Would you allow your child transition?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
DivineBeautii On August 26, 2012

, New York
#1New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 16:24:22
Transition as in transgender...

My husband was watching a show and the boy was 14 and the father was against him wanting to be a girl his mother was allowing it...

NOW the issues behind it wasn't that she did or didnt care it was the child feels hes a girl in a boys body and the father refusing to accept it he became the boy became sucidal, emotionally damaged, and it was alot for the mother to handle so she decides to let him chose what he wants and if its a faze it will pass...Problem was the therapist was suggesting hormones so the process of the kid grown facial hair and such are reduced

So hubby ask would I allow it if it were us.. I answer under thise circumstances yes I'm not going to lose child because society wants him to be a curtain way.. Would I want that NO because the hard life he would face because of ignorant hateful ppl

I have nothing against transgenders I'm bi sexual and this isn't a forum on whether you think gay lifestyles is wrong or right frankly I don't give a damn who thinks its wrong its my life...

My question is under those circumstances would you accept your child or still try to change him
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 17:19:16
I was just wacthing Anderson Cooper this morning, and they are going to have a show about this very thing one day this week.

It got me to thinking; because this particular show he will be presenting is about kids who have actually had the operation.
Two looked to be between the ages of 12 and around 9 I'd say.

I know gender issues are very real; But IS it possible for a child to be simply confused? And/or to 'outgrow' this?

Has there ever been such a case?

I guess it just shocked me that the parents allowed to operation at such an early age...The 'what if' they changed their minds later? Was at the back of my mind.

EDIT: And as for the last question in your post...I'd accept my child, or any family memember/person, for who they are. Period.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 17:29:05
Oh, and would I allow my 'child' to actually have it done? I hightly doubt it. (Although much would depend really on the maturity of the child, and what he/she could handle. )
But seriously, how many children have that kind of maturity? Let alone know really what they want yet?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 14, 2011 @ 18:49:22
I think once the child is at an age where they can make a rational, informed decision then they should be allowed to go through with it. The entire process is long, costly and emotionally draining though which isn't exactly helpful in their teenage years, but if it will make them feel more like themselves and be happy in the long term then they should be able to.

There's a series about transgender people in differing stages of the transition on in the UK at the moment. It's surprisingly emotional to watch them go through it, one person in particular was in the first stages and was too scared to tell their parents for fear of being rejected by their family.

, New York
#5New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 13:22:58
@sTreetAngeL Said

I was just wacthing Anderson Cooper this morning, and they are going to have a show about this very thing one day this week.

It got me to thinking; because this particular show he will be presenting is about kids who have actually had the operation.
Two looked to be between the ages of 12 and around 9 I'd say.

I know gender issues are very real; But IS it possible for a child to be simply confused? And/or to 'outgrow' this?

Has there ever been such a case?

I guess it just shocked me that the parents allowed to operation at such an early age...The 'what if' they changed their minds later? Was at the back of my mind.

EDIT: And as for the last question in your post...I'd accept my child, or any family memember/person, for who they are. Period.

There are many cases with very young childern and i do believe some may just be confused but i know alot stand thier ground on the belief they were meant to be the opposite sex...
Its hard because you have an opinion about it [most ppl are agaisnt such things] & you have the right to feel you know whats best & protect your child... but also you battle the instinct with how he reacts with your choice as well as his health...
but me i would perfer not to allow it for the hurt n pain society will bring howeever if he is trying to kill himself and acting out in anger in school ect i will just let him be and help him or her get thru this let her/him know I'm be as supportive as possible...

if y

, New York
#6New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 13:25:21
you guys should watch the episode it Law and Order Special Victims Unit season 11 episode name is transition... it would be a better understanding of the situation I'm talking about...
It makes you wonder as a mom what would you do...
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! Nov 15, 2011 @ 14:39:32
@DivineBeautii Said

There are many cases with very young childern and i do believe some may just be confused but i know alot stand thier ground on the belief they were meant to be the opposite sex...
Its hard because you have an opinion about it [most ppl are agaisnt such things] & you have the right to feel you know whats best & protect your child... but also you battle the instinct with how he reacts with your choice as well as his health...
but me i would perfer not to allow it for the hurt n pain society will bring howeever if he is trying to kill himself and acting out in anger in school ect i will just let him be and help him or her get thru this let her/him know I'm be as supportive as possible...

if y

It's definitely no easy thing to handle for a parent. I can just imagine what the kid is going through.

But as a responsible parent, it wouldn't be wise to just rush into things just because the kid thinks that is what he wants... (kids change their minds about so many things ALL of the time. )

I dunno...
If it were a child of mine, I would seek out the best doctors in the 'know' on the issue; and along with extensive therapy, and combined judgement; let them more or less be the final judges as to what is the right move to make.

@DivineBeautii Said

you guys should watch the episode it Law and Order Special Victims Unit season 11 episode name is transition... it would be a better understanding of the situation I'm talking about...
It makes you wonder as a mom what would you do...

I'll check that out. You have me curious now.

, New York
#8New Post! Aug 26, 2012 @ 20:53:11
@sTreetAngeL Said

It's definitely no easy thing to handle for a parent. I can just imagine what the kid is going through.

But as a responsible parent, it wouldn't be wise to just rush into things just because the kid thinks that is what he wants... (kids change their minds about so many things ALL of the time. )

I dunno...
If it were a child of mine, I would seek out the best doctors in the 'know' on the issue; and along with extensive therapy, and combined judgement; let them more or less be the final judges as to what is the right move to make.

I'll check that out. You have me curious now.

did you ever watch it?
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#9New Post! Aug 26, 2012 @ 21:13:52
To be honest, I don't think I would allow it. No offense to transgender, but it doesn't seem right to me. I'm sorry, but God didn't make any mistakes when he created anyone so it doesn't make sense to something else.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#10New Post! Aug 26, 2012 @ 22:23:06
@DivineBeautii Said

My husband was watching a show and the boy was 14 and the father was against him wanting to be a girl his mother was allowing it...

NOW the issues behind it wasn't that she did or didnt care it was the child feels hes a girl in a boys body and the father refusing to accept it he became the boy became sucidal, emotionally damaged, and it was alot for the mother to handle so she decides to let him chose what he wants and if its a faze it will pass...Problem was the therapist was suggesting hormones so the process of the kid grown facial hair and such are reduced

So hubby ask would I allow it if it were us.. I answer under thise circumstances yes I'm not going to lose child because society wants him to be a curtain way.. Would I want that NO because the hard life he would face because of ignorant hateful ppl

I have nothing against transgenders I'm bi sexual and this isn't a forum on whether you think gay lifestyles is wrong or right frankly I don't give a damn who thinks its wrong its my life...

My question is under those circumstances would you accept your child or still try to change him

First off, I would very sympathetic to His/Hers dilemma. I'd tell him I'm very supportive in every way. I would suggest that he waits until his body stops it's growth process before making any physical transformations, to avoid any possibilities of physical deformities arising due to the surgery. No matter what, I'd go along with his decision.

J.R.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#11New Post! Aug 26, 2012 @ 22:40:37
@DivineBeautii Said

I would fully support any of my 3 kids if they were in this situation.

I would seek out professionals in the Transgender therapy and surgery field to get my child all the needed support and information that is needed.

How could you not? If you would get a therapist/psychiatrist for your child if they were depressed, assaulted in some way or is suffering with a mental disorder, how could you not do something for your child if they were questioning or needed help with their sexual identity. I am in NO WAY saying that someone that is Transgender is mentally disturbed. But it is something that does need additional knowledge and support.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Aug 27, 2012 @ 03:52:04
@JR_Sanford Said

First off, I would very sympathetic to His/Hers dilemma. I'd tell him I'm very supportive in every way. I would suggest that he waits until his body stops it's growth process before making any physical transformations, to avoid any possibilities of physical deformities arising due to the surgery. No matter what, I'd go along with his decision.

J.R.

I can understand your position and your reasoning, but the fact is that hormonal therapy and surgery before puberty has a much higher success rate for the individual. It's simply easier to change course than it is to turn around if you get the analogy.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Aug 27, 2012 @ 04:03:29
14 is a bit young to allow your child the decision to snip off his willy, I'd give it a few more years.

I can understand in the instance of a hermaphrodite where if you catch them young enough you might able to transition them to one gender easier.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#14New Post! Aug 27, 2012 @ 04:58:19
@boxerdc Said

I can understand your position and your reasoning, but the fact is that hormonal therapy and surgery before puberty has a much higher success rate for the individual. It's simply easier to change course than it is to turn around if you get the analogy.

I think that 14 is too young to make a lifelong decision such as that. Just like allowing them to get a tattoo or body piercings. Their mental capacity still hasn't grasped the ramifications of their actions on that level yet. 16 years old is my limit and 20 is even better. I gotta think, would I let Him/Her drive my car?

What's the hurry anyway?

J.R.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 27, 2012 @ 06:49:53
@JR_Sanford Said

I think that 14 is too young to make a lifelong decision such as that. Just like allowing them to get a tattoo or body piercings. Their mental capacity still hasn't grasped the ramifications of their actions on that level yet. 16 years old is my limit and 20 is even better. I gotta think, would I let Him/Her drive my car?

What's the hurry anyway?

J.R.

It's physically easier, and more successful for your son to become your daughter before the full onset of puberty..

That said, if I were a parent, I would leave no stone unturned before making sure that my son was absolutely crossgender before allowing treatment or surgery.. I'd explore every physical and mental avenue before it happened, just to be certain.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs