Worthless "self defense" classes for young women

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
vekta On November 18, 2013

#16New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 04:10:22
@HiImDan Said

what's Krav Maga?

Most people think it's Israeli. It was actually invented around Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 1930s by a man named Imi Lichtenfeld. He first used it against Nazi militia groups before the outbreak of war and taught it to some of the local Jewish residents of the area. When Nazi Germany invaded in force he went to what we now call Israel. There it became the fighting system we know as Krav Maga. It is a very brutal and direct system of fighting. Some of it's basic principles are centered around exploiting any vulnerability to an excruciating extreme, use anything you can as a weapon and attack any threat with far more and lethal force than they attempted to use on you as quickly as you can.

As far as I know it's banned in some MMA circles because of how brutal it was designed to be. It is not for sport.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#17New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 04:11:19
@ImBlue Said

haha
well as I said I probably wouldn't stand a chance against my girlfriend in a fight and I'm sure she could flip me in a real life situation...
but I still say that if a girl wants to learn those kind of things, she'd have to practice really hard... I'm 100% sure my girlfriend could never have learned how to kick my butt just by praciticing a couple of days...

oh, well my lessons were like 4 hours a week for 4 months. I've forgotten most of it, but still.

#18New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 04:12:59
@Marcussextus Said

IMO, it all depends on the woman.
Any training can and will be effective if it is USED. The problem is the ability to react in time, and appropriately. It also depends on the persons instinctive reactions, many freeze in attack circumstances, and that needs to be overcome. That's where practice comes in.
I've seen black-belt martial artists who s*** themselves and froze in a real-life brawl. I've also seen a panicking, untrained wimp take down a huge angry bikey, it was hilarious!
I taught my daughter to fight, hard and dirty, from the time she was 5, until she could drop me whenever she wanted. Her two older, and much larger, brothers were and are terrified of her. While at Uni she was working as a barmaid, and got leapt upon and groped by a drunk. He didn't get any further, she broke his jaw and knocked him unconscious, before security could respond to the alarm!
Considering what I'd taught her, he got off lightly!
One proud Dad that day, I tell ya fa true!

Listen to Marcussextus. He knows
ImBlue On August 14, 2010

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#19New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 20:27:04
@vekta Said

You're talking 25-30 years of training though. If you really wanted to you could hurt her rather easily but that's a two way street.

It would be a very simple matter to walk past her with a smile then turn around and tag her in the back of the skull with anything hard.

She could just as easily walk past you with a smile then turn around and stick that screw driver you didn't see her hiding on the other side of her in between a couple ribs and use it as a handle.

yeah that's true of course. 8) if I ever have to hit her, I'll do it by surprise (joke)
and - it's about 15 years of training in her case haha

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#20New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 20:45:56
@floydgirrl Said

oh, well my lessons were like 4 hours a week for 4 months. I've forgotten most of it, but still.

well I guess that's better, but I still think it takes much much more time for a girl to learn how to kick major butt effectively 8)
2nd_Evil_Head On March 24, 2015

Elmira,
#21New Post! Nov 22, 2009 @ 20:58:19
Situational awareness, a commitment to avoidance of dangerous situations, and if that fails, a very high level of agression.

The biggest problem I have seen with people, men or women, not being able to defend themselves is a lack of decisiveness. Too often I have seen someone that just doesn't seem to believe what's happening is real, or freezes up, hoping it will just stop, and of course, it doesn't.

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#22New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:05:05
@2nd_Evil_Head Said

Situational awareness, a commitment to avoidance of dangerous situations, and if that fails, a very high level of agression.

The biggest problem I have seen with people, men or women, not being able to defend themselves is a lack of decisiveness. Too often I have seen someone that just doesn't seem to believe what's happening is real, or freezes up, hoping it will just stop, and of course, it doesn't.

yes, that makes sense...
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#23New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:39:23
@ImBlue Said

One thing that has been bugging me for quite a while are the posters I keep seeing for self defense classes, directed at young women. The message is something like "You want to learn how to defend yourself and feel safe? Then take these ten 90 minutes lessons for $XX". So the idea apparently is that after attending a couple of these classes the girls will be able to defend themselves from muggers, rapists and violent dates etc...

Worst thing is that many women seam to fall for this crap. How is that even possible?
I mean like it or not, but men generally have a big size and strength advantage over women and a couple of self defense classes (even if the instructor is very well qualified) will not change that one bit. At best, these classes will have no effect on the girls who participate and at worst the girls will walk away from there with a false sense of security, which may get them in unnecessary trouble.

And just to clarify: I don't mean young women shouldn't or can't learn how to defend themselves. I am a 5'11'' 175 lbs guy and I go to the gym on a regular basis. Yet my 5'7'' 125 lbs girlfriend could easily wipe the floor with me in a fight. Why? Because she has been practicing real martial arts since she was 7 and she is a black belt. If a girl wants to be able to cancel out a guy's size and strength advantage like that she has a lot more work to do than to show up on a couple of those so called "self defense for women" classes.

I totally agree with you, I used to do some Kick boxing in my younger years befor eI joined the airforce, and there where girls doing it. they had to partner up with the young boys 12-13 year old boys, sparring with 18-22 year old girls.. Its a shame though the self defence classes are complete and utter crap. your mate had it right train from an early age... I had my arse handed to me by a girl in my aikido class.. she had been doing it since she started walkin..
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#24New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:40:07
@vekta Said

Most people think it's Israeli. It was actually invented around Hungary and Czechoslovakia in the 1930s by a man named Imi Lichtenfeld. He first used it against Nazi militia groups before the outbreak of war and taught it to some of the local Jewish residents of the area. When Nazi Germany invaded in force he went to what we now call Israel. There it became the fighting system we know as Krav Maga. It is a very brutal and direct system of fighting. Some of it's basic principles are centered around exploiting any vulnerability to an excruciating extreme, use anything you can as a weapon and attack any threat with far more and lethal force than they attempted to use on you as quickly as you can.

As far as I know it's banned in some MMA circles because of how brutal it was designed to be. It is not for sport.

Been searching for some one to teach that in birmingham UK. but cant find any one.. that and systema.

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#25New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:54:05
@markfox01 Said

I totally agree with you, I used to do some Kick boxing in my younger years befor eI joined the airforce, and there where girls doing it. they had to partner up with the young boys 12-13 year old boys, sparring with 18-22 year old girls.. Its a shame though the self defence classes are complete and utter crap. your mate had it right train from an early age... I had my arse handed to me by a girl in my aikido class.. she had been doing it since she started walkin..

yes that's pretty much what I'm saying...
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 19:59:42
Ah, you're just worried the women will start fighting back.

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#27New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 20:11:16
@jmo Said

Ah, you're just worried the women will start fighting back.

hahaha yeah maybe that's it
rocket325 On August 07, 2015

Northwest, Connecticut
#28New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 20:18:26
@ImBlue Said

One thing that has been bugging me for quite a while are the posters I keep seeing for self defense classes, directed at young women. The message is something like "You want to learn how to defend yourself and feel safe? Then take these ten 90 minutes lessons for $XX". So the idea apparently is that after attending a couple of these classes the girls will be able to defend themselves from muggers, rapists and violent dates etc...

And just to clarify: I don't mean young women shouldn't or can't learn how to defend themselves. I am a 5'11'' 175 lbs guy and I go to the gym on a regular basis. Yet my 5'7'' 125 lbs girlfriend could easily wipe the floor with me in a fight. Why? Because she has been practicing real martial arts since she was 7 and she is a black belt. If a girl wants to be able to cancel out a guy's size and strength advantage like that she has a lot more work to do than to show up on a couple of those so called "self defense for women" classes.

actually quite a good post about women & self defense.
I agree that any training is better than none.
your stating that your G/F could beat you in a fight is misleading.
unless she is involved in a full contact aspect, the mere getting of a black belt in most martial arts that involve performing katas is no
barometer of fighting ability. points don't count on the street.
I respect the training involved in the arts, but the only way to learn how to fight, is to fight.
just ask Jean-Claude VanDamme, a strong, highly skilled martial artist
who got his a** whipped by a street fighter of his own size, who worked as a bodyguard.
my former wife is a 5' 4" 120 pound career police office;
and no, she can't kick my ass, but she shoots the Glock or Beretta as well as any man...

Deleted

, Rhode Island
#29New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 20:44:43
@rocket325 Said

actually quite a good post about women & self defense.
I agree that any training is better than none.
your stating that your G/F could beat you in a fight is misleading.
unless she is involved in a full contact aspect, the mere getting of a black belt in most martial arts that involve performing katas is no
barometer of fighting ability. points don't count on the street.
I respect the training involved in the arts, but the only way to learn how to fight, is to fight.
just ask Jean-Claude VanDamme, a strong, highly skilled martial artist
who got his a** whipped by a street fighter of his own size, who worked as a bodyguard.
my former wife is a 5' 4" 120 pound career police office;
and no, she can't kick my ass, but she shoots the Glock or Beretta as well as any man...

Yes true. Just having a black belt doesn't necessarily mean you are very good at real fighting...
But really my girlfriend does know much more than just doing katas. I have done some play fighting with her and she is scary good. I get my butt handed to me everytime - I can hardly touch her. I know a real fight is a lot different, but if she is that much better than me when we play around, that has to count for something...

#30New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 21:27:22
@markfox01 Said

Been searching for some one to teach that in birmingham UK. but cant find any one.. that and systema.

The Krav Maga federation has a website that will give you the name and location of any and all certified training centers in your country. They hold seminars all over the world so you might want to check to see if there will be any in the UK.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs