What do you think?
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#2New Post! Dec 19, 2008 @ 09:44:02
Rrrendez, I understand your dilemma and your friend's & I do sympathise.
It's a shame that the answer for you was to leave school entirly. I'm not sure why you didn't explore the home schooling option, perhaps it was a cost issue for your family.
I think that if the government put funding behind home schooling it would be a statement that the traditional schooling system is a failure somehow - a risky political move for any country.
Home schooling is usually voluntary for personal reasons that differ from student to student. In Australia I think there would be quite a public back-lash for increased funding for home schooling. There is as you said yourself, already quite a successful system in place which taxpayers are already paying for. I think some analysis of how many students needed a different type of schooling, why, and why the current system didn't meet their needs would need to be done first before any government would commit funding to it. I'm sure the problem is that most of these students who could be helped just leave the school system, unnoticed and unrepresented.
I do agree that schools should alter their syllabus or teaching style to accommodate students who have learning difficulties. Better understanding of individual cases like yours would be a very good start. I'm sure you are not alone & that there are many students who may elect to leave just like you did, for the same reasons.
I'm unsure whether you or your parents spoke to your school when you were there about your needs. But if you didn't again, you wouldn't be alone. I think the issue is that kids leave the school system wuithout explaining what needed to change for them to stay.
Eonalis On January 13, 2009

Mentor, Ohio
#3New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 02:55:16
I have to agree with your points even if I'm just barely going into high school. Schools are vary biased, most people have their own groups, their own friends. I also think most people put people in groups goth, weird, outcast, nerds, geeks,popular, invisible, jocks, brats,intellectuals, funny there is lots of the groups. I can understand why you dropped out, but also ignoring all those aspects if you look hard you can find good friends that would never betray you. You might find them in really odd places. For example using the biased system I would be considered a weird, intellectual, outcast and my best friend would be considered a nerd. People believe they can put you in a group before they've even met you. But I think they should actually talk to you and meet you before they decide.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs