The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Teens:
School

Would you enjoy school more if your teachers behaved like this?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:35:43
In one of my lifetimes I taught school for 25 years. These are the things that I tried to remember when working with my students. If you hate or love school how would you feel if all teachers remembered the following? Do they make a big difference?

1. Never back a student into a corner where he/she will lose if he/she follows your directions.

2. Never reprimand a student in front of peers

3. Never set your expectations of your students too low

4. Never let them see you sweat.

5. When a student just won't get quiet, approach them, whisper, "I care about you, but please shut-up."

6. Let them know that you're in charge, but open to help them in anyway that you can.

It's not always easy for a teacher who has a dying parent, sick child, or a life, but should this be the most important thing that teachers are taught before they're every allowed in a classroom?
I'm working with student teachers and would really like your opinion.
moonlighthopes On May 30, 2015

, Canada
#2New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:38:42
I loved almost all my teachers and they made the classes great. The ones with a sense of humour did it for me

It was the classmates that made me quit school. Not because of bullying, because I was never bullied. They just always took advantage of teachers, never shut up, held back the classes etc... I felt I was getting nowhere. I had perfect grades but I had migraines every single day, I'd get up, go to school 7-4, and come home and sleep. Nothing else would take the pain away. I've only had a rare migraine since.
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#3New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:38:56
I hated school so much, happiest day of my life when I graduated, My life truely began after that, but I like your ideas, they will work on some students but im afraid probably not all as I am sure you already know!
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#4New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:40:53
@moonlighthopes Said

I loved almost all my teachers and they made the classes great. The ones with a sense of humour did it for me

It was the classmates that made me quit school. Not because of bullying, because I was never bullied. They just always took advantage of teachers, never shut up, held back the classes etc... I felt I was getting nowhere. I had perfect grades but I had migraines every single day, I'd get up, go to school 7-4, and come home and sleep. Nothing else would take the pain away. I've only had a rare migraine since.

Gosh I suffer from the occasional migraine now in my life, I cant imagine having them in school like that, I am so sorry you had to go through that!
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#5New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:42:10
i quite school at 15: You so sincere any kid would luvs to have you as a teacher.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:48:28
Yes, a teacher like you would have been so much better than some of the old-school types in english schools when I was studying. Couldn't tell you the number of times the blackboard rubber was thrown at us and they told us off in front of each other as a matter of course. There were a few sadistic types among them, I'm sure.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#7New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:52:05
2. Never reprimand a student in front of peers

This would have made ALL the difference.
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#8New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 15:54:39
Yeah they used to spank us right in front of everyone!
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:03:08
How is anybody supposed to learn under those circumstances? Life's hard enough without deliberately making it worse.

#10New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:08:42
@smallbutterflies Said

My teachers are really a pain in my buns...

I go to a charter school as many of you may know

It's seen as outrageous to not understand a problem

You miss a problem on your homework and its counted as not doing it at all

I have selective mutism and the teachers keep trying to make me talk, thinking that I will just "snap out of it"

All of the teachers yell and scream

I have ADHD and they put me in a special ed class where they talk this slow.

My specialty was education of the socially and emotionally gifted child. So many ADHD are bright, with teachers totally unaware. That's why I always did the , "I care about you but please shut up."
Shut up isn't nice, but the kids could relate and when the other kids would see me whisper, they'd finish my sentence. It made us close, kind of like a family, and that was the best.We'd all laugh together, not at one another.

#11New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:16:20
@smallbutterflies Said

I have figured out how to piss them off...if the special ed nazis ever look over my shoulder, I immediately put down my pencil and stare at them...they go away pretty darn fast when I do that

I hope no one ever thought of me as a Nazi, sounds like you're in the wrong place. People don't realize, gifted kids are in special education too.I'd tell my kids that if one of the uppity kids would call them a name concerning special ed. Shut them up everytime.
If you have selective mutism, you may have minor ADHD or are you just Attention Deficit or bored out of your mind?

#12New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:21:12
You just mentioned meds. Those are a big controversy, I've asked a kid that on a Fri. when I'm out of my mind exhausted. I'd usually say something like,"If you didin't take your meds., I'll take mine," but it would be between the two of us. There are new meds., maybe you need a better doctor.

#13New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:21:21
You just mentioned meds. Those are a big controversy, I've asked a kid that on a Fri. when I'm out of my mind exhausted. I'd usually say something like,"If you didin't take your meds., I'll take mine," but it would be between the two of us. There are new meds., maybe you nee a better doctor.

#14New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:21:22
You just mentioned meds. Those are a big controversy, I've asked a kid that on a Fri. when I'm out of my mind exhausted. I'd usually say something like,"If you didin't take your meds., I'll take mine," but it would be between the two of us. There are new meds., maybe you need a better doctor.

#15New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:22:35
Lousy computer, sorry about that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs