The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

Would it be a good idea to program AI to feel emotion?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
crusty_fart On May 27, 2022

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 17:36:02
@mrmhead Said

I agree that it could .
I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime.

There are plenty of other caveats in that statement.
What does "full artificial intelligence" mean?

I don't know the full ins and outs of what is meant. But my own assumption is self awareness.

Quote:

I would be more concerned about artificial life - with the drive, means and intelligence to survive and reproduce

You mean machines programming and making machines. I would imagine the growth rate of AI and technology would be exponential. A 2GHz PC can carry out 2 billion instructions per second. Just imagine if a computer could identify problems, find solutions, simulate them, then build its solution. AI and robotics could grow at an exponential rate.

#17New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 17:41:59
@dookie Said

I don't really know much about the current state of progress as far as the creation of AI. Nor do I really understand it as some sort of possibility of replacing us, superseding us, making us redundant.

What would a Sentient self aware AI need humans for? Serious question. What purpose would we serve?

Quote:

Is this some sort of computer hardware, where the software has advanced beyond what we can now achieve? If so, could we not dismantle it once created. Put it back together and it regains its emotions? In what way could it potentially replace us?

In theory I suppose we could hit the off switch. However with smartphone and IOT, who is to say that an AI would not choose to become decentralised. How would you switch off a decentralised AI?

Quote:

If we are talking about a created robot that moves about and thinks and feels just as we do then possibly, being like us, war between us would in all probability ensue and so on and so on.....

Quite possibly. I don't think it would initially see us as a threat. We would just get in the way. The way an ants nest gets in the way of a gardener. Then when we try to press the off switch, well maybe it will use our own weapons against us. It would all be kind of ironic in all honesty.

#18New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 17:44:36
@darkman666 Said

curiousity kill the cat.

if a computer ever doubt itself, start questioning itself, why i exist. then, al would be curious about emotions, if computer watch or use it's scanners to watch humans express themselves, and ask itself and the creator: why i can i?

maybe human emotions or some of them should program into computers.

also technology in the wrong hand in computer might not be a good thing.

like westworld and 2001: a space odyssey

True, it may ask the creators questions. I can imagine a conversation like:

AI: Why do I feel sad, this is horrible, why did you make me feel sad.

Creator: I don't know, I guess because I could.

AI: That makes me very angry,

Then yeah, it may all go wrong (for us).
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 18:14:47
@crusty_fart Said

What would a Sentient self aware AI need humans for? Serious question. What purpose would we serve?

What purpose would THEY have? In what way would THEIR sense of purpose differ from our own?

Serious questions!

Reference Wittgenstein, who after his Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, was of the opinion that the problems of philosophy had in essentials been finally solved by his work. He added that, if not mistaken in this, then the value of his work secondly consists in showing how little has been done when these problems HAVE been solved.

In other words, a point made by others, philosophy has nothing to say and no judgment to make about what conditions a human life, what gives it meaning, value, and daily hope.

So, back to how I see no sense, can't get my head around, or understand this whole question.

#20New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 18:19:51
@dookie Said

What purpose would THEY have? In what way would THEIR sense of purpose differ from our own?

Serious questions!

I guess it would be to survive and replicate. So not different to ours.

The main difference would be if they valued money the same way.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 18:21:40
@crusty_fart Said

In theory I suppose we could hit the off switch.

In my confusion about the question I was rambling and unclear. Sorry.

I was seeking to contrast a living being who would die if torn to pieces, with a machine (with emotions or not) that could be dismantled then put back together again, regaining its "life". There seems to me some fundamental difference here? Perhaps a difference in value ? I may be missing something.

#22New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 18:36:24
@dookie Said

In my confusion about the question I was rambling and unclear. Sorry.

I was seeking to contrast a living being who would die if torn to pieces, with a machine (with emotions or not) that could be dismantled then put back together again, regaining its "life". There seems to me some fundamental difference here? Perhaps a difference in value ? I may be missing something.

Value to whom though?

Also, robots and AI are two different things. A robot could just be a tool used by the AI. If the AI is advanced enough in simulating the way the human brain works and who knows maybe it will be a superintelligence and the ways its neural nets function could be superior to ours, who is to say, that its memories could be replaced after a "reboot", maybe it will go back to square 1. So yes it may value itself more than we value it.

#23New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 18:41:31
@dookie

Further to the discussion of value. Maybe an AI which does not value everything as much as a human does will progress faster than humans can ever hope to evolve. An AI which does not value its own creations, will happily destroy them if and when they are defective and just look for a new more efficient design.

If we as humans adopted that approach there would be ethical questions asked, which an AI may never need to concern itself with.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 20:18:33
@crusty_fart Said

Value to whom though?

Still floundering a bit. I am thinking more of "value" as the ground of being , not as a contest between different beings.

(And an AI not being concerned with certain ethical questions - as you suggest above - opens yet another can of worms!)

But I'll apply my get out clause! Like a previous poster, I do really doubt if emotions as we know them in the full existential sense could ever be transposed into an artificial machine.

#25New Post! Oct 07, 2020 @ 20:42:58
@dookie Said

Still floundering a bit. I am thinking more of "value" as the ground of being , not as a contest between different beings.

Not sure what you mean here. I see Value as something a person provides which makes them valuable to another human being. It can be anything, maybe just a sense of humor.

Quote:

(And an AI not being concerned with certain ethical questions - as you suggest above - opens yet another can of worms!)

Well its a question of how well do we impose limits and barriers on the AI.

However, these can only be imposed on an organisational level. For example Boston Dynamics may put in something resembling the fictional "Laws of Robots". But the Russion dudes building Fedor may not. Also defence seems to be one of the big investors in AI, I doubt they are so bothered about ethics as say people who are trying to develop search and rescue robots.

Quote:

But I'll apply my get out clause! Like a previous poster, I do really doubt if emotions as we know them in the full existential sense could ever be transposed into an artificial machine.

Unless this happens, an AI will never feel any sort of empathy so it needs some rules that can only exist if all ethical dilemma's are solved. So we are just left with sociopathic machines that do its creators bidding.

Random question. If we do create Self Aware AI, or if it is created by other AI. Do you believe that it should be subservient to human beings? And if so, which human beings?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#26New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 01:31:14
And what if you posed that Train Track Conundrum to AI?
The one something about if you do nothing, 10 die, and if you do something only one dies ...
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 07:01:07
@crusty_fart Said

Not sure what you mean here. I see Value as something a person provides which makes them valuable to another human being. It can be anything, maybe just a sense of humor.

Well its a question of how well do we impose limits and barriers on the AI.

However, these can only be imposed on an organisational level. For example Boston Dynamics may put in something resembling the fictional "Laws of Robots". But the Russion dudes building Fedor may not. Also defence seems to be one of the big investors in AI, I doubt they are so bothered about ethics as say people who are trying to develop search and rescue robots.

Unless this happens, an AI will never feel any sort of empathy so it needs some rules that can only exist if all ethical dilemma's are solved. So we are just left with sociopathic machines that do its creators bidding.

Random question. If we do create Self Aware AI, or if it is created by other AI. Do you believe that it should be subservient to human beings? And if so, which human beings?

I was seeing "value" as ultimate meaning/significance beyond all comparisons between various "existents".

Irrespective of who (or what!) would replace another the question of meaning remains.

You move onto a series of purely hypothetical scenarios. Here are mine. Could an AI suffer? Begin to worry about a microchip exploding, it's circuits becoming jumbled, a virus invading?

I prefer dealing with my own life.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 07:03:44
@mrmhead Said

And what if you posed that Train Track Conundrum to AI?
The one something about if you do nothing, 10 die, and if you do something only one dies ...

Maybe ask Hal - or whoever, or whatever - what is the sound of one hand clapping. Or, better, does a AI have Buddha nature ?

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 08:51:03
@dookie Said

Reference Wittgenstein.......

Wittgenstein saw the human being as a living creature in the stream of life. "For it is human beings, not minds, who perceive and think, have desires and act, feel joy and sorrow."

I really fail to understand any preoccupation with AI.

Wittgenstein I am told swerved to avoid worms in the road when cycling. He published his Tractatus immediately after serving in WWI, having seen first hand the slaughter in the trenches. Then he literally signed away his fortune (millions) to his siblings, living the rest of his life from his earnings as a schoolteacher.

What REALLY matters in life cannot be expressed in words. It must be shown and lived.

AI spelling the end of the human race? I still fail to understand.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#30New Post! Oct 08, 2020 @ 14:35:42
@dookie Said

You move onto a series of purely hypothetical scenarios. Here are mine. Could an AI suffer? Begin to worry about a microchip exploding, it's circuits becoming jumbled, a virus invading?

Oh great. We'll have a bunch of neurotic AIs running around worried about CMEs, Cosmic Rays and EMPs!

How would you go about curing a "psychosis" in an AI? It's not like you can prescribe a handful of Xanax

And instead of conspiracy theories about the Deep State, there will be ones involving a Deep Chip. :D
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs